Yakuza - PS2

McIcy

Mushi-shi
Played the Demo last night and now I want this game. Never even looked at it or thought about it when I read the reviews but after playing the demo I see its a game I'm going to have to invest in next week.

The fighting if well done, easy to control and although I have only played the basic fights (original moves with no upgrades) i can see the scope of growth there will be, especially when you hopefully get guns later in the game. The dating side of the game is a nice distraction and side story which I think will help the game along nicely and the mini-games like batting cages and lockers (think GTA style hidden packages) hidden throughout the city definately give you something new to explore and try out if the main story is getting you down or you just fancy a change of pace.

Been waiting for this game for ages, and was surprised it even got european release. Good to here the game plays well as I havent had the chance to play it yet. If you go on the official website you can watch a mini-series prequel directed by Takashi Miike:

http://yakuza.sega-europe.com/en/main.html

Hopefully if this game sells well then Sega might think about releasing Shemue 3 here.

Only one downside to this game, the demo is brilliant as it has japanese voices with english subtitles, however the UK release will have an english dub which in my mind kinda ruins the feel of it a bit

i own the japanese version of this game (Ryu Ga Gotoku, or something like that)
and i must say a very good game indeed.
i hope the UK version lets you choose which voice over (i.e. Jap with sub, or English dub.)
either way, its a very good game.
the way you encounter some thugs on the streets reminds me of pokemon, lol those random battles.

In this day and age of the DVD format there is no excuse whatsoever that both Japanese and English languages can be included in this (or any other) release.

It could determine as to whether I buy this title, as from what I've read here it has got me very excited about it's potential.

i've not really read up on this much yet, but it does look good, i need to maybe get a hold of the demo and see what it will be like

I bought this today brand new in the "sale" for £9.98 (£10 in normal terms). I haven't played it yet (as soon as I complete Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence this will be the next game I play) but I have a very good feeling about this one.

Downside? I feel when I get the Wild Arms 4 debacle sorted I will struggle to get back into it, which will be a damn shame. Oh well.

By the way McIcy, did you ever get around to playing the full game of this and if so what's your verdict? I've heard to a point it has a subtle Shenmue flavour to it.

:)

Hovis! said:
I bought this today brand new in the "sale" for £9.98 (£10 in normal terms). I haven't played it yet (as soon as I complete Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence this will be the next game I play) but I have a very good feeling about this one.

Downside? I feel when I get the Wild Arms 4 debacle sorted I will struggle to get back into it, which will be a damn shame. Oh well.

By the way McIcy, did you ever get around to playing the full game of this and if so what's your verdict? I've heard to a point it has a subtle Shenmue flavour to it.

:)

Dammit Hovis where did you find it for a tenner? Nevermind just found your post in the Video Game Bargains Thread and have now ordered myself a copy CHEERS :D

REVIEW - CONTINUED

Ok so I now own the game (cheers Hovis for seeing it in the sale) spent about an hour on it yesterday and after I get some sleep this morning I will be playing it today too. Just thought I'd add my likes/dislikes

- The story is brilliant - draws you in from the start and just gets better as it goes.
- The voices really fit the main characters (although there is no japanese dub which is a little disappointing)
- Fighting - you start off with basic combo's and then using the level up option on the menu screen you add new moves and special attacks
- Difficulty level - If you die too many times you get asked if you wish to lower your level which is good for beginners, also if you die in a fight, rather than go back to a previous save point you are given the option to restart the fight, thus saving having to replay ages of unsaved gameplay. (handy for me as i forgot to save and then got into a weapon fight and died 4 times before getting the hang of it).

Dislike[/u]
- Loading screens - way too many even slotted between cut scenes, so instead of having one vid, they have 3 glues together at times which is really annoying
- Beat-em-up Style fight announcements - Rather than fights just starting the screen cuts to a 'Versus' wallpaper telling you who you are fighting..... like I care if its Yakuza or Hooligans (I would accept this screen if it was for boss fights only)
- Not a major problem but why couldn't they have kept the original audio files on there so it could be in japanese too.

I really like it, I'm only just beginning, I have just gotten out of jail so the game is just opening up for me. Bring it on Yakuza

I have no idea when I'll get around to playing this, but when I do I suspect the expereince shall be great. Thanks for the information on the game by the way McIcy.

Co-incidently, Takahashi Miike, that did the prequel movies (watch now if you are playing/have played Yakuza), is also now working on a feature film of the game - the trailer of which can now be found online.

It doesn't reveal much but it looks to be very close to the game, which can only be a good thing.

Hovis! said:
I have no idea when I'll get around to playing this, but when I do I suspect the expereince shall be great. Thanks for the information on the game by the way McIcy.

1 piece of advice check out the menu as soon as you start the game (after the prison sentance) I didn't bother and when I did found the power-up menu I didn't know existed and leveled up hugely, I wandered why the moves stayed the same.

Dani said:
Co-incidently, Takahashi Miike, that did the prequel movies (watch now if you are playing/have played Yakuza), is also now working on a feature film of the game - the trailer of which can now be found online.

It doesn't reveal much but it looks to be very close to the game, which can only be a good thing.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet I would love to see this game as a movie the story is brilliant and the characters rock

Dani said:

Cheers for that information. I will take your advice. :)

I suppose this is worth picking up if you're one of those people who only buy video games based on how closely related to anime or Japanese culture etc. Personally I think there are dozens of other PS2 titles which take priority over Yakuza at the moment for me. The game has received above average reviews, but not high enough to get much recognition or praise. I'll probably pick this up for quick entertainment value once it gets a lot cheaper after six months or something.

Actually, I disagree with the above comment in terms of Yakuza. I think its one of the bigger games on the PS2 format to come out in the last 12 months or so.

You must have immense standards Nemphtis if Yakuza is low down the pecking-order. :)

i've not seen one single review for Yakuza, but i still wouldn't mind picking it up. i don't really judge anything by a review, since its almost never the same as my views. i'll pick it up as i am interested in it(mind you that will have to wait a month since it is an 18..and i am a month and a day from being that..) and judge it myself then.

I am hooked to it, the story is soo cool, twisting and turning never knowing who's your allies or who are out to kill you. I love the fact that you can walk the streets of tokyo and have Yakuza or Street Punks pick fights with you. Also if youbump into people some will accuse you of molesting or personal injury and try to extort money from you.

At the moment I am wandering the city looking for random sub missions, like protecting clubs, catching thieves and beating up Yakuza who are extorting money.

Where do you use the Locker Keys? I have loads but don't know where to use them

Hovis! said:
Actually, I disagree with the above comment in terms of Yakuza. I think its one of the bigger games on the PS2 format to come out in the last 12 months or so.

You must have immense standards Nemphtis if Yakuza is low down the pecking-order. :)

I do have high standards, funny enough. Plus when I compare Yakuza to the other big games of the last twelve months I confirm to myself why I bought those other big games and not Yakuza. Maybe people at AUKN are overrating it simply because it's got that whole Yakuza thing to it, or maybe it really is an amazing game and I simply can't appreciate it. I do however know one thing and that's the fact that I'd rather spend my money on something like say for example... Shadow of the Colossus than Yakuza. =)

Nemphtis said:
Maybe people at AUKN are overrating it simply because it's got that whole Yakuza thing to it, or maybe it really is an amazing game and I simply can't appreciate it.

It really is and amazing game and you simply can't appreciate it.

Back