Winter Season 2021 - A First Look

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
The writers at Anime UK News have been taking a look at the new titles streaming in Winter 2021! Here are some of the anime series that have caught their attention...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Surprised no one mentioned Redo of Healer Wonder Egg Priority for new shows. I'm sure if @Peachy had a say it would be there 😜 Harrowing subjects approached in a unique way with some fantastic art and animation.

As for sequels, I may not have seen The Promised Neverland in quite the same way as the people praising it as a masterpiece, but probably the one I'm most intrigued about where the story goes now they're out in the world.
That and Yuru Camp of course that only got a passing mention, pfft 😤

Wonder Egg Priority started later than most of the other shows - but I'm sure one of the writers will be discussing it in all its wondrous strangeness when we return in March to assess how our series have been going... (I've just caught up with the second episode myself tonight and am intrigued enough to want to see how the story develops. But it's too early with this one, for me to get my thoughts in order!)

Surprised no one mentioned Redo of Healer Wonder Egg Priority for new shows. I'm sure if @Peachy had a say it would be there 😜 Harrowing subjects approached in a unique way with some fantastic art and animation.

As for sequels, I may not have seen The Promised Neverland in quite the same way as the people praising it as a masterpiece, but probably the one I'm most intrigued about where the story goes now they're out in the world.
That and Yuru Camp of course that only got a passing mention, pfft 😤

No doubt it'll be mentioned in the overview for the season. Depending on how the show tackles the subjects they've raised we could have a gem on our hands.
Crazy how the show came from nowhere, I hadn't even considered watching till the reviews for Episode 1 came about & now it's my top of the season.

Crazy how the show came from nowhere
Being an anime original there was obviously little hype and the name and premise are a bit weird, but I do like weird. Luckily it turned out not so weird that it forgets to tell you the story like some anime I've seen, it's nice and clear as to the end goal without revealing it's full hand leaving room for some intrigue.

Missed my opportunity to add to the article this time round! But I will say now i've had a chance to watch more this past few days, Horimiya and Back Arrow are definitely ones i would recommend watching out for. But overall it has been one of the best seasons we've had in a while, it's pretty full with a lot of solid titles.

Horimiya has done a wonderful job of capturing the relationship between Hori and Miyamura so far, and while there has been some speeding through of the volumes, i don't think for what they are trying to cover, there has been much, if anything missed that's worth noting. There relationship is definitely what the show is worth watching for, but i would like to see the later episodes go into the side characters a bit more. It has quite the interesting relationship chart to check out! Haha.
Back Arrow surprised me too, I feel it'll go under a few radars as it looks kinda so-so, but really i get a few vibes of your old school monster-of-the-week mecha, mixed in with some ideas from gun x sword(the opening specifically reminds me very much of it) and a little star driver? It's fun, the combat is nicely animated with the cg mechs not missing out on too much detail either. I'd recommend giving it a bash(if you can bypass the air-headed lead who is nude for literally all of episode 1) as i think it'll be a nice little sleeper hit. It amusingly decides on having a very america meets europe approach to the western faction(castle, princess that's a figure head and nothing more while the prime minister does the opposite of what she wants) and a very Chinese stylised eastern faction.

I've still a lot to see from what the writers covered though that boonies show is certainly one, and i've a lot of returning to catch up with too.

Back