Where are the sequel's DVDs?

Dracos

Dragon Knight
In the rush to get new shows streamed or out on DVD to appease the fans that want the new shows as soon as Japan, it appears that companies have forgotten that some shows they already have have sequels, OVAs and movies. The reason for this maybe that the shows did not sell so well or the price of licenses are just to high on shows that did sell (who is going to spend twice as much to make the same or less?). Another reason could be with all the companies coming, going and changing their names nobody knows who has what licenses or wants to jump in and only have the later series (people who can't get the earlier stuff are not likely to buy just the new).

What chance do we have of getting some of the sequels out there if they go out of the 1-2 year time frame it used to take to get things to Western DVDs from Japanese broadcast. Some, none, sub only?

Some shows I am personally waiting for are Shakugan no Shana, Hell Girl, Moonlight Mile, Familiar of Zero and Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple I know some of these may not be the best titles available, but I want to have the rest of the stories. Also several of these shows have a big enough following that I can't understand why they have not been picked up.

So what shows are people waiting for?

I had not forgotten that, it is why I mentioned companies coming and going.

I just wonder how the Japanese companies are feeling about some of those shows that are trapped in that state, where nobody wants the second season if they can't have the first. They have to be sitting there thinking "we got some decent money from the first season license and from what we hear it has fans in the US and sold okay, why has no one come to buy the second season from us".

Funimation have the rights to Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple Season 2 in the US.

Season 2 Part 1 is being released March next year

Dracos said:
I had not forgotten that, it is why I mentioned companies coming and going.

I just wonder how the Japanese companies are feeling about some of those shows that are trapped in that state, where nobody wants the second season if they can't have the first. They have to be sitting there thinking "we got some decent money from the first season license and from what we hear it has fans in the US and sold okay, why has no one come to buy the second season from us".

the same way Kadokawa are about macross i'd guess

Great to hear about Kenichi. I checked up on ANN and funimation's site before posting but I could not see anything in a quick look about the release of the second season which is why I included it. I just checked rightsuf have it down as March 2010. Still a fair wait and 9 months since season 1 part 2.

@Ryo. I think the Macross problem is mainly down to not being able to pin down agreements with the myriad of rights holders all at the same time before someone gets pissy and takes their ball home.

Ryo Chan said:
Shana and Zero have no licence atm, thanks to Genon dieing

remember their releases for season 1 are funi rescues

Not 100% right. Shana and Zero aren't Funi rescues, they're still Geneon titles. Funimation are distributing them until the Geneon licence lapses, at which point I doubt they'll get rescued unless the price is right.

Back