What to do if you have been pickpocketed on public transport

I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention. Earlier this afternoon, I was nearly pickpocketed on the bus as I was heading home. It happened very quickly and they nearly made off with my Death Note wallet.

Luckily, a passenger behind me spotted what was going on and nothing was taken. I have reported it and it is being investigated, but the police gave these helpful tips that I wanted to pass on to you all:

- Call 999 - It never occured to me to call from the bus, (afterall, its not considered a serious crime) but I am told, there are nearly always local police officers on patrol (in London) so the nearest one's would have come to help.

- If the pickpocketers jump off the bus, remember which stop they got off. This will help the beat police. If they see someone matching the description you give, they have the powers to stop and search.

- Take the name and telephone numbers of any witnesses. Usually, the person being pickpocketed isn't aware that something is happening, but other passengers might notice that something is amiss.

- If you are pickpocketed or like me, an attemped one, speak to the bus driver and get the following:
- the bus number
- the run number
- which bus you are on
- ask if the CCTV is working

- The bus driver will normally tell you to contact your local bus garage (with the information above) and the time when the incident took place as they can keep the CCTV footage.

- Also give the above information to the police, they will contact the bus company as part of their investigation.

I had a lucky escape, but often in these situations people dont know what to do. So I just wanted to post this up for everyone's information.

I've never been pickpocketed, but a friend had her passport stolen before starting a job. A cookie for anyone who guess where her Visa was.... :/

In the end, she almost lost her job because she couldn't prove she had the right to work here.

I always try to keep an eye on my pockets, often walking with my hand in my wallet pocket. I think even with CCTV footage you probably won't catch the guy, especially if he's wearing a hood or obscuring his face somehow.

A tip if you carry a bag - When you are say waiting for a bus and you put your bag down, put your leg in one of the shoulder straps so someone can't just run past and grab your bag. It's very easy for someone to do that

Useful information here. Personally, if I noticed as either a victim or a member of the public I would shout "F*cking THIEF! GET HIM!" and point.

Two things which (I think) help me not get robbed - Wearing relatively tight jeans so you can actually feel your wallet at all times and wearing T-shirts / shirts which are long enough to cover the opening of your back pocket.

It's never happened to be, probably because I'm way too cautious with my stuff. I usually do what Asdrubael does and put one leg through my shouldeer strap, while I check for my wallet every 5 seconds

For many years I have kept my wallet on a chain. During school it worked quite well, and my experiences in London have yet to highlight to me any flaws in doing such.

When I was in halls, those carrying handbags seemed to lose items on the Tube more than us rucksack-carrying folk.

Ryo Chan said:
we shalln't talk bout pick pockets when chaz is around

i want my camera back :(
Hehe, yeah, but there are things to point out here:
1) It was a knackered camera, on which it's only value was the photos that were stolen.
2) You got a far better one (which was needed) and it was pretty cheap anyways. (Of which I chipped in for.)
3) I was in Spain... I have limited spanish and I dont think the cops could help me find a guy/girl in white clothes while in the space of an hour (going to airport).

If you're an attractive woman and there are some guys wanting to impress you on-board, cry "Help!!! This pervert felt my ****!!!" and watch what happens. I don't know if it'd work but it could lead to some lulz.

My wallet is fairly large and I always keep it the front pocket of my jeans. It would be a struggle for anyone to even nick it, nevermind do it without me noticing. Anyway, if they so much as tried they'd be getting a face full of elbow.

Back