Your viewing journal

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Sarazanmai episode 10 Barrel of a gun.

Miami Vice: Season Five episode 17 (18-21 take place before the finale but were never aired and were thus dubbed “lost episodes”.) This was a lot of fun to to watch and the series gets gradually darker in tone as it progresses.

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody episodes 1-12 (Complete. Not much to say on this one, it’s fairly standard Isekai and was generally pleasant and relaxed in tone asides from some quieter more serious moments and the action setpieces.) 3.5/5

Dragon Slayer

Mad Scientist
Wise Man's Granchild (English Dub) Episode 10

Fight League: Gear Gadget Generators Episode 18

Operation Han-Gyaku-Sei Million Arthur 2nd Season Episode 11

Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? Episode 10 (Less Censored)

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Gall Force: Earth Chapter OVA 2

The writing still feels a bit awkward in places (why exactly did the MME need Sandy to fire up the anti-missile satellites again?) and GORN’s constant nefarious laughter has something of the pantomime villain about it, but it’s all quite endearing really. Animation has smoothed out again and there’s a better ED theme this time too.

WMD

Dragon Knight
Kizumonogatari part 1

Really enjoyed it. Another great addition to the monogatari franchise with some pretty incredible animation. Also the booklet in the collectors edition has a nice interview with both the original author and the director that's worth a read imo.

WMD

Dragon Knight
Actually started this yesterday and have been watching since kizu but just finished Martian Successor Nadesico. Fun show if mostly nonsense. The self aware humour definitely added to it and made it improve as it went along.

NormanicGrav

The Quintessential Pouts
AUKN Staff
Isekai Quartet (Japanese audio) - Episode 10
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind (Japanese audio) - Episode 34
The Rising of the Shield Hero (Japanese audio) - Episode 23

WMD

Dragon Knight
Nadesico The Movie. Was pretty good but the ending felt a bit rushed. Could've been 10mins longer and I think they could've rounded out the story a bit better. A bit more serious than the show but still had plenty of humour.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Ao-Chan Can’t Study! episode 11 Stupid silky panties.

Fruits Basket (2019) episode 11 A sad story and a hot spring trip.

Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu episode 11 Army of cranes and rich girl blues.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind episode 34 Body swap.

Senryu Girl episode 11 Third wheeling at the festival.

Denki-Gai! episodes 1-12 (Complete. Pretty humorous and good fun with a relaxed feel that made it easy to binge. There were even some great poignant moments too. If I had any criticisms some of the humour didn’t quite land with me but I still found this quite enjoyable, another worthy blind watch.) 3.5/5

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Kakegurui XX ep1-2

My memory of the first season's ending is hazy, but I can't see any obvious sign of them having retconned anything to get S2 up and running. That said, it does get off to a shaky start, and I do find myself wondering if it would have worked better had they been able to conclusively end the series in a single season. The faces are still glorious though.

Dragon Slayer

Mad Scientist
Fruits Basket (2019) (English Dub) Episode 11
Story time and Hot Springs.

Ao-chan Can't Study Episode 11
Going prepared and Suggestive hints.

Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu Episode 11
Lots of Origami and a rich people blues.

Senryu Girl Episode 11
So sweet and cute.

Time for the great catch up to start. I'm going to drop AFTERLOST because it's not very good and put YU-NO on hold because it seems a show that needs to be binged. I might also drop Fairy Gone, but I'll give a few more episodes.

Some shorts to start:
Joshi Kausei eps 8-10
Rainy day and making friends.

Nobunaga-sensei eps 8-10
The wet nurse and the trap!

Ao-chan eps 8-11
Bento, sports day and silky panties.
Continues to tread a thin line between a serious study/lewd comedy of having to choose between pursuing love or studying for your dream. Episode 9 was really good, but then the dad showed up a bit too much in 10.

OK, catch up on hold as Netflix reminded me, it's time to:

ROCK OUT

Aggretsuko s2 eps 1-10 (dub) (complete)
Not quite as funny as the first season, maybe because the USP of a cute red panda rocking out to get rid of her frustrations has started to wear thin. Story wise it didn't start as strong as the first either although got better, whereas I thought the first tailed off a bit. Overall I'd score it the same way.
7/10

And seeing as I'm there might as well finish off:
Revisions eps 10-12 (dub) (complete)
I really liked that ending, it had an interesting twist and some good emotional beats. The MC eventually realised what a brat he had been and you forgive him a little for it. I suppose grudging respect for believing in something so strong as well, especially after the twist reveals the message Milo gives him wasn't actually meant for him!
The action was pretty cool and the CG was OK.
7/10
@Adam-M Now I've finished it, I think I would recommend it. Also whilst the score is fairly low on MAL those who finished it seem to rate it a bit higher (looking at the posts in the final episode thread).

WMD

Dragon Knight
Tatami Galaxy

Never seen this before though I've already seen Mind Game, Night is Short and Lu Over the Wall. So my expectations were pretty high and I have to say this series never really lived up to those films. I found it really mean spirited to begin with but by the end I was far more into it. I feel his crazy story telling style works better in a more condensed shorter form.

Aaron

Combat Butler
I watched We Without Wings episode 1. It was bad. Very very bad.

Most of the reviews I've seen said it gets a lot better after the first three episodes, but episode 1 was so awful, I don't think I ever want to watch anime again.

WMD

Dragon Knight
Hmm. That's interesting, I would have put Tatami Galaxy above Yuasa's film work by quite a margin. Even Night is Short never really clicked for me in the same way.

Yeah I know it's really highly regarded which possibly raised my expectations too high. My main issue in the early episodes was

That is got a but miserable watching ozu repeatedly ruin the main characters life for no reason other than his own sadistic pleasure. That's what I meant by mean spirited. It just got tiring quickly.

In later episodes and the penultimate episode especially it was a lot more entertaining and enjoyable.