Your best & worst of 2016

crashmatt

Death Scythe
As this season draws to a close in a couple of weeks I'm curious to see what everybody's top 3 best and worst shows of 2016 are.

The only rules are that it has to have aired in 2016 but it can be a film or TV series.

to kick things off here are mine

Best
1) Re:Zero - I loved this show it was also the well suited to the simulcast experience
2) Your Name - what more is there to say about it?Its brilliant
3) Relife - One of the best high school rom coms I've seen

Worst
1) Occultic 9 - a proverbial dogs dinner
2) Taboo Tattoo - the worst thing JC Staff have done in recent memory
3) Luck & Logic - utterly forgettable

Best
1) Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: The December Sky - it's Gundam, with 2D mecha designs. What more do I need to say?
2) Mob Pyscho 100 - awesome art, I liked it just as much as One Punch Man (which I also really enjoyed) and really look forward to more.
3) Grimgar ofFantasy and Ash - I really like this show's different take on the 'friends get stuck in an MMORPG' trope. Really good character growth and interactions and stunning art style.

Honourable mentions:
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Joker Game
ERASED
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

Worst (no particular order, found them equally boring)
1) Bubuki Buranki
2) Big Order
3) HEYBOT!

Best
1) Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: The December Sky - it's Gundam, with 2D mecha designs. What more do I need to say?
2) Mob Pyscho 100 - awesome art, I liked it just as much as One Punch Man (which I also really enjoyed) and really look forward to more.
3) Grimgar ofFantasy and Ash - I really like this show's different take on the 'friends get stuck in an MMORPG' trope. Really good character growth and interactions and stunning art style.

Worst (no particular order, found them equally boring)
1) Bubuki Buranki
2) Big Order
3) HEYBOT!

I forgot about Big Order and Bubuki, they were both awful

Last edited:
I'll refrain from writing out a best list because, as usual, the AUKN Staff are putting out an annual article about what we all liked, however, I will happily do a bottom three.

Worst:

1. Yuri on Ice
- Yes, yes, I know the people of this forum have heard me talk about Yuri on Ice enough to last a lifetime, but if I am making a bottom list, this has to be on it, and it has to be on top. In terms of streaming anime, this has the accolade of being the one of only two shows I dropped this year, the other being...

2. Active Raid - I actually don't even know why I dropped this show or, well, anything about it at all. It aired in January and I don't remember a thing about it whatsoever. I assume I didn't like it if I dropped it after a paltry two episodes though.

3. Dagashi Kashi - Now, I actually liked Dagashi Kashi a fair bit, it's not a bad show. However, I only pick up a small amount of show each season, and this was a particularly good year, so whilst it is techinically the third worst show I watched this year, I actually still liked it.

Last edited:
I'm still riding high on Osomatsu-san though the first half was obviously last year. Let's pretend I especially loved the latter episodes.

To squeeze it to three titles I'd like to nominate Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, probably. I'll talk more about my choices in the staff article when I get around to remembering to contribute... *hides from Sarah*

My worst list would probably include HEYBOT! and Big Order too, what absolute clunkers. Hatsukoi Monster can go in that group too. There was quite a lot of terrible stuff, but they were the most painful viewing experiences I can recall.

R

I heavily enjoyed Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu also Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash was also another spectacular show. My third I guess would be D.Gray Man Hallow due to being a massive D.Gray Man fan I was super excited to see it get back into the pace of things.

The worse shows I watched:

Re:Zero - I honestly lost interest by episode 5, and without much attachment to the characters with use of overdone events I honestly would put it as the most overrated show of 2016
Big Order - I never thought an anime as bad as this could actually exist. I would rather watch Boku no Pico than watch this again.

For the last one it is just the unfortunate selection of my hatred of this type of show, and the only one I can remember the name of
Hundred - This had to be the most generic show of the season for me. I already felt I knew all the characters, and how they would act since they are pretty much the stereotypical characters that all shows like Hundred have.

My favourites for the year are JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Haikyuu. Honourable mentions for Gundam Thunderbolt and The Great Passage, too.

There were a few shows I didn't enjoy, but three that were particularly disappointing were Days, Hatsukoi Monster and Phoenix Wright.

Don't think I really picked anything worth listing as "Worst". As for a top 3, I'm going to cheat a bit and only list stuff I've actually got around to watching, as there are a few films I've not seen yet that'd probably knock Luluco off (looking at you "in this corner of the world") :

1. Kizumonogatari - Holy **** Kizumonogatari aired this year.

2. Flip Flappers - I don't even care how it ends at this point, it'd still be on the list.

3. Space Patrol Luluco - For justice.

Best - Koyomimonogatari ( Had to have a gatari and I havent seen Kizu 2 so isnt fair yet)
Danganronpa 3 - I cant believe how much i loved this weekly made paying for FUNi fine
Yuri on ice - Just so feel good and cheers me up each wednesday
Honorable mention
Sailor Moon Crystal Infinity - Whoa the improvement from s1 and 2 is night and day.

Worst-
Re:Zero - DOnt want a flame war so no more will be said
Cheer Boys - Very disappointed worst sports I've seen ever.
Phantasy Star Online 2 - Ugh boring felt like paint dry and also was such a advert that POS2 makes you get friends blah blah

Also Keijo as I couldnt stand more than 24 mins of it

Best -
Flying Witch - Max Comfy!
March Comes in like a Lion - Not even half way through but it's blooming fantastic so far.
Konosuba - My sense of humor, totally worked for me.

Honorable mentions:
- Amanchu
- Sweetness & Lightening
- Erased
- Jojo Part 4
- Yuri On Ice
- Food Wars Season 2
- Second half of Ass Class Season 2

Worst -
Kuma Miko - The ending absolutely killed anything positive. Even the Manga author cut all ties with the adaption, that's how unfitting it was. They choose the worst possible outcome to the story. I'm still mad.
Terra Formars: Revenge - Need I even explain .. :S
Orange - Animation problems hurt.

Dishonorable mentions:
This Art Club Has a Problem - It wasn't bad but I read it was as good as Nozaki-Kun, it was not & I was disappointed.
Nanbaka - Just didn't work for me.

My list was easy to do as mainly these have been the only ones I managed to keep up to date this year lol

My top 3 are:

Brave Witches - Love the characters, music and story, always brightens up my Wednesday evening
New Game - Makes me laugh everytime I watched it
Keijo - Love the characters and story, gives me something to look forward towards the end of the week

Honorable Mentions:

To Be Hero - makes me lol each episode
Kaiju Girls - nice short anime to watch
Izetta - still need to catch up about 5 episodes lol, but I liked what I watched so far

I wouldn't say it was bad but Bloodivores was disappointing as each episode just raises further questions, and there is only 2 episodes left to answer them.

I'm not very good and make lists such as best/worst but here goes.

My top 3 are:
Yuri!!! On Ice...this is literally my favourite of 2016
Joker Game...so happy now that has been licensed
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Honourable mentions:
Drifters...as much as i love it, it just got piped to my top 3 by Shouwa
D.Gray-man Hallow...i love DGM but was miffed that it was different Japanese VA's (i loved Toshiyuki Morikawa as Tyki Mikk from the original series)
Hiakyuu!!...how can you not like the continuation of the crows and their quest to nationals.

I'm not one to drop series as i don't tend to watch ones that i have no interest in from the beginning but the ones i have dropped and therefore make my top 2 of worst and they are:
Nanbaka...i only got up to ep 3 and gave up...its just aweful and the humour is flat
Terra Formars: Revenge...gave up after 5 minutes of the first episode. I loved the first series (and i love the manga) but this was utter tripe and just ruined Terra Formars

BEST
1) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Possibly the best anime I've ever seen. Yes, it's that good. The story, characters, voice acting, everything about this series is impeccable.
2) Tanaka-kun is Always Listless. Funniest show of the year for me, and was always the highlight of my week when it was airing.
3) Koyomimonogatari. Shaft's Unlimited 'Gatari Works continues ever onwards, and as long as it does there will always be one of these in any 'best of 20XX' list for me.

Honourable mentions go to Alderamin in the Sky (superb characters and well thought out scenarios) and Amanchu (the best chill out anime since Non Non Biyori, and completely adorable too).

WORST
1 ) Hybrid Heart HxH Magias Academy Ataraxia. The most generic thing imaginable, with no redeeming features that I could find. And to call it sexist would be an understatement.
2) Kuma Miko. I liked the first episode, then it went to hell. The poor MC was bullied and manipulated by those around her continuously, and that last episode was disgusting even by the low standards this show had already set.
3) The Lost Village. A big pile of nonsense, simple as that.

Dishonourable mentions go to Orange (characters were annoying and the story made no sense) and Bananya (I fully expected to love this, but I just didn't get it and didn't find it particularly cute or funny).

WORST
1 ) Hybrid Heart HxH Magias Academy Ataraxia. The most generic thing imaginable, with no redeeming features that I could find. And to call it sexist would be an understatement.

How much of it did you watch? Genuine question as I found the first episode hilarious and was considering going back when a future BD release arrived >_>

Shocked at the Orange reactions!

R

I liked Orange but the animation problems made the show difficult to swallow, pulled me out of my immersion :(

Izetta! I forgot! (says a lot really, seeing as I'm watching while airing ...) that's in my worst shows of the year list. Strong start & then a gradual collapse into hell. Wasted potential.
I'm struggling to force myself to watch each new episode but if I can finish Comet Lucifer, I can crawl through the final few episodes of Izetta ... :S

How much of it did you watch? Genuine question as I found the first episode hilarious and was considering going back when a future BD release arrived >_>
I watched the whole thing, I very rarely drop a series once I've started. My opinion on it is very much reflective of my personal tastes, and is not in any way an objective critical analysis of the series. In most regards it is a competently made anime, I just don't happen to like it. If the first episode tickles your sense of humour then you will probably like all of it, I know it does have it's fans.

My top 3 of 2016 in no particular order:
1) Flip Flappers: Really loving each and every episode. While not finished airing, I believe it will conclude with a satisfactory end after seeing the latest episode.
2) Silent Voice: Between your name. and koe no katachi, I liked the latter more. While thinking about your name. afterwards, the more it started to fall apart, while Silent Voice became more and more interesting the more I thought about it.
3) Flying Witch: What more to say? A comfy show. I really need a calming SoL anime every season.

Euphonium S2 almost made the list, but I think, while it is great, it is a slight step down from the first season. Other shows I quite enjoyed this past year: Mob Psycho 100, Amanchu!, Bungou Stray Dogs and Concrete Revolutio S2.

On to the worst of the year (read: my least favourite show I still watched for some reason):
1) Taboo-Tattoo: For some reason it appeared half-decent after the first episode, but it went spiralling down very fast.
2) Lost Village: I still don't really get what the message was they were trying to get across. Each episode was full of illogic decisions by the characters. Sure, people are not always as logical, but it takes effort to be this illogical as a group.
3) Trickster: Not sure why I'm still watching this show. The characters are not really interesting, annoying even, and the show already had it's 'jumping the shark'-moment (Using a jet ski as escape vehicle in the sewers). Some episodes felt very 'artsy' with cryptic flash-backs and strange transitions. It was clearly an attempt to link the backstories portrayed in those episodes with the overall story, but IMHO this did not work.

Hmmm... it appears this post turned a bit negative. To end on a positive note: Natsume Yuujinchou Go is also near the top of my favourite shows this year.

I liked Orange but the animation problems made the show difficult to swallow, pulled me out of my immersion :(

Izetta! I forgot! (says a lot really, seeing as I'm watching while airing ...) that's in my worst shows of the year list. Strong start & then a gradual collapse into hell. Wasted potential.
I'm struggling to force myself to watch each new episode but if I can finish Comet Lucifer, I can crawl through the final few episodes of Izetta ... :S

I don't think Izetta is that bad its just not as good as it could have been. Lost Village was really bad, forgot about that one I must have blocked it out.

Back