Your viewing journal

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
Monster Musume-Episodes 11 and 12 (Complete)

Despite being a little dubious going in, I ended up liking Monster Musume quite a lot. I'm not normally one for ecchi type shows, at least not when they put the fan service above all else, but despite the large helping of titillation, it also works well as a comedy show, providing a heap of laughs throughout. I will say that a lot of the comedy does come from sex related humour, but there is also a lot of comedy from the general antics of a regular guy living with a bunch of monster girls. It also took me by surprise by actually touching on themes of segregation and discrimination, which was nice to see. I'd certainly give it my recommendation, if you don't mind some lewdness in your anime that is.

Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu-Episodes 9-11

Episode 9: I wasn't expecting an episode set before Yuno and Miyako joined Hidamari Apartments, so that was quite a surprise. I hope we see more of the old crew, I really like Misato.

Episode 10: Yuno dropping her keys in the toilet and then accidentally flushing is the most Yuno thing.

Episode 11: I genuinely think that might be my favourite episode of Hidamari Sketch. Yuno using a computer for the first time was both hilarious and adorable.

Last edited:

Smeelia

Thousand Master
I totally get how you feel, albeit towards opposite kinds of shows to the ones you like. You probably have more of an argument for wanting people to watch some of the shows you like to watch because I'm a fan of what's generally classified as 'Cute Girl' shows, and, objectively speaking, they likely don't hold quite as much merit as some shows that push the boundaries of animation, but I still feel like some people do write them off when some of those kinds of shows are my personal favourites, and I wish more people could enjoy them. Not to push what I like onto other people, I know someone like yourself probably wouldn't like them, but it does make me quite sad that people who do like those kind of shows are in short supply, even if I'll freely admit the appeal is rather niche.
If we're talking about shows that are particularly creative with art and animation, I'd certainly list Hidamari Sketch among those and it'd qualify as a "cute girl" show. I'd imagine that people with an interest in various forms of art would probably get something extra out of the show that most viewers wouldn't but it's also done in a way that doesn't exclude anyone and could even generate an interest in other forms of art. It may not consistently show off with flashy animation but there's some surprisingly good stuff in there, if you're watching for it. The show doesn't limit itself to just one style, though it's also not so varied as to be a constantly changing collision of styles, I think it keeps a fairly effective balance to make for an effective show that can be enjoyed in a few different ways.

Non Non Biyori has some excellent shot framing and backgrounds, with some quite powerful visual storytelling. It may mostly tell quite small and down to earth stories but I generally consider that kind of thing to be no less important than the major world changing stuff. We may have to deal with the big issues at times but we deal with little aspects of life every day.

It's possible to make inaccurate assumptions about any show by reducing it to some basic descriptor, though I do think that shows assigned the "cute girls doing cute things" label tend to suffer from this more than most. I suppose there's a certain stigma associated with admitting that you like cute, low conflict and/or small scale stories. Then there are the threats of other assumptions about the exact nature of the enjoyment one gets from such shows and what that might mean for a person's character, it's unfortunate that such pressures can still be such a major influence on people.

Possibly relating back to the "is all anime equal" thread, I try to give every show the same opportunity to show it's depth and value to me without regard for what it's assigned genre, category or other label may be. I think that a "cute girls doing cute things" show can be just as important and artistically worthwhile as any of the shows currently regarded as classics (Azumanga Daioh possibly already being one of those).

I can certainly understand the frustration of seeing people write off groups of shows based on assumptions and/or information from questionable sources. At the end of the day, there's no objective measure of quality for a show and the best way to find out if you'll enjoy something is to try it yourself. While trying everything isn't really possible, it doesn't hurt to at least get accurate information from trusted sources rather than relying on hearsay and speculation.

I have to admit, while I enjoy 'cute girl' shows, I've never understood a certain sector of anime fandom that seems to *only* watch cute girl shows and pretty much nothing else. While I can appreciate one of these shows being done well, there seems to be some mindset where something like Is The Order A Rabbit is treated like the greatest thing since sliced bread, as if it's like the epitome of fine art.

I suppose it's just interesting to me, because for me - the way I consume anime is wanting to consume *everything* - ie. the best of what the medium has to offer across all genres, so while I can understand people having different tastes, I've never reall understood the 'cute girls only' thing, as it seems like such an isolated thing, compared to how most people get into anime via Shonen, sci-fi etc...
I think, if you spend significant time on any hobby you tend to pick up on details and differences that aren't immediately apparent to those who don't share your hobby. I'd say something similar applies to watching particular types of shows, there are little details and differences (sometimes even major ones) that you can appreciate more by focussing on a particular group of shows. If someone tried to tell me that Kinmoza and Non Non Biyori are basically the same show, they could expect quite a rant/rambling trying to explain why they're completely wrong.

Personally, I'm also in favour of watching a variety of shows and genres (though I can't say I don't have preferences), but I can understand why people might enjoy taking a specific focus and going into deeper examination of a particular group.

britguy

Za Warudo
Finished Haikyu Season 1 a few days back. My first sports anime and I absolutely loved it. Matches had me on teh edge of my seat at times, and the show had great humor as well, and even poked fun of itself at times Like when the adult team played them, and then suggested that Highschoolers were really cool with the way they stopped in the match to give heart felt pleas to their team mates :D

Demelza

Adventuring Alchemist
AUKN Staff
Finished Haikyu Season 1 a few days back. My first sports anime and I absolutely loved it. Matches had me on teh edge of my seat at times, and the show had great humor as well, and even poked fun of itself at times Like when the adult team played them, and then suggested that Highschoolers were really cool with the way they stopped in the match to give heart felt pleas to their team mates :D

It's great to hear more people getting into Haikyu as their first sport anime, it's how I started too! The humour was really good but what got me was how close all the members were and the great feeling of sportsmanship going on. :)

I'd be interested in knowing what you think of Season 2, because any problems I do have got sorted for that season.

Joe

Magical Girl
Persona 3 the Movie #4: Winter of Rebirth.

Fantastic, and probably my favourite of the 4, though I'd need to marathon all of them to be absolutely sure. The ending didn't hit me emotionally quite as hard as it did in the original game, but is still a stellar adaptation. Really pretty as well, the colour palettes and lighting make for some really amazing looking shots.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
Persona 3 the Movie #4: Winter of Rebirth.

Fantastic, and probably my favourite of the 4, though I'd need to marathon all of them to be absolutely sure. The ending didn't hit me emotionally quite as hard as it did in the original game, but is still a stellar adaptation. Really pretty as well, the colour palettes and lighting make for some really amazing looking shots.

I've only seen the first movie, but I've beaten the game, and I'm wondering if they still use Memories of You as the credits song? Would be a crying shame if they didn't, it's probably the best song in the game.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu-Episode 12 (Complete)

Another wonderful addition into the Hidamari Sketch franchise. Given I only have 4 episodes left of HS before I run out, Sentai really need to hurry up and release Season 4 on Blu Ray!

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Devilman: Demon Bird Sirène (1990)

Not as memorably weird, nor quite as lovingly animated as the first instalment, but still a worthy continuation of the gory horror saga. It feels like a lot has been missed out from the manga that might give the story more context (it's nearly all action and not much else), but the film just about gets away with it - given the surreal imagery on show, its broken narrative logic makes it feel even more dreamlike.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
Gunbuster-Episodes 1-3

Episode 1: Really quite enjoyed this first episode. The robot training school was kind of a fun concept that I don't think I've seen before, and I'd have liked it if the show spent more time here, which I assume they're not considering how the episode ends. However, I understand they only have 6 episodes, so maybe it's for the best. Noriko seems like a very likable main character, and it's hard not to get a little bit of a Shinji vibe from her in one or two scenes, although weather they'll go as far as Evangelion did with him here is another matter. I like the art and animation a surprisingly amount considering I'm not too fussed on the look of shows before the late 90's. The music also stands out as being really quite good.

The only thing I will say, which has nothing to do with the show itself, is that the UK DVD release is pretty poor. It looks like it's been ripped straight off a VHS tape, hardcoded subtitles and all, and the subs themselves are slightly mistimed. Granted, the DVD is old as hell, but still. Weirdly enough though, I can't help but feel it kind of adds to the whole retro vibe the series has. Like, this is as close as I'll ever get to experiencing the VHS era of anime, so it's a little interesting to see how anime was back then. I'll likely buy the US set, which, according to Amazon, is remastered. That's assuming I enjoy the rest of the series, although I'm sure I will.

Episode 2: Not a whole lot really happening in this one. I do wonder how much Noriko's dad will play in the forthcoming events. There seems to be a pretty big focus on him, and this episode in particular highlighted this with her reaction to seeing the remains of his ship. Obviously this is good character development in general, so it's fine even if it doesn't have some part in the story, but it would be nice to have some pay off.

Episode 3: One part I loved about this episode was the sortie. The direction and editing were superb, with the bright red lighting of the mech, the fast editing rhythm, the clostphophic closeups and the almost John Carpenter-esque music, the scene created an excellent sense of panic and tension that put the audience right in Noriko's shoes.

Last edited:

Buzzkillington

Za Warudo
Episode 2: Not a whole lot really happening in this one. I do wonder how much Noriko's dad will play in the forthcoming events. There seems to be a pretty big focus on him, and this episode in particular highlighted this with her reaction to seeing the remains of his ship. Obviously this is good character development in general, so it's fine even if it doesn't have some part in the story, but it would be nice to have some pay off.
I have a question about this episode, did any of it get cut by the BBFC? Specifically the nudity in the bathing scene? I'm kinda curious if that made it through or not tbh. Not that I expect Lemon would be able to answer having nothing to compare it with and all.

But glad you're enjoying it, it's really a favourite of mine.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
I have a question about this episode, did any of it get cut by the BBFC? Specifically the nudity in the bathing scene? I'm kinda curious if that made it through or not tbh. Not that I expect Lemon would be able to answer having nothing to compare it with and all.

But glad you're enjoying it, it's really a favourite of mine.

Yes, they did censor it. At least, I assume they did. They kept cutting to this pan up of a space station or something in the bath scene. It was incredibly jarring, so assume it wasn't like that originally. However, a breif flash of Jung nipple did sneak by.