Why are nipples being drawn a lot less than they used to be?

Harold Berman

Hikikomori
Like the entire Bikini Warriors series(except the OVA) even when they are nude they are covered. It was meant to be an ecchi, Shows from the 00s, that weren't Tokko for example weren't nippleless. Keijo, I get the idea that if it had been made a decade earlier there would have been nipples, a chow about boob wrestling, but no nipples.
Yeah, just seems a lot of shows from the late 10s and eearly 20s, even those that are meant to be ecchi are going nippleless.
What gives?

Epic first post! 🤣

Part of the answer is that the way anime is marketed has changed over the years. A lot of ecchi shows now use nudity as blu-ray bait and make the censorship of the broadcast version as obnoxious as possible in a desperate attempt to drive up home media sales. As for what caused this change, I'm not sure. Maybe it was changes to broadcast TV content guidelines. Maybe it was changes to the kinds of timeslots these shows are broadcast in. Maybe our perspective has been warped by the increased accessibility of streaming and the fact that there was rarely a legal avenue for watching the broadcast versions of shows until about 15 years ago. Maybe it was just good old corporate cynicism and greed.

The companies that don't want to go the route of censoring the broadcast version have to tread the line of what they're allowed to show on TV at a given time slot. Barbie doll nudity is certainly nothing new; it was the standard in magical girl shows from day one. It's also important to consider that the priorities of the original manga author and publisher may differ from those of the anime adaptation's production committee; they may want to have their oppai-shaped cake and eat it by adapting a popular ecchi manga while toning down the lewdness to appeal to a wider viewership.

And Keijo!!!!!!!! is a butt show. The boobs are just a side-dish. :cool:

There's one channel in Japan that does show the uncensored version of shows, but in the West you have to sail the seven seas.
Interspecies Reviewers, Redo of Healer, World's End Harem, Immoral Guild and this seasons My Life as Inukai-san's Dog all have nipples on show.
But those are specifically ecchi shows. If you're talking about fan service from tamer shows where you see erect nipples through clothes, I can't actually recall seeing any of that in recent shows, even something that could have gone there like Dress-Up Darling.

I would have thought it is more to do with rating system than time period, there are lots of old shows with no nipple also

What is the target audience? Is it going to TV, then maybe you want to reach that rating that will allow your broadcast to go ahead. Is it for a home release, and your target audience is ecchi crowd? Then you forego the rating and show the nipple

Also.... obligatory for those that know... is it female-presenting nipple? i dont know... is it?

Back