Your viewing journal

Kaguya-sama ep 1

Top!

Endro~! ep 1

Very cute, not sure if I will watch it yet as I need a couple more eps to see if the characters do it for me or not.

Last edited:
The Quintessential Quintuplets episode 1 - A good opening episode and from the looks of things it doesn't seem to fall into the usual trappings of it's genre. Should be a good watch. Checking another seasonal show and then I should be set for this winter.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero episodes 5-6

I've been watching stuff here and there rather than having time for a proper session over the last few days. So I've concentrated mainly on first episodes of new shows.
Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka ep 1
Some pretty kick-ass action with some kick-ass tunes.

Endro~! ep 1
Speaking of magical girls, although this one is set in a fantasy world, so to be expected. Seems like another fun show.
PS_Messages_20190112_201324.jpg
PHENOMINAL COSMIC POWER... itty bitty living space.
PS_Messages_20190112_201335.jpg

Katana Maidens ~ Mini Toji ep 1
Yeah, takes place between the 2 cours. Even though I liked the show and it's only a short, I'm not sure I'm particularly bothered with these comic chibi skits.

Domestic Girlfriend ep 1
The circumstance the MC finds himself in is ridiculously coincidental with his dad getting married to the mother of not only the sensei he fancies, but also the random girl he lost his virginity to. It seemed it was going to play it fairly seriously dispite that, so close!

Ueno-San ep 2
The first segment was quite funny, but the second one was a bit awkward.

The Magnificent Kotobuki ep 1
Seems like a mostly CG show, so better than shows that mix like hand drawn background/CG characters or switching the characters between 2d and 3d.
The characters still have that occasional weirdness to them, but the mechanical stuff were good.
Not much of the story or info about the characters was revealed, but the dogfights were mostly pretty cool (the wide shots were a bit dull, but the FP camera and the following camera stuff were good) and had excellent sound design.

That's every first episode show from this season watched, bar Kemono Friends s2 and the Netflix shows. Of the new stuff it's mostly the more serious stuff that's piqued my interest Boogiepop, Dororo and TPN. Also Mob 2 had a great start. Of the fluffier stuff I'd say Endro is my favourite.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 89 Can’t say I didn’t say that coming. Episode title sort of gave it away.

How Clumsy you are, Miss Ueno episode 2 Very bizarre, wasn’t sure whether to laugh or awkwardly chuckle at the proceedings.

The Magnificent Kotobuki episode 1 Some decent aerial dogfights and the 3D CG isn’t too bad.

Tsurune episode 12 A rather tense atmosphere this week. Hoping the finale is good.

Elegant Yokai Apartment Life episodes 1-17

On Your Mark (1994)

I've wanted to see this Ghibli music video for years - it's a really neat little short and the track isn't bad either. Quite makes me wish Ghibli had leaned more into sci-fi films than fantasy latterly.

Mob Psycho II ep1

They've got Kenji Kawai doing the bgm this season? Those absolute madmen. I love it.

Dragon Pilot ep1

Oh look, it's GATE, if GATE wasn't completely terrible. Just kidding. Not kidding at all.

Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child! Episode 11

Megalo Box (English Dub) Episode 4

Radiant (English Dub) Episode 11

Senran Kagura Shinovi Master -Tokyo Youma Chapter- (English Dub) Episode 9 (Uncensored)

Zombie Land Saga (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Fairy Tail Episode 291

How Clumsy you are, Miss Ueno Episode 2
Shimoneta strikes again. Hilarious but also creepy and awkward.

The Magnificent Kotobuki Episode 1
Really good aerial battles and the 3D CG is actually good.

Tsurune: Kazemai High School Archery Club Episode 12
So telling the group their Sensei was in a accident and increasing the teams anxiety right before a match? Yeah... Great Idea, like there wasn't enough already on their plates. Lets hope for a positive conclusion.

My Viewing schedule for the week of 7th January - 13th January 2019

Week 4 of my official uk anime release marathon.

4. 2019.1.07.jpg

Naruto, one of the first manga series i ever followed so lots of Nostalgia here lol
The opening arc is a good introductory arc, episodes 4 and 5 with the Bell test with Kakashi is the first time Naruto shows how good a series it could be. I have no idea why I liked Sakura 14 years ago, she really is a completely hopeless character.
The Zabuza arc is where the series really starts and while the manga version is excellent i cant say the same for the anime version, it's censored to start with lol, no arms or heads being cut of, Tsunami doesn't threaten suicide when the samurai guys threaten to kill her son.
However my biggest problem with the Zabuza arc in the anime is the pacing, 14 episodes was too long for such a short arc, I never noticed it until now but every episode begins with the final 2-5 minutes of the previous episode to make the arc last longer so that they can get a higher episode count with the material covered. it's really annoying and having to fast forward the first 5 minutes every episode was irritating.
The last 7 episodes cover the beginning of the chuunin exams, this is where things start to get much better, we meet new interesting characters and the psychological battle through the written exam is really good. however there is 2 filler episodes in here and they are pretty bad especially episode 26 which acts as a recap and interview episode and it's done extremely badly.

Simply put Naruto has a pretty rough start but the good outshines the bad.

Bubblegum Crisis (Episodes 1-3)
Love the music for this series.
Episode 1 is pretty good, i like the setting and the characters. I did find the episode a little plot conveniant considering Priss finds the missing girl in the first abandoned building she runs into while running away from the bad guys but other than that it was good.
Episode 2 is much better and got a lot darker than i expected with the Genom corporation showing how ruthless they are willing to be to keep things secret.
Episode 3 was ok but they used the exact same plot move to motivate the characters into action that they used in the previous episode, so then the Knight Sabre's just straight out assassinate the bad guy and Leon the AD Police guy seems to be ok with this lol.
We all know the Genom dude was a bad guy but you cant just kill him without repercussions unless you have justifiable cause lol so hoping this gets picked up on in the next episode.

Dororo episode 2 Atmospheric and tense.

Mob Psycho 100 II episode 2 Pretty eerie stuff this week, a nice juxtaposition to the comedy of the first half.

Elegant Yokai Apartment Life episodes 18-26 (Complete. A very comfy supernatural series that whilst simple and a bit slow at times was a very relaxing watch and it had some inventiveness that aided some of the arcs. The ending felt a bit nothing though, so maybe they’ll make another season eventually.) 3.5/5

Free! Starting Days (Film) A solid prequel that set up the backstories for the characters and how they met. It felt familiar in its plot structure but was refreshing in that the cast were younger and less experienced. Unfortunately the middle act was bogged down a bit with a lot of moping but all in all a decent addition to the franchise, and highly recommended to fans who watched the rest of Free! 3.5/5

Kemono Friends eps 7-12 (complete)
A fun infotainment show where we meet lots of different animal girls, but also there was an intriguing plot sprinkled in with the 11th episode actually ending with quite a dramatic impact.
The character designs are all pretty good and the soundtrack has some banging chuuunes! Although some of it is fairly bland. The CG is quite bad, but there's a charm to it.
7/10

Welcome to Japari Park ONA eps 1-11 (complete, for now)
A series of shorts seemingly set before the events of the first season. There is a story, but only about 2-3 minutes of the running time is dedicated to it so it gets interrupted all the time by the end of the episode. The art seems a bit more hand drawn and the animation is more puppet like with less moving parts. The fighting bits are drawn like a classic JRPG, I'm guessing this is aping the game the show is based of.
Next episode isn't due till April which would be after...

Kemono Friends s2 e1
Seems to be a sequel of sorts, but quite a while after. Lots of story beats from the first season have been repeated so far and there is no longer a mystery to the park, so it's lost something that the first season had. Also the info about the various animals that were in the middle of each episode in the first season (I guess each side of the ads on TV) has been cut, aparantly due to the rights for the footage used only being for Japan!
The character designs seem a little bit more rounded out with a little bit less detail, but the animation is a little smoother and has more moving parts. The opposite could be said for the enemy creatures though which look quite bad.

Mob Psycho 100 II episode 2 - This episode really makes me wonder how good a Bones adaptation of Junji Ito's works would be. It certainly had the vibes to it. At this point I'd be happy with anything better than whatever Studio Deen did last year.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime episode 15

Fairy Tail (English Dub) Episode 288

Girls Last Tour (English Dub) Episode 1—12 (Complete)

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (English Dub) Episode 12

Dororo Episode 2

Pastel Memories Episode 2

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 15
New op and ed this week! Major peace and Alliance talks. More naming, and a surprise visitor along with a duel. Plus a new nation is formed.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime episode 15
Yes, new OP and ED. What was used as the first cour OP/ED was spoilerific and removed all possible tension because you know characters aren't dead yet (properly) because they've been at the end of every episode since the beginning. The first cour's OP should've been all slime stuff and what not. I've never read the source material but I just assume who will live and die based on the fact that they're farting about in the OP/ED. I read a review on ANN a few weeks ago that talked about how unsure you were of the outcome with the first conflict with the ogres. They'd already been in the OP for months though (quite literally).

Karakuri Circus ep 13
A pretty damn good episode. With some good action and a very moving death scene.

Dororo ep 2
Pretty interesting tale. I wonder how much is folklore and how much is the Tezuka-san's imagination. Props to Dororo's VA as well, she's only 13 and only her second gig!

Hinamaru Sumo ep 13
An unusual training method.

Boggiepop and Others ep 3
I was pretty spot on with saying the events of 1 were during/after the events of 2. This episode completes the story of what happened elsewhere during 1, although Boggiepop wasn't telling the complete truth about not being the one to defeat the danger as she helped out.
MAL reckons this 18 eps long, bit of a weird total.

SAO: Alicization ep 14
A bit of a scrap which seemed to be a bit too quick, then a chat.

Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 37 - 51 (complete)
Really good series. 8/10. I know Brotherhood is supposed to be better, haven't seen it yet - gonna watch another series first so I don't burn out on all the fullmetalness (but first, I shall watch Conqueror of Shamballa :D)

Run with the Wind Episode 13

Wataten!: an Angel Flew Down to Me Episode 2

Dororo Episode 2

Ace Attorney 2nd Season (Dub) episode 35 The train-bound case unfolds.

Black Clover episode 66 Recap episode so skipped.

Run with the Wind episode 13 Though I wish that guys face had been caved in what transpired was probably for the best.

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club (Rewatch) episodes 1-12 (Complete. It was nice catching up on the first series again. There’s some strong story material here and there and it’s overall good fun.) 3.5/5

Back