Xbox gets Tomb Raider and Sony adds a surprise @ Gamescom

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
So some of you (or all) probably noticed the Gamescom event that occurred earlier today and in fact there were a few ups and downs (like NO VITA WTF [especially when a Vita exclusive is now on PS4]). But I wanted to focus on two particular titles.

First of, Rise of the Tomb Raider is an Xbox One exclusive. This has been causing a rather huge backlash since the franchise started off with the PC & Playstation owners and it makes no sense considering the sales were mixed overall across multiplatform. The release on Xbox One might be a deathbed for the reboot franchise.

While Playstation fans are suffering from this, Sony announced a quick video called P.T. during their conference which had people screaming in a live-recorded reaction and told gamers that it's available now. Little did we all know that it was in fact a collaboration between Hideo Kojima (known for creating numerous ways to trick enemies with a box in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain) and Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim) in addition to actor Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead) for a brand new Silent Hill game.

What are your thoughts on Gamescom 2014? I'm pissed off about the lack of Vita these days (let's hope TGS makes up for it).

Re: Xbox gets Tomb Raider and Sony adds a surprise @ Gamesco

I've not been this excited for a Silent Hill game in a long time. Of course, I'd need to get a new console to play it and I don't think I can justify that expenditure for one game.

Good news is, Rise of the Tomb Raider is only a timed exclusive, bad news is that they approached announcing this the whole wrong way. it took them a day to actually mention it, instead their official statements made it look as if it was never getting releases on other consoles. For a game whos prequel only just hit sales estimates to go exclusive feels like a bad move. Admittedly it has another year before release(i think?) so things may improve for microsoft, but i'm not holding out hope. I don't see them hitting successful profits on one console, not after last time.

Sonys conference was good, but i wouldn't have minded a bit more gameplay from some titles. Bloodborne looks nice, The Order 1886 looks better than its initial gameplay. Wild has my interest, but i want a bit more shown. Silent Hill by Kojima? Awww yeah, may finally buy another kojima game(never played MGS). Silent Hill may finally bring back survival horror, and it's long overdue. However, for all it did good, it completely forgot about the Vita. Bringing Tearaway to PS4 might seem like a good idea, but it removes an exclusive title to vita which made it appealing. Vita needs proper coverage, not just from TGS and japan, but from the west, yet sony is completely ignoring it's potential. This has to be their next port and call, otherwise the handheld will just stagnate and become forgotten(if it hasn't already)

Silents Hills is comings.

Tomb Raider is just not relevant enough (especially since it's not even out for ages) to have sparked the reaction it did. Frankly I would have been pleased, the lack of third party exclusives as we moved past the PS2 and into the previous console generation was a massive downgrade from the kind of games that were being made 10+ years ago.

Back