Whats your biggest bug-bear?

Tachi

Mushi-shi
For me its people eating with their mouth open or talking with their mouth full of food, it's been a big bug-bear of mine since a young age - i can't believe some people can be so disgusting as to do either of them, i don't want to hear or see what you're eating you kretin!

What's the main thing that grinds your gears?

A little while ago in response to the question "If you could change one thing about humanity what would it be?" I decided I would stop people thinking they have any right to expect or demand others act in accordance with their own personal beliefs and opinions. That goes for people on the left and right of the political spectrum. If you don't agree with abortion then fine, don't have one. If you don't like the idea of guns, don't have one. If you believe you're going to Heaven and I'm going to Hell after we die then fine, great, good for you. But the moment those thoughts and beliefs turn into activism to try and prevent anybody from doing anything not in accordance with their own personal beliefs, then the people doing THAT are my biggest annoyance (and Public Enemy #1 as far as I'm concerned). Not everyone believes the same as you, and it should be recognised that each person has the right to make decisions for themselves regardless of whether you agree with them or not. That's freedom, you arrogant, controlling f*cks.

Surely being able to be an activist and voice your dislike of the actions of others and promote your own beliefs is also all part of freedom? I'm all for letting most people do what I want but I do get a little arsey with the people I love, I think if people love you and want you to love them there should be some kind of compromise in respecting people's beliefs etc but it does go both ways.

Personally I can't abide squeaky scratchy noises. Now I know everyone thinks they hate these, nails on a blackboard and all that, but it actually makes me physically nauseous and I have been known to leave restaurants mid conversation :p Seriously guys if you're making those noises at the table you do not know how to, and should not be allowed to, use cutlery.

I work in a supermarket, so listing the things that cause people to annoy the crap out of me would be huge.

I second FourthLion's inability to tolerate squeaky or scratchy noises though, like when people rub their hands down windows, or when they scuff their shoes of the floor. It's seriously painful. There are a lot of kids who do that where I work. xP

FourthLion said:
Surely being able to be an activist and voice your dislike of the actions of others and promote your own beliefs is also all part of freedom? I'm all for letting most people do what I want but I do get a little arsey with the people I love, I think if people love you and want you to love them there should be some kind of compromise in respecting people's beliefs etc but it does go both ways.
Promotion of your beliefs is fine, prohibition of other people's isn't. The thing about most grass-roots lobbying is that it doesn't promote an agenda in a positive way, or present the issue as a choice which they encourage a certain response to. Mostly it simply demonises any opposition to their stance and seeks to restrict everyone's freedom (in one party's favour) based on that.

I realise I've made a bit of a heavier choice than others here, but in viewing things relative to our biggest annoyance then even mis-aligned DVD spines fade into insignificance compared to these people...

I agree that people chewing width their mouths open or talking with their mouth full really puts me off. If I'm eating and think of something gotta say or am prompted to speak, I make a gesture (like raising my hand up a bit) and quickly finish chewing before speaking.

Also, if someone wants to use anything of mine, ASK, even if I'm not using it. I had a big problem last week where my younger brother would leave his iPhone charger at his friend's house, so he'd just use my iPad charger without asking me - often meaning that I couldn't charge my iPad or other devices (I use the main plug thing for other USB chargers too). Sure it's something really small, but it bugs me. Also, don't come into my room and take it when I'm asleep...wait until I wake up or if it's urgent, wake me up.

I was wondering what Bug-Bear meant! I've not heard the expression being used here. I tend to call it Pet-Hate :)

My most hated things:

1) People glued to their mobile phone. It's the height of bad manners. Especially when you might be walking down the street and they pretend to not see you walking because their eyes are too busy on their Samsung III Galaxy/IPhone 4 and you have to make the effort to move out the way.

2) People bragging (being extremely arrogant) about their jobs/holidays/partner/nights out and they don't realise it.

3) Ignorant customers who look down on you for doing your job.

4) People who crawl up the close of my flat at 2-3am shouting or talking loudly when I am trying to sleep for work.

5)People who have pet dogs and don't clean up after them. It's a health hazard to children in general and my shoes!

6) My neighbours who like to dump their rubbish into my wheelie bin.

...I think that covers most of it.

People who spit on the floor for obivious reasons.

People who have to play their music very loud on the bus. No need for it.

People who kiss their teeth.

People who let their kids run around supermarkets like it's a ******* playground. Mostly on their scooters. I work in a supermarket so like Emprye I really know how annoying working in one can be.

Racist people don't like them.

And people who push their reglious beliefs on everyone. I hate being judged by any region. If you belive in it then get but don't start telling me I am wrong for not beliving in anything.

I'm not sure if its a northern phrase or not then - being that i was born in halifax yet moved to Luton when i was 5 i've always had that "almost language barrier" between the two, some people understand northern phrases or ways of thinking and vice versa some northerners understand southern thinking - mainly speaking the southerners don't understand sarcasm that well - cause for endless amusement.

I have to agree with Josh, alot of people borrow things from my desk at work when i'm not there. it's actually led to me colour coding certain parts of things so that i can go around and find out exactly who has taken them.

Another Bug-bear has to be manners, when i hold a door open for anyone i atleast the bear minimum of a "cheers" or "thanks" or when driving and although i have right of way i let someone pull out or cross my lane to turn down a road i expect atleast a raised hand or fingers to say thanks.

Personally when i'm eating i ususally put my fist infront of my mouth (back of hand facing mouth) mainly because i have a problem with people who eat and don't care about the possible food that may stick to the side of mouth or lips and my way tries not to look like a messy git. Although it seems weird to watch me eat like that i can always guarentee my face looks clean whilst eating and if i need to talk then i won't be showing people what i'm eating. Always eat with mouth closed.

Some people are so rude and believe that everyone owes them something.

Tachi said:
I'm not sure if its a northern phrase or not then - being that i was born in halifax yet moved to Luton when i was 5 i've always had that "almost language barrier" between the two, some people understand northern phrases or ways of thinking and vice versa some northerners understand southern thinking - mainly speaking the southerners don't understand sarcasm that well - cause for endless amusement.
Interesting that, I think it's more deadpan sarcasm where people can't tell if you're serious or not, which still seems prevalent up here but less so anywhere else. I think most people these days expect sarcasm to be delivered with heavy vocal emphasis to indicate that you are in fact being sarcastic, which I'm fairly sure is an American invention. To me, people not knowing whether you're serious or not (and therefore not being sure how to react) is part of the fun of sarcasm, but a mate of mine actually upset people at university (girls, it has to be said) because they thought that by delivering sarcastic comments in such a deadpan way he was somehow judging or condemning them, which is hilarious.

For me, it is the stupidity, ignorance and inconsideration exhibited by most of humanity when they come to shop at my place of work. The following are the most common:
-Customers going behind the tills.
Surely this is obvious; behind the tills is staff only EVERYWHERE.

-People who assume that if a product is near a special offer POS, the POS must therefore refer to it, regardless of what the POS actually says.
Read the damn label before you make a scene, dumb-asses.

-People who cannot ask properly for the item they want from behind the counter. There are five different varieties of AA batteries behind the counter, but the fools will disregard this fact and simply ask for AA batteries as if there is only one brand, pack size and quality level.
Simple observation, people. Look before you ask.

-People who want a particular item, but call it by another brand's name. It is as retarded as wanting to buy a PS Vita, and calling it a GameBoy, or calling Fanta Tango, etc. I don't care whether it is street slang or whatever.
You call it what it says on the packaging, or you describe it by appearance if you don't know that name.

-People who call something by a name that it ceased to be called by before I was born.
Get with the times.

-Racists coming to me for service before my colleagues are not British, and then having the nerve to talk to me as if we are like kin for being the same nationality, and complaining about the amount of foreign staff.
Race, nationality, etc, are worthless labels. They do not define you, only your actions will do that.

/end rant

Muts were do you work? I feel like visiting and making your day :p

Deadpan sarcasm is used alot by myself, i'd like to think that my personality is easy to get along with and placid until you either intervene in my plans or repeatedly annoy me, to which sarcasm and dry sense of humour will begin until i'm either left to get on with my own devices or the idiot learns that i'm being sarcastic and backs off.

I'd say my main problem is that people feel offended too easy these days and voicing your opinion can either be taken the right or wrong way - like its already been mentioned, some people are racist or act certain ways for various reasons.... i choose to leave my words largely unfiltered, if someone walks through a door i'm holding open for them and doesn't say thanks then i don't feel the slightest bit of shame saying "normal people say thank you when someone is courtious" usually followed by "dickhead or ********"

Hang on Ilmae, Is there an exception when you do it purely for comedic purposes? There's a long running "joke" in my friends that when one member talks i (99% of the time) talk over him.

He finds it funny half the time but then the other half it really winds him up. - as its for comedy, it i were to do this infront of you, would you get annoyed?

ilmaestro said:
People who keep talking or interrupt other people when it's cl...
Yo ilmaestro...
55g4h.png

neptune2venus said:
I was wondering what Bug-Bear meant! I've not heard the expression being used here. I tend to call it Pet-Hate :)

My most hated things:

1) People glued to their mobile phone. It's the height of bad manners. Especially when you might be walking down the street and they pretend to not see you walking because their eyes are too busy on their Samsung III Galaxy/IPhone 4 and you have to make the effort to move out the way.

I don't mind that so much, I mind more when you're out in a group and suddenly everyone just starts checking their phones and ignoring conversation. If two of 3 people are talking and you have nothing to add, sure you can have a quick check or whatever, but if I had an urgently repliable text I would say "I'm so sorry, I just have to reply to this" and then resume conversation, not sullenly just look down and start tapping away instead of trying to contribute.

Back