Whats the likelyhood of a UK manga publication?

Why? A few chapters of loads of series a month, news stories, previews and reviews and at a good price, why does that suck?

Ramen89 said:
Whats the likelyhood of the UK getting there own monthy manga publication, USA and France have them, why not us?

Its a possobility I suppose, and while I wouldnt be interested in a UK version of shounen-jump if there was a manga magazine with a wide mix of genres and different styles of series I'd certainly be interested. Although of course even a shounen-jump style magazine would be welcomed by many people I'm sure.

You have to take into account just how niche anime and manga are here, while not mainstream in France and the US, both these countries have resonable anime and manga markets far before the current UK boom. So theres probably a bigger fanbase there to support such publications.

Not something to rule out entirely though in my opinion. We can hope!

I think it's likely, but not for at least another year. The UK manga community is growing rapidly but it's still very young and somewhat violotile.

I'd love to a see a Shounen Jump magazine for UK fans. I love Naruto and Death Note sounds amazing too- so it's a magazine I'd certainly be interested in checking out. Any kind of anthology would be good. Actually, doesn't Sweatdrop studio's publish one?

Actually, doesn't Sweatdrop studio's publish one?

Thats that home grown stuff is'nt it? Im all for helping budding artists but I dont really want to pay for something that Im not going to read :lol:

BTW you should definetly check out Death Note, one of the most original and intelligent mangas in a while!

Paul said:
I think it's likely, but not for at least another year. The UK manga community is growing rapidly but it's still very young and somewhat violotile.

I'd love to a see a Shounen Jump magazine for UK fans. I love Naruto and Death Note sounds amazing too- so it's a magazine I'd certainly be interested in checking out. Any kind of anthology would be good. Actually, doesn't Sweatdrop studio's publish one?

I agree with you there, this year we have seen huge growths, for example yesterday while in a small rural town's only bookshop I stumbled upon some .hack, but I don't think we're ready yet.

Certainly in France, manga is everywhere, particularly popular among students in university cities like Rennes, where for every bookshop there are three "sci-fi" bookshops which deal in graphic novels and manga, and the local Virgin Megastore has around fourteen towering shelves packed with manga. In many French towns, i've seen manga in supermarkets. The UK is a year (or perhaps a few) from reaching this stage, but when it does i'm sure such a publication will be created by some enterprising company.

Death Note is stunning in every aspect, a perfect package, in my opinion. It's quite intellegent, really, focusing on the planning of two geniuses as they attempt to outfox eachother in a game of death.

Back