Your viewing journal

Let’s Make a Mug Too episode 6 It’s a mystery.

Selection Project episode 6 Scar.

Taisho Otome Fairy Tale episode 5 Intruder.

Memories (Film) Of the three stories featured here Magnetic Rose certainly made the most impact though Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder had their own qualities and the overall film was an enjoyable experience. 4/5

Restaurant to Another World Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 1

Zombieland Saga Revenge (English Dub) Episode 11

Actually, I Am... Episode 1-13 (Complete. A supernatural comedy with a diverse mixture of characters and a decent but likeable central pair. All though the shows humour didn't always hit it's mark, overall it was still a rather fun watch.) 3.5/5

Komi Can't Communicate
Episode 5 Home visit and pacts.

Let's Make a Mug Too 2 Episode 6 Mystery quiz.

Restaurant to Another World Season 2 Episode 6 Journey and inspiration.

Selection Project Episode 6 Scar.

The Aquatope on White Sand Episode 18 Costume event.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Great Mankai Chapter Episode 6 Slandered.

Memories (Film) Of the three stories featured here Magnetic Rose certainly made the most impact though Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder had their own qualities and the overall film was an enjoyable experience. 4/5

Yeah I always liked all three segments too, I love the whole "one single continuous take" thing that they did with Cannon Fodder, and Stink Bomb is a clever piece of satire, I like how (IIRC) it has this kind of vibe of "everyone's avoiding him the same way they would a colleague that they were evading for much more trivial reasons?" like I might be misremembering or reading too much into it but IDK it was funny anyway. Honestly that poor dude lol. Magnetic Rose is amazing (both for Kon's writing and for Morimoto's excellent animation) but I think it would be a mistake to write off the other two segments! Relatedly, I enjoyed Neo Tokyo as well, I used to collect a lot of what was in the ANN Buried Treasure column by Justin Sevakis and I saw some seriously amazing stuff as a result like the Please Save My Earth OVAs and Time Stranger :)

It's Great To Be Young! (1956) - Charming classic feel-good film about a progressive, jazz-loving, adored music teacher (played by John Mills) who is fired by the school's well-meaning but outdated new headmaster, after which the students revolt, trying their best to get him reinstated at the school (I'm sure that had this film been made a decade later, he would have embraced the Beatles). I used to have this taped off the TV as a child and now I have the DVD, it's a nice rainy day kind of film and still holds up well (also my mum said she likes John Mills when I talked about the film on the phone so I've found something else to watch with her now! Though she's usually happy to watch anime with me as long as it's not something horribly violent or disturbing) :) I also give them credit for not just making the headmaster a horrible dude who it's easy to just hate on completely, like, he misjudges things but you can see that he does actually care about the children.

Castle in the Sky (yet another rewatch, Disney dub) - Yep, still a great movie lol. Though I kinda went off it for a bit at one point a few years ago... but ye I rly like it again now XP I love the nostalgic handcrafted feel of these old cel-animated Ghibli films :)

Maria Watches Over Us (subbed) Season 2 Episodes 1-2 - I've actually seen Seasons 1-3 before, it's only Season 4 that's gonna be new to me and I've seen the first half or so of that too, I believe, but anyway yeah this is really enjoyable still
I can't wait for the bit about the catholic girl and Buddhist girl who fall for each other and have a conflict over wanting to follow a different path in faith than was handed down to them, that was sooo moving and I'll always remember that beautiful shot of the statue of the two monks or nuns supporting each other 😭 🥰

Randomly started rewatching Fantastic Children but not finished the first ep yet as I started just before bed then got sleepy, also rewatched somewhere between half and three quarters of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang :)

Picked up a massive box of old anime for £100 yesterday, and am now ploughing my way through stuff I've not seen in years (or ever).
So far:
Puni Puni Poemy
Akira
Rayearth collection
Dangaioh

Attachments

• 251875976_3745494859008268_6499370228585322373_n.jpg
    251875976_3745494859008268_6499370228585322373_n.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 6
Bubblegum Crash: First anime series I bought was Bubblegum Crisis 2040, so this was an interesting variation on the theme.
Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox: a Korean anime with a very watercolour-esque palette and a very poignant tale of a little fox girl with five tails (or nine tails in some of the subtitled). Also involved a gang of shipwrecked aliens trying to repair their spaceship.

Started

Demon Slayer S1
Promised Neverland S2

Seasonal up to date with

Restaurant to another world
Can I make a mug to
[That KEY anime short that I've forgotten its name]

Need to continue

Zombieland Saha

Finished

Card Captor Sakura

Dragon Half: Silly but fun although, with just two 25 minute episodes, way too short and under-developed... sadly,

Sol Bianca 1&2: Good action packed all-girl pirate crew in space. Reminded me a lot of Blake's 7, with the ship seeming to be somhow pinched from an advanced alien civilisation and the crew accidently helping the downtrodden while stealing treasure/supplies.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom (English Dub) Episode 8

My Senpai is Annoying (English Dub) Episode 1

My Senpai is Annoying Episode 5 Valentine's day.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! Episode 14 Truce.

86 EIGHTY-SIX Part 2 episode 6 Notes.

Lupin III: Part VI episode 4 The twin dilemma.

MUTEKING THE Dancing HERO episode 6 Struggles.

My Senpai is Annoying episode 5 Valentine.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! episode 14 Not alone.

World Trigger 3rd Season episode 5 Impact.

Midnight Eye: Goku An atmospheric sci-fi OVA from the late 1980s which delivered a decent enough story and some stylish direction from Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who also directed the likes of Ninja Scroll and Demon City Shinjuku as well as providing key animation for Memories which I watched recently. 3.5/5

Millennium Actress (Film)
An effective film from the late Satoshi Kon which takes a biopic storyline and blends it with fantasy to create an engaging and poignant narrative. 4/5

Last edited:
Midnight Eye: Goku An atmospheric sci-fi OVA from the late 1980s which delivered a decent enough story and some stylish direction from Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who also directed the likes of Ninja Scroll and Demon City Shinjuku as well as a segment of Memories which I watched recently. 3.5/5

Millennium Actress (Film)
An effective film from the late Satoshi Kon which takes a biopic storyline and blends it with fantasy to create an engaging and poignant narrative. 4/5

AFAIK he directed the Running Man segment from Neo Tokyo, but the directors for Memories were Koji Morimoto (Magnetic Rose), Tensai Okamura (Stink Bomb), and Katsuhiro Otomo (Cannon Fodder) :)

I keep meaning to rewatch Millennium Actress :)

AFAIK he directed the Running Man segment from Neo Tokyo, but the directors for Memories were Koji Morimoto (Magnetic Rose), Tensai Okamura (Stink Bomb), and Katsuhiro Otomo (Cannon Fodder) :)

I keep meaning to rewatch Millennium Actress :)
Yes I missed out mentioning his work on key animation for Memories as opposed to directing.

Rei Rei: saucy story of a love goddess from the moon who heals broken relationships. It was probably quite adult back in the 90s, but the only part that would now case problems is the scene of the evil bisexual murderess poisoning her girlfriend by inducing an anaphylactic shock. In Japanese with burned on English subtitles
Gigolo: the other film on this double disc is the story of a budding male sex worker who gets caught up in a mob battle and a female assassin. In English (only option).
Dominion Tank Police: Quite enjoyable but silly. Only the first two episodes, of police using tanks in the city trying to stop criminals stealing urine from a hospital, in a polluted world. Apparently given away with PlayStation 2 consoles (according to the case).
Macross - Do You Remember Love: progenitor of so many later anime series. Battle of the sexes, giant humanoid aliens, the song that won the war etc. Japanese with burned on English subtitles. Also an email address for the company who did the subtitles appeared every ten minutes or so.
Macross II - Super Dimensional Fortress: sequel to the above, with the music battle becoming more intense. In English (only option).

I must say this delving into the archaeology of Anime is quite interesting, and shows the genesis of so many now cliches. It also shows how far the technology and scriptwriting has come in the last 30 or so years.
Now on to Macross Plus.

Macross Plus the movie: Not much sight of the eponymous fortress until 3/4 of the way through, and the storyline wasn't grabbing me as much as the previous movies.
Kanokon episodes 1-6: Complete change from all the action/violence, as we go back to school with a sex crazed fox spirit lusting after a poor human boy, and fighting off her rival wolf-girl. Fun and perverted.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 13

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 44 (Complete)

Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut Episode 6 Insubordination.

Mieruko-chan Episode 6 Prayer answered.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Season Episode 17 Forgive and forget.

Ping Pong the Animation eps 4 & 5

Taisho Otome Fairy Tale ep 5
Happy Birthday!

My Senpai is Annoying ep 5
Valentines.

The Aquatope on White Sand ep 18
Dressing up.

Back