Your viewing journal

Love, Chunibyo, and other Delusions! eps 1-6

Love this! Chunibyo are the best! It's a very sweet show, and I imagine watching Rikka run about as Dark Lord Shingan or whatever will never grow stale. Also the first seeds of romantic feelings between her and the guy are just about starting to come through now, so I'm looking forward to this show becoming even more heart warming over its course. It's a great looking show too, I love the warm colour pallete and vibe, it makes the very normal environments look beautiful. This show is kind of like an ode to the power of imagination,

Love this! Chunibyo are the best! It's a very sweet show, and I imagine watching Rikka run about as Dark Lord Shingan or whatever will never grow stale. Also the first seeds of romantic feelings between her and the guy are just about starting to come through now, so I'm looking forward to this show becoming even more heart warming over its course. It's a great looking show too, I love the warm colour pallete and vibe, it makes the very normal environments look beautiful. This show is kind of like an ode to the power of imagination,

Aww you made the show sound so nice! I will try and make time for my season 1 Blu-ray soon :)

There is a standard edition of Mysteria friends
Ah right you are, thanks. I will definitely get that if it goes on sale heh.

I loved the humour and mick take in this show especially with the characters' horror at the reveal of past obsessions and all the flashy and wonderfully animated delusions crashing down to reality with a good thonk from a frying pan to the head heh.

Bodacious Space Pirates - finished now and it was a good series overall, I'm glad I stuck it out after the first arc. Only criticque I would have was how safe it played things for a show about pirates but then I guess it's no worse than pirates of the caribbean in that regard.

Shin Godzilla - live action shonen anime courtesy of Manga UK, or rather I guess no one told them they got the wrong Godzilla license. Jabs against Manga aside I've been on a bit of a Godzilla binge lately and this was a very good one although the heavy political hyperbole might make it a hard one to rewatch so quickly as I certainly got my fill from one sitting. I might pick up the blu-ray down the road.

Oh, I didn't know they shared a composer. 😯
That's really interesting.

I've got Your Lie on DVD but haven't watched it yet.
I always recommend it ad infinitum to anyone remotely interested in anime (until they leave the room or throw me out heh). During my first watch (of far too many...) I thought it seemed very generic initially but was completely hooked by the end, given the lovingly realised characters, and one of my favourite scores of all time. A real gem in my opinion.

Bodacious Space Pirates - finished now and it was a good series overall, I'm glad I stuck it out after the first arc. Only criticque I would have was how safe it played things for a show about pirates but then I guess it's no worse than pirates of the caribbean in that regard.

Shin Godzilla - live action shonen anime courtesy of Manga UK, or rather I guess no one told them they got the wrong Godzilla license. Jabs against Manga aside I've been on a bit of a Godzilla binge lately and this was a very good one although the heavy political hyperbole might make it a hard one to rewatch so quickly as I certainly got my fill from one sitting. I might pick up the blu-ray down the road.
There's also a movie sequel to Bodacious Space Pirates called Abyss of Hyperspace. It's on Hidive if you have that, I don't think it got a UK physical release.

Back Arrow episode 8 Two sides of the psyche.

Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) episode 20 Deadly bloom.

So I'm a Spider, So What? episode 8 Soul ablaze.

Shaolin Wooden Men (Film) A decent martial arts flick where Jackie Cham plays the mute protagonist. I thought the Blu Ray looked very solid as well, am glad 88Films have done well with these releases.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Rewatch+Chronological order) episodes 12-13, skimmed most of endless eight, 18-28 (Complete. An enjoyable rewatch - especially thanks to Kyon, though the movie-making arc was still mean-spirited in places. That said, there are still some fun episodes to be had here, and the movie+shorts should be a good rewatch too.) 3.5/5

So I'm a Spider, So What? (English Dub) Episode 2

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter (English Dub) Episode 1

Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki Episode 8 Fruitless endeavour.

King's Raid: Successors of the Will Episode 22 Friend or foe?

So I'm a Spider, So What? Episode 8 Soul on fire.

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter Episode 8 Plea.

WIXOSS Diva(A)Live Episode 8 Pool party and blackmail.

Adieu Galaxy Express 999 (Japanese) Film

I love the first movie but I have so many mixed feelings here with Adieu. It starts off with a really intriguing narrative hook but then proceeds to play the greatest hits of the first movie with some new (utterly pointless) characters and more grandiose ending. So I’m glad I didn’t watch the first movie again right before watching this or I’d probably down right hate it. Metalmena could have been an interesting character but she’s so under explored that her character arc is a little nonsensical, I see what they were going for at least. Don’t even get me started on Faust tho, just... don’t. Visually, it’s of course as wonderful to look at as the first movie and has a wonderful soundtrack, even if it’s use within in the movie is a little overbearing in some scenes.

I don’t want to be too down on it. I hope that whenever I decide to watch the GE movies again my opinion is changed and something about the movie clicks but for now it’s just... okay.

P.S.: Sayonara may be one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

I actually really enjoyed Basilisk and found it quite creative and unsettling. Better than the Ninja Scroll TV anime IMO, had a distinctly Kawajiri-esque flair in some key aspects (though the art direction style didn't have his blues).

Back