Worried about smoke from neighbors entering the apartment?

N64 Gamer

Completely Average High School Student
This might come off as really paranoid but bear with me. I have never lived in an apartment before and I will soon have to move to a larger city where an apartment is the only really feasible option for me.

I take very good care of my anime/manga/gaming collection and like to go to great lengths to keep everything in as pristine condition as I can. I have heard stories from friends about smoke from neighbors entering their apartments and I'm a little worried how that would affect my collection. I know that exposure to smoke over time can ruin most things but I'm not sure how damaging smoke from neighbors can be (if I end up in that unfortunate situation).

Do you have any experience with this? Am I just being paranoid over nothing? Any solutions to this?

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
I now live in a house rather than an apartment and the same thing can still happen if you leave doors/windows open. One of my friend lives on the fourth floor of a much larger detached building and he gets it too. It's just a fact of life in a big city where everyone is close together. So long as you don't invite smokers in and don't leave your windows open for ages when someone's smoking right outside your stuff shouldn't be affected - pay attention to the positions of the windows and make sure that your collection won't be right above somewhere where people congregate outside (covered areas where people loiter near doorways are the worst for this). That won't just be smoky, it will be noisy as well, so you'll do well to look out for places with well-positioned windows. Anyone who has suffered through the steadily mounting anger of having a bunch of strangers partying outside their flat window when they have an early start the next day knows this feeling.

Modern window frames have air holes called trickle vents to improve circulation even when they are closed (which is good) but if you are negatively affected by smoke, check the window frames and any wall-mounted vents in your apartment too to make sure you can choose to close the ones closest to your collection. If you can stop any smoke getting in then you're in control.

R

N64 Gamer

Completely Average High School Student
I now live in a house rather than an apartment and the same thing can still happen if you leave doors/windows open. One of my friend lives on the fourth floor of a much larger detached building and he gets it too. It's just a fact of life in a big city where everyone is close together. So long as you don't invite smokers in and don't leave your windows open for ages when someone's smoking right outside your stuff shouldn't be affected - pay attention to the positions of the windows and make sure that your collection won't be right above somewhere where people congregate outside (covered areas where people loiter near doorways are the worst for this). That won't just be smoky, it will be noisy as well, so you'll do well to look out for places with well-positioned windows. Anyone who has suffered through the steadily mounting anger of having a bunch of strangers partying outside their flat window when they have an early start the next day knows this feeling.

Modern window frames have air holes called trickle vents to improve circulation even when they are closed (which is good) but if you are negatively affected by smoke, check the window frames and any wall-mounted vents in your apartment too to make sure you can choose to close the ones closest to your collection. If you can stop any smoke getting in then you're in control.

R
Thanks for the post, really appreciate it!

You're right about all the points. I keep my place clean and with zero smoking so hopefully there's no risk of my stuff being damaged. Speaking of windows, I also think it's important to position stuff in a way so that sunlight can't reach a collection and potentially damage it, so I try to store them in rooms where the sun don't shine in, which can sometimes also be a headache. 😵

SkwigglesWorth

Brigade Leader
For sunlight damage I find some of my US stuff more susceptible to fading than the UK stuff so I assume they use or used differnt inks (as anything that I have that has faded is a good few years old).
But luckily I didn't have too much US stuff in partial/ direct sunlight (I think its only my Blu ray boxest of Chuck, I actually have then turn round in the boxset so now the spine isn't showing and also out of the sunlight, and maybe a smidge of fading on animated Justice league and some DC animated films).

Last edited:

zrdb

School Idol
I keep my stuff mostly out of direct sunlight and dust is gonna happen no matter what you do so I just dust it with a feather duster and let it go at that. I've never had any problems with fading.