Your viewing journal

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan episode 13 Wedding bells. (Complete. Though the premise did lend to some darkly humorous segments I didn’t find the series overly memorable, though maybe an eventual rewatch might help.) 3/5

Love Live! Superstar!!
episode 9 Namesake.

Lupin III: Part II episodes 144-155 (Complete. I’ve finally finished the series and despite some repetition the stories were quite fun, and I didn’t know Seijun Suzuki supervised some of the series either.) 3.5/5

Last edited:

RadFemHedonist

Thousand Master
A bunch of live-action movies on DVD:

The Red Shoes (1948) 10/10
Speed (1994) 8.5/10
Brick (2005) 9/10
Benny & Joon (1993) 8/10
Dolls (2002) 9/10
Cemetery Junction (2010) 8.5/10

Also tried and dropped

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (just found the opening scene too upsetting)
Dreamgirls (had a lot of potential but I think it needed a better script so I took it out of the player after probably a bit over half an hour of the film)

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace episode 11 Capture. (Complete. A colourful and quirky series let down by the lack of conclusion or satisfying finale.) 3/5

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Film)
It’s been a long time since I first watched this and I found the 4K from Discotek to be great and the film itself is also a very fun Lupin outing from Hayao Miyazaki. 4/5

Lupin III: Part III
episodes 1-4

ActionFaust

Combat Butler
Finished my Macross Delta rewatch. Still my favourite instalment in the franchise. I've come around to like the 2nd cour a bit more on this rewatch and episode 1 remains one of my favourite opening episodes to any series. Just a great introduction to the world, the characters and plenty of good Freyja faces. As for the music, they may not be Yoko Kanno but the trio of TOMISIRO, Saeko Suzuki and Mina Kubota still provided a great soundtrack accompanied with catchy insert songs by the in-universe idol group Walküre. Production was also just really great all round in compositing, character designs, CG and animation. It's good deculture.

Also watched Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning and it's certainly a Tiger & Bunny film based on the first few episodes. Aside from a new villain this really offered nothing interesting. There's barely any character development and the production doesn't look that much different to the series. I'm fairly sure a lot of scenes in the first half were just taken straight from the series anyway. Can understand why this was so often promoted as a stocking filler lol. Hopefully The Rising is more interesting.

Started Hello!! KINMOZA! from the backlog. Yet again more Manga Time Kirara wholesomeness

Love Live! Superstar!!8/--Seasonal
The Legend of the Galactic Heroes64/110Streaming Backlog
Release the Spyce7/12Streaming Backlog
Yona of the Dawn15/24Physical Backlog
Assassination Classroom5/22Physical Backlog
Your Lie in April5/22Physical Backlog
Hello!! KINMOZA!2/12Physical Backlog

RadFemHedonist

Thousand Master
More live-action films :)

Bull Durham (1988) 8/10 - Great baseball-themed sex comedy with real heat and romantic chemistry between the three leads, the opening minute or two seems to be trolling the audience a bit as it's just the sound of a gospel singer kinda humming/warming up to sing the national anthem at a game but once you get past that the rest is very enjoyable (I did think that maybe they were trying to encourage the audience to whet their appetites in anticipation and share the characters' frustrations, tbf to the movie) XD
Inception (2010) 10/10 - I saw this in the cinema when it came out, was a treat watching it again, I couldn't finish Batman Begins so never saw the rest of the Dark Knight trilogy but I love this film it's just so layered and compelling :)
About Time (2013) 9/10 - Excellent time travel rom-com, I've always enjoyed Richard Curtis' work more often than not, but I honestly think this is his best film, surpassing Four Weddings and a Funeral and Notting Hill, I'd also recommend this if you like things like Steins;Gate as I felt it handled the philosophical and emotional issues associated with it in a similarly satisfying way, in spite of the lack of a science fiction element. It did also encourage me to reflect on my life and what it is to live, and I always appreciate films that give me a new perspective on that :)

D1tchd1gger

Flame Haze
Battle Game in 5 Seconds eps 11-12 (complete)
I've got the brains, you've got the brawn...
A battle royale show that started OK with an interesting calculating MC, but started getting worse from about the halfway point. It felt like the writer(s) were making stuff up as they went along. I mean that's what writers do, but there felt like no particular plan, like "damn we've written ourselves into a corner, how do we get out of it?" kinda way. And then the end was a mess with a sort of read the manga, but also see you in season 2 message. I don't think they will be a season 2 and I don't really care enough to bother reading the manga.
Art was pretty poor apart from some of the character designs. For some reason they went with cg for one character, but not the rest! Animation wasn't great either.
5/10

The Aquatope on White Sand
eps 11-12
Typhoon and the end...
Half time report: It could easily end here, but there are 12 more episodes. As it was increasingly looking like the aquarium was going to close it started feeling a little stale as with one scheme after another failing it felt a bit repetitive, but these last two episodes were a bit better as the worst was confirmed and they started to look to the future. Like I said it could have ended here as it was a fairly satisfying, even though it would have been a somewhat open ending. I really don't know what they're going to do from here on though.
One thing I will say is that after initially seeming similar to Sakura Quest, outsider turns up to place in need of help, it hasn't been as fun as I remember that being, but still has been interesting for different reasons. Probably would be an 8 right now.

Fena: Pirate Princess ep 8
Healing.

ActionFaust

Combat Butler
Art was pretty poor apart from some of the character designs. For some reason they went with cg for one character, but not the rest! Animation wasn't great either.
Did this character have a particularly complex design compared to the others? It's often the case that some characters will be CG to put less strain on the production. Big examples would be characters wearing armour like Berserker from Fate/Zero or Goblin Slayer. With so much detail CG is the best solution in the current state of the industry.

And yeah I've heard that series ran into big scheduling issues towards the end. Signs of an industry that definitely needs more anime than they can handle /s

Kite

Thousand Master
Attack on Titan Junior High
Episodes 1 - 12

Latest title from my backlog, was in a AL mystery box from memory as I've not really watched any of the AoT stuff, but a nice little series.

D1tchd1gger

Flame Haze
Did this character have a particularly complex design compared to the others?
He was a big muscly guy, but not the only one. His hair was tightly braided though, don't know if that should be easier to animate compared to the flowing locks on the other guy or not. They stayed stiff and didn't move around naturally (I've seen enough footballers with similar hair to know what it should do at that length) which added to the weirdness.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
NIGHT HEAD 2041 episode 12 Messiahs (Complete. A decent science fiction drama series though not one of the stronger ones I’ve seen.) 3/5

The Heike Story
episode 3 Standing firm.

Lupin III: Part III episodes 5-16

ActionFaust

Combat Butler
He was a big muscly guy, but not the only one. His hair was tightly braided though, don't know if that should be easier to animate compared to the flowing locks on the other guy or not. They stayed stiff and didn't move around naturally (I've seen enough footballers with similar hair to know what it should do at that length) which added to the weirdness.
Dunno then. Sounds like quite the interesting production for all the wrong reasons

Orgun

Dragon Knight
Hokuto no Ken 2 - Episodes 18 - 23

Steel Jeeg - Episodes 43 - 46 [Final]

Now preparing for a review on the mecha podcast.

Getter Robo ARC - Episodes 12 & 13 [Final]

I've enjoyed ARC, the series had good pace and intensity with a thrilling final episode.

Arcadia Of My Youth (Blu-ray)

I've never watched any Captain Harlock anime but reading the excellent Leiji Matsumoto book by Helen McCarthy and Darren-Jon Ashmore earlier in the year I really wanted to get into Harlock. It's a fabulous film, pensive but with some incredibly set pieces, space opera at it's finest and it looks fantastic on Blu-ray.

GoShogun: The Time Etranger (Blu-ray)

I had the original Central Park Media disc back in the 00's and watched it a couple of times then. I knew it was based on a mecha show that I hadn't seen and thought it was OK. Now having watched the GoShogun TV series very recently watching The Time Etranger again was a very different experience. The movie is tonally very different to the TV series (it doesn't have any mecha in it) but with the context of the TV series the characters and their stories make much more sense now and I liked the film much, much more this time round.

Last edited:

Girls with Guns

Combat Butler
Arcadia Of My Youth (Blu-ray)

I've never watched any Captain Harlock anime but reading the excellent Leiji Matsumoto book by Helen McCarthy and Darren-Jon Ashmore earlier in the year I really wanted to get into Harlock. It's a fabulous film, pensive but with some incredibly set pieces, space opera at it's finest and it looks fantastic on Blu-ray.

GoShogun: The Time Etranger (Blu-ray)

I had the original Central Park Media disc back in the 00's and watched it a couple of times then. I knew it was based on a mecha show that I hadn't seen and thought it was OK. Now having watched the GoShogun TV series very recently watching The Time Etranger again was a very different experience. The movie is tonally very different to the TV series (it doesn't have any mecha in it) but with the context of the TV series the characters and their stories make much more sense now and I liked the film much, much more this time round.

I picked up both of these titles on Blu-ray just a few months ago. I've not watched Arcadia of my Youth yet but I am a huge space opera fan so I can't wait to get into it, especially after your review. I have seen the Harlock 3D CGI movie and really enjoyed that. Goshogun I've seen streaming a few years ago and I thought it was really good. I knew it was related to the TV series, but I also knew I wouldn't be interested in the series at all because of the mecha. I liked Time Etranger so much because of the lack of any mecha in it!

D1tchd1gger

Flame Haze
The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace eps 8-11 (complete)
A bright colourful edge-fest. Some elements of the story was actually quite interesting and Miku is a deliciously evil character, but the season just sort of ends. Looked up the manga, seems the source material isn't there to continue at the moment anyway, must be busy with the other story the person responsible for it is writing... Interspecies Reviewers!!!
Art and animation were very good. Some pretty memorable character designs (the manga is illustrated by the person who does Dragon Maid).
7/10

D_Cide eps 11 & 12
In too deep.

The Aquatope on White Sand ep 13
Time skip.

Mini Dragon (Dragon Maid S minis) eps 1-13 + 3/8 specials
A series of short skits featuring characters from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. All pretty good fun, but only a minute long. Favourite was ep 9 where Kanna played hairdresser and made Kobayashi-san some cute hairstyles.
7/10

RonJB

Brigade Leader
Finished Yamada's First Time yesterday.
Enjoyed it, and the commentaries were appropriately filthy.
Now most of the way through Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
Is it just me that is angrily obsessed with the appallingly non-aerodynamic dragons? I'm just too pedantic sometimes. And when will anime get over its twin obsessions with big boobs and loli-girls? I do like Miss Kobayashi, who seems eminently sensible and unflappable amidst all the chaos.