Worst reasons why people don't like movies....

Sy

Time-Traveller
Just felt like making this topic since this forum is plodding along slowly and recently I've become more annoyed with comments from people about why they didn't like a film. Valid points about the performances, soundtrack and whatever but some are just completely unreasonable.

1. "The trailer sucked so the movie is bad" - I can see why seeing a bad trailer might put you off seeing a movie but trailers are generally misleading and to base the entire movie on a trailer is pretty dumb.

2. "I don't know any of the actors in the movie" - So what? It needs to have Brad Pitt or Bruce Willis in it to make the movie good? Sharlto Copley's performance blew me away in District 9 and that was apparently one of his first major acting roles. No idea who he was but still enjoyed the film.

3. "The movie is too old" - This is the worst one. I know people that will not watch the likes of classics like Psycho, The Bridge on the River Kwai and even Blade Runner simply because of when they were made. Sucks for them because they're missing out on some fantastic cinema. Does a movie really need to be in HD for you to enjoy it?

Any you disagree with? Want to add some? Go ahead.

Sy said:
2. "I don't know any of the actors in the movie" - So what? It needs to have Brad Pitt or Bruce Willis in it to make the movie good? Sharlto Copley's performance blew me away in District 9 and that was apparently one of his first major acting roles. No idea who he was but still enjoyed the film.
My brother-in-law used to be like that until I've show him Schwarzenegger's "Twins" and "Junior". He changed his mind completely after that =)

Sy said:
3. "The movie is too old" - This is the worst one. I know people that will not watch the likes of classics like Psycho, The Bridge on the River Kwai and even Blade Runner simply because of when they were made. Sucks for them because they're missing out on some fantastic cinema. Does a movie really need to be in HD for you to enjoy it?
I can actually understand this one in one particular situation - Action movies. Considering action movies are not necessarily plot, character development or artistically driven, they tend to age really badly.
For anything else would be a silly excuse.

Sy said:
Any you disagree with? Want to add some? Go ahead.
I'd add "Cartoons are for kids". Don't think I need to explain this :)

How could I forget that.

4. "It's animated" - This is very British for some reason. In the rest of Europe and obviously Japan they are more exposed to animation in general and seem more excepting of animated films for an older audience. Here mature animation, like say Perfect Blue, is either practically ignored or passed off as perverted before even watching it.

Sy said:
Yeah! Give Joey Tribiani a chance, baby! ;)
Seriously though, I'd agree with this. I dont care about actors if they're super huge or new-bloods. If the film's your taste, you may as well give it a go.

I'm not a 'mad' movie fan because I'm generally very picky about what I watch.

6. "The film has a stupid title"

Main examples: Hellboy, Inglorious Basterds

I've actually had a few friends say the film was pulled down just because of it's cheesy/generic/boring title >_<

(personally, I though Inglorious Basterds is a great name :D)

My sister uses the old excuse all the time. :roll:

I suppose "The fanbase are annoying".

Fanbase =/= the quality of a film.

Same goes for anime, music, TV shows, etc. Hate on the fans, not what they're fanning over.

Also, I prefer it if a film has actors I don't know well. It helps me focus more on the characters rather than just thinking "Tom Cruise is dressed as a chef, lol" throughout it.

Reviews sway what I like to watch (and what I actually sit through) immensely, so generally I don't care for any of the above as long as Roger Ebert found something enjoyable in it (It has to be said, though - he loves everything). I've never had the trailer problem and for the subtitled problem and "It's Animated!" one's, I mostly watch alone. Also, Hellboy and Inglorious Basterds are awesome titles. Both fitting and attention-grabbing.

So, unfortunately, I don't think I know any others.... Oh! I got one!

7. "I don't watch this genre"

A lot of the time, the reasons people don't like them are completely outside of how good the film actually is. I mean, you could say for example that you don't like Rambo, but there is no way you can compare that to the likes of rocky, as they are quite different, all that really keeps the same is the main actor.

I don't see a problem with older films, heck i find them great sometimes. I mean i would much rather watch old films in place of their remakes more often than not. And if you look to horror film, well, you watch them for the fact that hey are absolute cheese, but still try to respect what they where trying to do at the time.

Animated, well, i'll leave that out simply because its a topic of which can be discussed outwith films themselves anyway, but yeah its still a stupid reason, specially when said they are for kids. Waltz of Bashir anyone?

Subtitles is an evil one, i find to get the best quality of a live action film, you watch it in its original language. If nothing else, the lip synching is terrible usually. Animation wise the dubbing can be fine, but for live action, you will need to be VERY good to get it right.

Erm..can't really add any that aren't added already, since most of them already added are the main ones.

Kezwick_Osaka said:

Isn't your sister the one who wouldn't show the paypal thing for you?
If yes, then your sister is the annoying one ;)

Lupus said:
9. "It's not an Adam Sandler movie."

You may think I'm joking, but I know people who have seriously said this.
I believe you're not joking, but I bet whoever said that were joking. If they were only talking about Johnny Deep though... =)

10. "Wait, so, this isn't by Tim Burton? And Jonny Depp isn't in it?"
11. "Wait, it's in Black and White?"

It's really depressing how many people respond with 'Edward Scissorhands' ahwne I ask what their favourite film is.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
6. "The film has a stupid title"

Main examples: Hellboy, Inglorious Basterds

I've actually had a few friends say the film was pulled down just because of it's cheesy/generic/boring title >_<

(personally, I though Inglorious Basterds is a great name :D)
Man I wish I'd felt this way and hadn't gone to see Hellboy (2).

kupocake said:
5. "It's subtitled" - Me fail English? That's unpossible!

This was going to be my one, i hate this reason. I work in blockbusters so ive heard most of these reasons people don't like the films. But the its subtitled one is the worst.

Me: Do you know this film is subtitled?
cutstomer: Does that mean its not in english then?
Me: Yes
customer: Does in come in an english version?
Me: No -sigh-
customer: I don't want it then, ill get something else
Me: Ok -grr sigh-

The guy that got me into home cinema whose kit costs well over £10k and who must have spent several times that on laser disks, DVDs and Blu-Ray, actually used the "I don't read movies" line when we were talking about favourite movies and I bought up Seven Samurai.

chaos said:
Kezwick_Osaka said:

Isn't your sister the one who wouldn't show the paypal thing for you?
If yes, then your sister is the annoying one ;)
Yes she was. D:
Though when I was talking about my sister's excuse, I was referring to "The film is too old!"

The only exception is when it was one of her favourite films from her childhood.

Dracos said:
The guy that got me into home cinema whose kit costs well over £10k and who must have spent several times that on laser disks, DVDs and Blu-Ray, actually used the "I don't read movies" line when we were talking about favourite movies and I bought up Seven Samurai.
His loss.

Back