Your viewing journal

Weathering With You (Jonathan Clements commentary)

Having now listened to big JC's typically informative and entertaining talk track for the film, I now feel rather guilty of treating it like a typical summer blockbuster and watching it with my brain firmly in neutral. There's a lot of subtlety to its storytelling that I just did not pick up on, perhaps because I didn't expect that to be there in the first place. I'm not sure that this makes me like the film any more than I already did, something about Shinkai's films never quite clicks for me, but I do appreciate the sheer craft that's gone into it more than before.

Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (English dub) ep1-2

Rewatching a bit of the Fujiko series to support Screen Anime's stream, this being the first time I've seen it dubbed. The dub is very solid, with Michelle Ruff on excellent form as Fujiko in a much expanded role (she even dubs the spoken word opening!) and Richard Epcar arguably proving a better fit as Zenigata in this serious outing than he was as Jigen in the sillier Pioneer dubs.

Lupin III: Part 2 ep20-21 (English dub)

Kind of so-so, these two. 20 brings some good ideas to the table for a Goemon-centric episode (especially the 'oh snap' ending), but is a bit marred by its execution, failing to bring enough tension to key scenes with Goemon's rival in court. 21 on the other hand, has some particularly nice visual gags as Lupin and Jigen end up in a siren-like cult's compound, but kind of annoyed me as the villains showed little clear motive for their scheme to rapidly age their victims. It would be interesting to know if they play any better in Japanese than English, but Amazon does not provide the option. Nor does Amazon appear to provide episode 24, for some reason.

Cop Craft
This was a really fun watch. The odd couple dynamic worked really well. The mix of fantasy elements into a crime show was great. The animation and the dub were both great.

Fairy Gone
For such a great premise, action, drama, good animation this show was surprisingly boring for me. I didnt like the main character Marlya and it really affected my enjoyment and engagement.

Classroom of the Elite
This was so good. The scheming and reveals were great to watch play out. The cast was varied and interesting. Really hopes this gets a second season at some point.

By the Grace of the Gods (English Dub) Episode 3

Sword Art Online Alicization: -War of Underworld- Part 2 (English Dub) Episode 14

Warlords of Sigrdrifa (English Dub) Episode 2

By the Grace of the Gods Episode 7 Business venture.

Maesetsu! -Opening Act- Episode 6 A brief setback.

Talentless Nana Episode 7 All according to plan.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 174 A slithery appearance.

By the Grace of the Gods episode 7 Home.

Maesetsu! Opening Act episode 6 Setback.

Moriarty the Patriot episode 6 Sherlock debuts.

Talentless Nana episode 7 Yandere morality.

Finished off rewatching Miami Vice Season 1 as well.

Sigrdrifa ep 7
Fallen comrades.

Dropout Idol Fruit Tart ep 6
Watching brief.

That is the Bottleneck ep 6
Unrequited love.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle ep 7
New surroundings.

Dropout Idol Fruit Tart episode 6 Fullness.

Golden Kamuy 3rd Season episode 31 Warmth.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle episode 7 Go to Sleep.

Started rewatching Miami Vice Season 2 also.

Last edited:
Ping Pong episodes 1 - 11

Another title from my backlog (pretty sure this was included in a AL Xmas mystery box a couple years ago), interesting story involving around Ping Pong. The one thing I did notice is the vast majority of the characters were male, only 2 females recurring.

Black Clover episode 152 The birds.

Ikebukuro West Gate Park episode 7 Once in a lifetime.

Also giving The Crown a watch.

The Next War Ehrgeiz - Episodes 7 - 12 [Final]

The majority of the second half of Ehrgeiz was rather good and episode 8 was an absolute cracker although the ending wrapped up a bit too quickly like a lot of these series do. I had quite low expectations of Ehrgeiz based on what I knew about it, it sounded incredibly derivative and despite it actually being very derivative and having nothing that stood out about it Ehrgeiz was simple easy fun and I really quite enjoyed it in the end.

Talentless Nana ep 7
Zombie army.
Another excellent episode with the way Nana first outwitted her opponent and then exposed her lies about her "boyfriend".

The Day I Became a God ep 6
Summer festival.

Moriarty the Patriot ep 6
Provocation.

Ikebukuro West Gate Park ep 7
Un-masked.

Noblesse ep 7
Relationship advice.

Golden Kamuy s3 e7
Blizzard.

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (English Dub) Episode 4

Bamboo Blade Episode 14-26 (Complete. A decent martial art's anime with a likeable and quirky cast who bounced off each other quite well. The matches where also pretty enthralling to watch.) 3.5/5

DOGEZA: I Tried Asking
Episode 4 Off script.

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Episode 7 Undercover.

Strike Witches: Road to Berlin Episode 7 Bouncy.

Kimisen, Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World episode 7 Marked.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear episode 7 Bear rival.

Noblesse episode 7 A date?

Continued my watch of The Crown as well.

Back