Wild Arms franchise

Hovis!

Vampire Ninja
Has anyone played any of the Wild Arms games and if so what do they think of them?

The only one I've played is Wild Arms 3 on the PS2 and though it was fairly unambitious I still quite enjoyed it (though this was in the "earlier days" when I first started playing Japanese RPG's proper, so to speak).

I've ordered number 4 recently. Apparently it abandons its wild west quirks for more traditional form of Japanese RPG setting. Still, I've read some fairly decent reviews and am looking forward to it.

What about other peeps opinions (negative or positive)? :)

Hovis! said:
McIcy said:
Only ever seen the anime but have been tempted to get one of the games, let us know what Wild Arms 4 is like

I will. :D

I heard there was an animè series of Wild Arms. Is / was it anygood?

Watching it at the moment up to ep 12, I like it, although its very strange, a gun man wakes up in the body of a young boy and sets out with a Dr (huge guy who is apparently a scientist) to find his real body. Along the way they constantly bump into two female theives who are chasing rumours of strange treasures.

Is it an overly comical series or quite serious? Or does it have a nice balance? What kind of topics does it cover (or has covered so far)?

Okay, I had my first session on Wild Arms 4 Friday night (and two more sittings since) and my verdict is... brilliant!

I'm not saying brilliant in that oh-so familar throw-away fashion that you nomrally get, but brilliant as genuinely brilliant (well, as a Japanese Role Playing Game it certianly is).

It isn't original in the slightest, its not going to revolutionise the genre (or even evolve it), but its a way above average Japanese RPG that's presentation is superb and is clearly a very well-made video game.

One of the most surprising aspects about the game is it's graphics. Very, very good visuals (character and environmental). Strong soundtrack too.

Only thing I might say is that the HEX-grid combat system (at this moment in time) isn't the most complex, and at the moment its quite easy (though having said that, I've played enough RPG's now so that the basic mechanics of the genre have been sussed before I've even begun).

Oh, and one of the other specifics of the game that make it as surprisingly enjoyable as it is has to be the brilliant platforming sections. I haven't gone through many yet, but they're not tacked-on novelty sections - they're genuinely decent sections that are very well impemented. Good cast of characters too, if not original.

As I progress further I'll report more on the game.

P.S. I'm finding Wild Arms 4 vastly superior to Wild Arms 3. Thought I'd share that.

So, what can I say?

There I was twelve - fourteen hours in, navigating the 'Great Stairway' section of the game barely quarter way through, when I reach the end of the section and go through the exit and love-and-behold! The game crashes / freezes!

Luckily I saved literally just seconds prior, so I reset the console and try again. In exactly the same point the game crashes / freezes again. I try a third time after turning the console on & off again and reload it. I try again with the same result.

Next I turn the machine off and check the disc which I discover is in immaculate condition and put it back in and try again. Same result.

So yesterday I sent Play.com (that's where I purchased it) a detailed description of the problem through their complaints / returns area and now will have to wait until next week some time to get a replacement / exchange.

I am not amused. Still, at least I'm not living in discomfort.

It wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't for the timing. Not only has it occured at probably one of the worst times of the year (Christmas Eve in this instance) but also at a time where I'm enjoying the game considerably, and I find it a lot, lot harder to get into a video game now a'days than I did four or so years ago.

Also I've had this problem with another game in the earlier part of the year too. It was Call Of Cthulhu on the Xbox. It was the section where you try to escape the town's residence on the pick-up track, and everytime it got to a certain point the game just freezed / crashed.

The only other instances I've had like this (crippling crash bugs that make game progression impossible) was back in the latter part of 1999 when a faulty batch of Power Stone's were circulating in the South West region of England when the Sega Dreamcast first came out.

Personally in this day and age such crippling bugs shouldn't be found on console game releases, but there you go. I just hope the next copy doesn't screw-up and more importantly, my hunger to play it is still there.

Time will tell.

Anyway, I'm probably going to salvage the situation and either get Kingdom Hearts II, Magna Carta or Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence this week.

Err, sorry about the melodrama but I enjoy a "rant" every now and again. :lol:

Because I know everyone is so interested, I got my replacement copy the other day and as soon as I'm done with the - superb - Forbidden Siren 2 I'll be continuing my progress on this.

Thought people would wanna know, even if they don't.

Sharingan Joe said:
its a great game. though as always the main female lead annoys the hell out of me with her whining. I enjoy the puzzle side of it the most.

An element of the game that surprises me is in its quality in the platforming sections. Really, really well implemented.

I've completed Forbidden Siren 2 now so I can get back to this. Be prepared for regular updates. :lol:

That freeze thing happened to me as well, and it seems to be VERY COMMON with this game, to solve it you need to change the option when you start up the game, like its normally on the colour option, change it to the blakc and white option, not sure what its called then it will work fine.

Also there is another point in the game where the same problems happens, solve it the same way, hope this helps.

Wild arms 3 and 4 are great, but wa 3 was harder IMO

feather said:
That freeze thing happened to me as well, and it seems to be VERY COMMON with this game, to solve it you need to change the option when you start up the game, like its normally on the colour option, change it to the blakc and white option, not sure what its called then it will work fine.

Also there is another point in the game where the same problems happens, solve it the same way, hope this helps.

Wild Arms 3 and 4 are great, but wa 3 was harder IMO

As Victor from One Foot In The Grave famously said on numerous occasions:

"I don't believe it!"

I don't think I mentioned this, but when I got my second copy and eventually tried it out, it did the same thing. I decided to get a refund and put it down to a bad batch. I erased my original save. That was a few weeks ago now. I wasn't that bothered because Okami and Final Fantasy XII were on the horizon see.

Now I know this I'm unsure what to do. I know that if I leave it too long it will be one of those games that disappear. But at the same time there are so many good games on the horizon I don't know whether to sit this one out.

I have to admit I'm ever-so-slightly (literally) pissed off.

Oh, and the option you were referring to was the PAL and NTSC televsion signal option (or to put it in the more well known context 50hz / 60hz option).

Thanks for telling me though, despite the fact I'm in dilemma mode (if I wanted to I could buy it tomorrow, but with Okami and FFXII shortly I won't). :)

Looks like you'll have to rebuy the game and then restart from scratch. I had to do this twice with FFX-2 as I kept hitting the power off button when i was half was through saving and always ended up corrupting the save file

McIcy said:
Looks like you'll have to rebuy the game and then restart from scratch. I had to do this twice with FFX-2 as I kept hitting the power off button when i was half was through saving and always ended up corrupting the save file

Luckily I was only 12 hours in (only?! I must have time to spare and then some!) so it shouldn't be a problem, but its the additional level-ups I particpated in that are the sod of the piece!

Back