Your viewing journal

Super Cub ep1-2

This was really not what I'd expected at all. The second episode is a little closer to standard SOL fare, but the first is almost like a short film in its own right; it conjures up a palpable sense of the loneliness in the main character's life and finds remarkable drama in the smallest of things. I had a vague idea beforehand of how important and iconic the Super Cub is in Japan, but I think the show does an excellent job of conveying what it's like to be a teenager getting their first motorbike, and the transformative feeling of freedom that can bring with it.

Wolf's Rain
Perhaps the characters are dull and unmotivated?
For what it's worth (not really a lot), that's the impression I got of the show from the one solitary trailer I've seen, and I've stayed away from it ever since, despite all the praise I've heard. It just looks to me like it could be really draggy and energy-sapping and, yeah, perhaps a chore to get through.

For what it's worth (not really a lot), that's the impression I got of the show from the one solitary trailer I've seen, and I've stayed away from it ever since, despite all the praise I've heard. It just looks to me like it could be really draggy and energy-sapping and, yeah, perhaps a chore to get through.
Yeah looking back on it, the characters do not develop at all. They have a trope they fall into and stick to it like glue.

Violet Evergarden Japan Tour Film
- I will score them after all 4, I’ve watched VE twice and this has been my best experience of the starting three episodes, may be the film edit, may be the better subs, may be cos I’m older but I enjoyed this more than watching the three episodes.

Fairy Tail
ep 1-265, Phoenix Priestess, Dragon Cry all rewatch, then Zero and Final season first time

Oh boy what a ride. I'm a real sucker for the do whatever it takes for your chosen family trope that these shonen shows thrive on. So I cried a lot. It helps that the main cast is so endearing. The show is also a master at choosing which characters can be redeemed which makes for great tv and story moments. The action is great and the humour mostly lands (almost all of Happys snarky little side comments had me laughing)

It isn't perfect by any means. Theres a few too many coincidences and a few things that couldve been good mysteries are just revealed with no prior seeding. Also the first big filler arc is pretty bad and the butt jiggle gang are, quite frankly, a crime against the show.

Anyway overall I loved it.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched ep 2
New recruits.
One is definitely just a different version of Megumin, the others do seem different to the Konosuba team, but are all equally misfits.

Megalo Box: NOMAD ep 2
Mi casa es su casa.

MARS RED ep 2
The vamps that have been dealt with so far don't seem to be massive threats and there's no real hint of a big bad, so unlike the other historical supernatural show this season, Jouran, there feels like there's no direction to the story yet. So rule of 3 for this show.

Vivy ep 3
To space.
There was another short WTF is happening scene at the end again where there must have been a short time skip because a character was doing one thing over there is now doing something different over here and is just totally confusing and again probably should have been in the next episode rather than stuffed in this one.

Those Snow White Notes ep 3
Memories.

Cells at Work: CODE BLACK (English Dub) Episode 6

So I'm a Spider, So What (English Dub) Episode 9

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter (English Dub) Episode 8

Blue Reflection Ray Episode 2

So I'm a Spider, So What? Episode 14 Rebellion.

SSSS.Dynazenon Episode 3 Trustworthy?

Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood ep1

A spy-themed fantasy, set in an alternative 1931 where the Tokugawa Shogunate never ended, I initially thought this was gearing up to be something intricate and unusual, but to my disappointment, by the end of the episode, it's showing its hand as something much pulpier and more familiar. It is a tremendously good looking show though, with some nice use of heavy, brush-like linework during the action scenes and some beautiful art design for its wintry retro-future setting.

Odd Taxi ep1

While I would probably have dismissed this at a glance as a 4-koma adaptation of something like Africa Salaryman, the jovial anthropomorphic animals are here acting out what must be the unlikeliest looking neo noir imaginable. Following a grouchy, insomniac cabbie who is somehow linked to the disappearance of a teenage girl, and the sneering policeman looking to fit him up for the crime, this is an unexpected breath of fresh air, being closer to the Harry Canyon segment of Heavy Metal than anything I've yet seen before in anime.

Last edited:
over last couple of weeks i've watched:
eps 1-88 of Hunter x Hunter
Hunter x Hunter movie 1: Phantom Rouge
Hunter x Hunter movie 2: The Last Mission

...its confirmed that i have a thing for psycho characters as Hisoka is my fave.

Back Arrow episode 15 Unquiet riot.

Blue Reflection Ray episode 2 Yandere vibes.

Burning Kabaddi episode 3 Dead ends.

So I'm a Spider, So What? episode 14 Suffer well.

SSSS.DYNAZENON episode 3 It wouldn’t be a Trigger anime without going into space.

The World Ends with You The Animation episode 2 To have a dream.

Those Snow White Notes episode 3 Clear sounds.

A Good Librarian like a Good Shepard episodes 10-12 (Complete. A series that tried for a more involving storyline alongside the SoL content but was otherwise an average to okay watch overall.) 3/5

∀ Gundam
episodes 1-15, 16 was a recap episode.

@Dan @Vincentdante @Neil.T I actually rewatched Wolf's Rain fairly recently, as in like less than a year ago I think (on DVD no less as I've heard the BD is just a Funi upscale and has major image issues?) I honestly really enjoyed it, and think the English dub is absolutely excellent. It is sad but I thought it was profound and beautiful, I didn't even really mind the recap eps. Just goes to show that nothing is for everyone I guess :) I have been finally watching Violet Evergarden now that I have the AL Blu-ray set :) I also watched the first half of SAO Alternative Gun Gale Online (because it was written by the author of Kino's Journey and I LOVE Kino's Journey), I don't like it as much as Kino's Journey but it is interesting for sure, I will finish it soon hopefully. I also rewatched Princess Arete and started rewatching Pom Poko and watching Amanchu which is very cute, but I do just find it really hard watching anime subbed these days as my attention span is terrible :(

Last edited:
Horimiya (English Dub) Episode 10

My Hero Academia Season 5 (English Dub) Episode 2

86 EIGHTY-SIX Episode 2

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! Episode 2 Let the games begin.

Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro Episode 2 Tooth and fingers.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level Episode 2 Growing family.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 4 Tactical teamwork.

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song Episode 4 Sacrifice.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season Episode 24 Quite the funky intro to the new season.

86 EIGHTY-SIX episode 2 Speaking out.

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro episode 2 Bite.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level episode 2 Spirits.

My Hero Academia Fifth Season episode 92 Match-up.

Shadows House episode 2 Treasure.

Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song- episode 4 Gone to Earth.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Season 2 episode 1 Hoping for more fun antics this season.

∀ Gundam episodes 17-34

I agree with you guys on the characters in Wolf's Rain, as I didn't find them endearing nor well developed in general either, but would also still recommend the series on the basis of the lore & Yoko Kanno's fantastic work on the soundtrack.

Vampire Hunter D
Solid film. Less action but now character work than Bloodlust. The art was excellent and the animation was mostly good but could be a bit stilted at times. Also the modern dub was excellent.

Seven Days War Spanish dub
Really enjoyed this. Started out thinking it would be a simple love story but quickly changed gears as the group discover a child on the run. Could be funny but had strong emotional moments and the actiony parts were well done too.

Gamers!
Great little series. Worth watching just for episode 6 really which was a triumph of comedic storytelling.

And a couple of live action titles from MVM

Ninja Battle
Low budget but an entertaining game of cat and mouse as 3 ninjas come across a dead ally and a woman tied up beside his corpse and try to find out the truth from her.

High Kickers
martial arts drama that had dome nice moments. The ending was a bit corny

Ascendance of Bookworm (Japanese) - Episodes 1-4

It's got a pretty slow start but I'm still absolutely engrossed with it. Gives me similar vibes to Snow White with the Red Hair.

Back