What is art to you? What do you like?

Chaz

Chuunibyou
I am human myself, so I do like to let my curiousity wander from-time-to-time. This isn't an anime specific question, but it can blend into the catergory.

So the questions are:
What is art to you? - What meaning does it have to you? Is it a strong passion that you have for it or is it just a subject that exists/something you've heard of?
What do you like? - A specific style, or an artist; does it inspire/enlighten/entertain you? Are you offended/delighted by certain things, i.e. nudes are pointless/a symbol?

Some area to consider are:
Paintings, Architecture, ceramics, sculptures, room-specific items (i.e. tables), Graphic designs, textiles and fashion, drawings, comics... you get the idea.

I'll reply to this after a few hits have been made. I'm just taking my time to think of an answer.

I consider art to be someones view of the world in front of them.

I do however, think that their interpretation should be recognisable as what they originally meant it to be, otherwise they've effectively conveyed 'caca' as a message, which means the person has next to no artistic skill.

My tutors constantly argue that in certain era's, people who did something completely different and called it art, were praised because of their deviance. My response every single time;

"Just because it's different doesn't make it goood art."

People like Mark Rothko, Howard Hodgekin, Joseph Albers, Robert Rauschenberg do not have any artistic skill beyond the level you'd find in an eleven year old's art class.

So, I consider art to be something which requires skill, not a nook any talentless weasel can squirm into.

Art to me is a varied subject for me. The main rule of art as far as I'm concerned is it's leaving your perspective of something somewhere as a physical image/product. Most of this is showing expression, but there is a vast range of items that help with everyday ideals. Cups, bowls, tables, buildings - these are a few things that can be altered on a varied scale and still be artistic. Originality is said to be dead, but art can come from anywhere, even if you pick influence from something else.
I have an up-down relationship with art. I enjoy it, but I'm always near a computer. I'm ignorant with a lot of things, but I should be more mature, go look at artists and go to galleries instead of waiting for group visits and sitting on my **** all day.

My favourite type is figurative, especially females. To me, a figure is attractive because you understand it due to having one yourself. But you still want to hear what others say about themselves.
In the 2-D world, my main art fetish is anime/manga style, especially the fantasy style and quite unorthadox ideals behind the picture. It is the style that I have chosen to adapt as well, as I can interpritate things easier in that form.
Some of my favourite artists on Deviant Art are http://toounit.deviantart.com/ and http://kidchan.deviantart.com/.

3-D wise, I collect a lot of anime/manga stuff for visual eye-candy (not perversed, but visually entertaining). But to go out of scope, I do like other figurative sculptures. I do like simplistic forms, where the arms merge with the rest of it, but it's not a specific taste. To me, whether it's a one-of-a-kind or manufactured, a good shape and style will always win.

But I adore Salvador Dali's work. Even though I work in ceramics and his is mainly bronze, I can be inspired by his work on an obscure level. You can ask why and how he could do such things to animals, humans and objects, but I love the feeling of being mind-boggled by that quetsioning. He also has a large ego that suprises and astonishes me.

One thing is that people seem to get the wrong idea when I do look at nudes and such. An example is when I did research on maid outfits and Gothic Lolita fashions. I liked the over-frilly look of the uniforms, and the layers and sections it's split up into. When I presented it, I apparently had a pervesed glutton for skimpy slaves and hookers.
That is how naive my look on things are, as I don't look beyond the visual impression of something. A nude is just a shell, but you want to look at the whole image before that shell has a meaning. Why is it in that pose and such.

Sorry, I've turned this into an essay. :oops: I hope that people have a better understanding of me now, but I'm happy to hear other's views.
And I agree Kurogane. It does require skill and an ability to do things instead of just scribbles. I'm not a fantastic drawer myself, but I at least put effort into it (except when generating ideas, that's needed to be done quickly at times).

Back