X Men; First class

Tachi

Mushi-shi
X MEN FIRST CLASS

Recently watched this and enjoyed it, the characters where well cast IMO and the storyline was great, like origins went back and showed the beginning of wolverines story and how he fits in with the X men.

This one's more how the x men came about, reminded me of the 1990's cartoon version (with the original costume designs) i don't want to spoil it for anyone but the story was really good to watch, i thoroughly enjoyed it.

However..... how the bloody hell did this happen?

x-men_first_class_beast_poster.jpg

Lets look at a few blatantly obvious facts.... in the original cartoon he looked like this:
beast.gif

in the (2000) X men Beast looks like this:
beast1.jpg

In the last stand (2006) Beast looks like this:
beast-x-men.jpeg

Both the 2000 and 2006 versions are more suited to the original comic version of beast... so now we compare beast in a suit.

beast-x-men.jpeg

BeastXMenFirstClassFarmersInsurance-thumb-550x336-63096.png

1. at no point did beast have fuzzy hair
2. at no point was his hair round, the top of his hair should be flat with two points like wolverines hair.
3. wtf is up with his top lip? they tried to make him look like a friggin cat?!
3. the beast is supposed to be muscley and like this:
beast.jpg

with the confidence and posh sophistication
tumblr_lh4uqquCzr1qg3jyco1_400.jpg

what we actually god was a fuzzy haired cat looking skinny runt with confidence problems.

Anyone else notice things that where done well, or not done well?

The angst is always a part of Beast, but I thought it worked in First Class. Everyone in that film had an arc or reason for being there and all that stuff just helped define who he was.

Also... is this so far off?

Beast.jpg

Aye, there's different artists interpretations of the characters and all sorts of redesigns going on over the years. For example, DC's re-launch of Bat Girl has Commisioner Gordon's daughter as Batgirl, despite her being crippled by the Joker and later becomes Oracle and not Batgirl.

Also, didn't know Beast was in the 2000 movie!

for the dates i was running off IMD so no idea if its correct or not (too lazy to look for the dvd release as a more exact version)

But also that more feline version of Beast is a second mutation that happened 10 years later on in the xmen comics, beast is having a fight with someone (can't remember who) but another xmen tries to heal beast and as a result it leads him to have a mutation beyond the original one, making him more feline.

So for them to give him a feline featured top lip as they did as soon as he because the blue beast form was annoying for me. as it didn't even keep the continuity of the comics OR make some continuity for the other xmen films :(

Nice to see Nightstalkers dad in it though. i want to see another one inbetween the first xmen film and the first class film.

I really enjoyed it, almost slapped myself after the film though for not realising that it was James Mcavoy playing the lead role. I thought Magneto's younger self was played really well. Kevin Bacon wasn't bad either.

Wolverine's was hilarious! A nice bonus for the film

As for the downsides, apparently there are SO many errors with this film concerning the timeline. Hmm, that one X-men/woman "Angel" was pretty pathetic and I didn't understand a word "Banshee" said

Oh yeah, sucks how the black guy died first, he was one of the cooler X-men

Last edited by a moderator:
RivaOni said:
Aye, there's different artists interpretations of the characters and all sorts of redesigns going on over the years. For example, DC's re-launch of Bat Girl has Commisioner Gordon's daughter as Batgirl, despite her being crippled by the Joker and later becomes Oracle and not Batgirl.
If there's one thing I really hate about Western comics, it's the constant rewriting of the back-story and creation of alternate universes (that and the crossovers. Oh God, the crossovers). That attitude of "Okay, this would be cool. Let's just retcon so we can do it". In any other media, any credibility or emotional investiture your audience had in the story would be gone (I do find myself wondering if superhero comics ever had either of those things to begin with).

One of the reasons I really like The Dark Knight Returns and the Batman Beyond animated series is that they both posit the question "what happens when Batman gets old (and the world changes)?" instead of having him play out the same old battles with the same enemies wearing different outfits every decade, which is a lot of what superhero comics (and now, it seems, movies) amount to.

Definetly agree with you there, I don't get too involved in the Super Hero stuff, and whilst I do like Batman I try and stick to the one-off's as best as I can really.

The other "super hero" I read is Hellboy (although only have two books of those so far), otherwise its just sticking to one offs or series by the likes of Moore (I say "by the likes of", I usually get them bought as gifts and so far have only ever been bought works by Moore).

vashdaman said:
Ha, I kind of like the new style Beast he looks so cute and huggable.

Mainly the reason i don't like what they've done to him lol

After talking about the film in the pub lastnight, my mate seems to think they've tried to reboot xmen like they did to spiderman (imo they should have just redone the 3rd spiderman film, but no.... have to start from the beginning, gutted)

Personally i doubt they'll reboot it, the films are alright, but continuity is meant to be the one basic thing you should stick with when making a prequel. otherwise it stands out like a sore thumb, OR ruins the sequels.

Beast wasn't in X-men 1...that shot you used is from X3...so I literally have NO idea where you got the impression he was in 1...Hank (human form) had a cameo in X2 and there was concept art for Beast in x1 but never used so... yeah.

Also, easy explaination: he evolved more/ uses hair products, got less fuzzy with age, take your pick.

Tachi said:
Possibly a relative of The Grinch?

grinch-dreams.jpg

OT: I haven't seen First Class yet, but I think I might have to, quite like X Men, and I can't exactly remember the first movie that well either, been more into the cartoons so I'll take a shot

Beast has become more feline than ape-like, I think the general aesthetic for the feline form is better. I had my doubts about this film after how ******* awful Wolverine: Origins was, the film had some issues but was overall a solid movie. Just once before I die would I like to hear an X-Men movie close with this

Also enjoyed the lack of some severely over used faces (Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops)

Lupus said:
Beast has become more feline than ape-like, I think the general aesthetic for the feline form is better. I had my doubts about this film after how **** awful Wolverine: Origins was, the film had some issues but was overall a solid movie. Just once before I die would I like to hear an X-Men movie close with this

Also enjoyed the lack of some severely over used faces (Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops)

Cyclops overused? He was in X1 with the least screen time of all the heroes, X2 he got kidnapped like 20 minutes in and was gone for most of the movie and got flat out killed off early into X3. How is that overused? (I'm a Cyclops fan, could you tell? =P)

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Beast wasn't in X-men 1...that shot you used is from X3...so I literally have NO idea where you got the impression he was in 1...Hank (human form) had a cameo in X2 and there was concept art for Beast in x1 but never used so... yeah.

Also, easy explaination: he evolved more/ uses hair products, got less fuzzy with age, take your pick.

Haven't seen the 1st on in donkeys years :p easy mistake to make, recently bought the quadtrilogy so i shall investigate :)

Jaymii said:
Also, everyone and thing was a bit more "free" in the 60s. :p

Swinging 60's...

tumblr_lb83rsQBkG1qeue3vo1_250.gif

YEAAAAH BABY YEAAAAH!!!!!

Will do, I always enjoy revisiting old films and getting all nostalgic over them, try not to glorify them too much until i've re watched them, but from what i remember all the film where well worth my money at the cinema.

Tachi said:
Will do, I always enjoy revisiting old films and getting all nostalgic over them, try not to glorify them too much until i've re watched them, but from what i remember all the film where well worth my money at the cinema.

Agreed. It's fun revisiting oldies because you often rediscover why you fell in love in the first place. Like Men in Black. Hadn't seen the film in years then caught it on tv and was like "This actually still holdsup really well." I'd remembered it as being more a kids movie but it's just so well put together. THough the second... not so much.

Yeah the first one i'll agree it holds itself up well, the second one was.... not so great to revisit.

Transformers is one of the few that i liked watching over and over again, the second ones alright but i've seen the same clip on tv either round my house or round the gf's house over and over again for the past few months, sorta turned me off the thought of revisiting it. the 3rd installments out on the 29th btw.

Back