Which anime title do you regret buying most in 2013?

For me it would have to be King of Thorn, I purchased it expecting an interesting sci-fi tale instead I got something that was nearly ninety percent endless run around whose twists were nearly all so heavily signposted that it would take something to miss them. Plus the animation wasn't all that great for a standalone feature. I suppose one positive point was that the main character was somewhat sympathetic.

Elfen Lied. I didn't like it much when I first saw it, but I watched it online via a poorly encoded DVD rip streamed illicitly (This was pre Crunchyroll), and I had a combination of lingering guilt about that, plus the hope that it might actually be better in glorious TV. It wasn't. Plus 101 film merely rebundled the old ADV Blu-rays, and a couple of weeks after I got it, Sentai announced the Blu-ray release of the show!

GolGotha said:
Tekkonkinkreet, perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood but it bored me.

That was my second choice. Funny thing is that I already had it on DVD, I just saw a bargain on Blu-ray and thought I'd upgrade, and at that price it seemed reasonable for an average film. Thing is the when I watched it on Blu-ray , I liked it even less.

High School of the Dead was probably my unluckiest purchase. When I bought it in January a few days later they announce a 'Drifters' edition with the OVA.

In June I bought the OVA DVD and then a few days later, Sentai announces a standalone Blu-ray version. Good thing I was lucky with the Manga Omnibus Colour version.

Other than that, the Kaze versions for Berserk and Code Geass.

Loups=Garous. Paid full price for that and it was ..less than pleasing. There was something going on with gender swapping a character too, difference in the sub/dub, it was all too .. plain. Story was there but it didn't work.

Code Geass Seasons 1 & 2 (Kaze bds) - I only paid around £12 for the pair as I used some of my Nectar points. Soon after I purchased them Funi said they had the license for it. After watching my copy I wish I had waited for the Funi version.

mangaman74 said:
Code Geass Seasons 1 & 2 (Kaze bds) - I only paid around £12 for the pair as I used some of my Nectar points. Soon after I purchased them Funi said they had the license for it. After watching my copy I wish I had waited for the Funi version.

Barring the missing S2 extras I thought they'd turned out ok, though no doubt they did the usual weird things to the sound. On reflection I'd probably of waited for Funi's versions and may very well still grab them.

As for most disappointing, probably Shana Season 3, a lot of the things I liked from S1 and S2 were dropped. Allowing the original creator in at this stage to help out was a mistake, too many characters shoe horned in that no doubt had far greater significance in the books.

-edit- Just realised it was most regret, probably Penguindrum, not watched it yet but it's Kaze so I'm not hopeful they did a good job

I can't say I regret buying one the most, but I regret buying quite a few titles this year:

Mawaru Penguindrum Part 1 (US BD)/Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne - Both 1080i/the Penguindrum release is awful.
Canaan (MVM DVD) - The PAL speedup and poor subtitle timing made this series unwatchable to me - Bought Sentai's BD.
Elfen Lied (Both DVD and Bluray) - I honestly have no idea why I bought this series if I'm honest. It doesn't seem like my thing, and I have no desire to watch it at all.
Code Geass Season 1 BD - Funi announced it and their release will no doubt be better.
Berserk Movie 1 CE - Kaze - No CE for movie 2/Bought the first two Viz releases.
Journey to Agartha - Kaze/No Extras - Bought Sentai's version.
Tiger & Bunny V1+2 - Kaze - Bought the two half sets from Viz which have better Video as well as Subs for the OP/ED.

DBZ - thought I'd like it after watching the Kai version, bought all 9 seasons aswell and stupidly imported the Funi sets so I'm stuck with them most likely.
King of Thorn - what a disaster that was

Still got a few things to watch aswell, so could be more

Just Passing Through said:
GolGotha said:
Tekkonkinkreet, perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood but it bored me.
That was my second choice. Funny thing is that I already had it on DVD, I just saw a bargain on Blu-ray and thought I'd upgrade, and at that price it seemed reasonable for an average film. Thing is the when I watched it on Blu-ray , I liked it even less.
I've only ever seen it anywhere on BD once, in Virgin, along with Paprika. Never saw either again in any store.
I saw it at Swansea Animation Days and wasn't all that fussed.

Only two occur to me;

The first is Bakuman, and I think everyone knows what was wrong with it. Preorders are always a risk (especially so with UK anime) and I got burned with this release. I could have sent it back to Amazon but at the time it was the only English subbed release available so I kept hold of it. Then the Australian release was announced... sigh.

The second would be Canaan. I was bored out of my skull when I watched this, and it took real determination for me to finish the series. What makes it worse is that I bought it at full price, only for Play.com to sell it for less than half-price when they were clearing out their warehouse stock. Missing out on a bargain like that always grates, but I suppose I would have regretted paying any amount after watching it.

Dannielle said:
Loups=Garous. Paid full price for that and it was ..less than pleasing. There was something going on with gender swapping a character too, difference in the sub/dub, it was all too .. plain. Story was there but it didn't work.

I saw that at the anime all nighter in May and I felt ripped off even though it technically only cost me a fiver to see it. People were so bored they were either falling asleep during it or leaving.

BanzaiJedi said:
Only two occur to me;

The first is Bakuman, and I think everyone knows what was wrong with it. Preorders are always a risk (especially so with UK anime) and I got burned with this release. I could have sent it back to Amazon but at the time it was the only English subbed release available so I kept hold of it. Then the Australian release was announced... sigh.

The second would be Canaan. I was bored out of my skull when I watched this, and it took real determination for me to finish the series. What makes it worse is that I bought it at full price, only for Play.com to sell it for less than half-price when they were clearing out their warehouse stock. Missing out on a bargain like that always grates, but I suppose I would have regretted paying any amount after watching it.

Canaan would be second on my list of regretted purchases. It held out some promise at first but as I went along with it I realised like you that it was actually a rather boring show, but I was also like you determined to get to the end of it.

Mawaru Penguindrum Parts 1-2
Not that I don't like the show; the problem is that I don't know if I do - I've owned part 1 since MCM Comic Con in May and still haven't found time to watch it! I picked up Part 2 just because I'm pretty anal about finishing series' I've bought.

Back