Wii/gamecube suggestions!

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Well it has come to this!

Me and my finace (wedding to be in 2016) have been looking at our income and we have realized that we can afford a older console. So we have seen a wii for £28 in a shop and I was wondering if there any gamecube or wii games you guys would recommend? Mainly Nintendo made games and rpgs are the stuff we are looking for. We will slowly build it up only when we can afford it! Having a child does make you rethink things! Thanks in advance guys!

Oh man, i'm itching to get in to Gamecube collecting myself at the moment. It was my favourite console at the time, and it is full of classics. Don't know whether to go and get a gamecube and fork out for the component cables or just buy myself a wii and softmod it so I can play import titles.

Since buying a Wii U i've started diving in to the back catalogue of the Wii and my collection currently stands at: ( * denotes Nintendo made or an RPG/action RPG)

Donkey Kong Country: Returns *
House of The Dead Overkill
Kirbys Epic Yarn *
Madworld
Okami *
Pandoras Tower LE *
Red Steel 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2 *
The Last Story LE *
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wario Land Shake It! *
Warioware Smooth Moves *
Xenoblade LE *
Zelda: Skyward Sword *

I have a spreadsheet of around 100 titles i've earmarked to buy, and most of them can be found for a good price, i'll PM it over to you so you can have a look.

I'd really recommend Mario Strikers Charged Football on Wii, one of the most fun multiplayer games on the system. I'll second most of the recommendations in this thread as well, especially Xenoblade which is one of my all time favourite games.

Kororinpa was excellent on Wii, also Wii Sports. Wii Music is criminally overlooked, but I won't go as far as actually recommending it.

Let's see. If you're looking at Gamecube and Wii, then i have a few ideas. Firstly, Gamecube.
Metroid Prime 1 + 2(or you can always go buy the collection 1-3 on Wii, which works just as well)
Battalion Wars is good fun,
Fire Emblem: Path of radiance is fantastic.
I do highly recommend Resident Evil Remake and Resi 0, both my favourites in the series. I realise they are Capcom, but i feel these should sneak in
Eternal Darkness
Paper Mario

As for Wii:
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are absolute musts.
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Donkey Kong Country Returns
The Last Story

I swear there is a few i'm missing out, but these all come to mind at the moment.

Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii is rather highly priced (minimum of £55 on ebay) so it depends on whether you want to fork out that money for widescreen and motion control support when you can buy the 2 gamecube versions for probably a fiver each and Metroid Prime 3 for around £10.

I first played the games on the GC and played teh Wii Trilogy too. Unsure if I could go back to standard controls but can't justify spending that much on the trilogy.

Well I am interested in off the top of my head.....

Paper Mario Series
Legend of Zelda Series
Mario Platform Series
Mario Kart Series

In regards to rpgs is there many more besides the Last Story, Pandoras Tower, Skies Of Acarida and Xenoblade? How many Fire Elemblem games came out for it besides path of radiance? Thanks for all the help so far guys it has really helped!

Also is there any mega man games or collections that are available?

Isnt Kororinpa a rpg?

Not looking for any mario party or party mini games things.

Also is the wii region free and will any gamecube games not work on it?

1) There is one Fire Emblem game for the Gamecube and one for the Wii. (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn0

2) RPGs are not the wiis strong point. In addition to the titles mentioned, the only games I have earmarked on my list are is Tales of SYmphonia 2, Opoona, Arc Rise Fantasa (USA) and Dokapon Kingdoms.

3) Megaman and Megaman X both have collections for Gamecube and there is Megaman Network Transmission and Megaman X Command for the GC too (the latter being an RPG)

4) Koroinpa is a marble maddness type game (i believe) yu might be thinking of Opoona

5) Wii is not region free. It can be hacked with homebrew channel and gecko os to enable the playback of wii and gamecube titles from any region

britguy said:
5) Wii is not region free. It can be hacked with homebrew channel and gecko os to enable the playback of wii and gamecube titles from any region
If I remember correctly, gecko os only gets around the region lock issues for Wii games only (I have HBC installed on my Wii, and there's no information about gecko os being able to run 'cube games from other regions).

There's probably more, but these are the obvious ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Wii:
Super Smash Bros Brawl (I personally prefer the Project M mod though)
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zelda Skyward Sword

GC:
F-Zero GX

If you like the Pokemon Franchise at all I'd also recommend Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness.
They're not actually created by Gamefreak, but they're both still very good whilst offering a slightly different but welcome approach and feel.

demonix said:
britguy said:
If I remember correctly, gecko os only gets around the region lock issues for Wii games only (I have HBC installed on my Wii, and there's no information about gecko os being able to run 'cube games from other regions).

I get my information from NeoGAF

http://gwht.wikidot.com/region-free

edit plus-

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Talk:Gecko_OS#GameCube.3F
http://www.qj.net/qjnet/wii/wiibrew-gec ... -mode.html

I'd make sure it's one of the Wii models that can play GameCube games before buying games for that system, as later models did remove the compatibility (it was only like, a year or two before the Wii U came out though). It's also worth adding that at the end of May, all of the online modes for the Wii were shut off, aside from the Wii Shop Channel. So if you do buy a game with online capabilities, they won't work.

Anyways, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a phenomenal title. It's available on both Gamecube and Wii, although the Wii version was a last-minute port where the entire map is flipped to make Link right handed xD. The problem with a lot of Gamecube titles is that they can be hard to track down (for example, I've still yet to find a copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance). Twilight Princess is pretty expensive on Gamecube now, but the Wii version can be found for pretty cheap. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is worth picking up as well.

GoldenEye 007 for Wii is a good first-person-shooter game (probably the best the Wii had) and although it now no longer has the online mode, it can still be fun for split-screen multiplayer.

Kororinpa is a sweet cross between Kula World and Super Monkey Ball. Probably still the best use of the remote on the system.

Joshawott said:
It's also worth adding that at the end of May, all of the online modes for the Wii were shut off, aside from the Wii Shop Channel. So if you do buy a game with online capabilities, they won't work.
There is a way to get some of them back online, but it requires an alteration to the connection settings, the homebrew channel and an app which you have to use to run the game with full online capabilities.

Back