What Games Are You Playing?

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Two more games played during November.

Game: 30 - God of War Ragnarok (PlayStation 5)
Acquired: November 2022

Because of my work bonus I decided to get the latest God of War game earlier than planned. God of War Ragnarok, aka God of War 5, is the latest instalment in the series and the second & final major instalment in the Norse mythology saga. The game takes place a few years after the events of the 2018 game and we see Kratos & Atreus deal with the threat of Ragnarok as well as other Norse gods.

Now it's been 4 years since I last played the previous game and to be honest it's been long enough that I don't actually remember what was in the previous game in terms of features. Ragnarok does retain the use of the RPG aspect with customising your skills and weapons but other than two key weapons the rest I can't recollect. However, what this game does provide is really good, the combat feels rewarding especially the parry tactic and the shield, the world-building is incredible and the character dialogue throughout is investing, which makes tackling the side content more interesting than a lot of other games. Basically, the dialogue is so good you won't be bored to death.

Now throughout my playthrough I did decide to delve into the side content as the game lets you try out some of the areas within a realm along your journey which is optional but lets you find new items to support your equipment, more XP to level up and side-quests that will benefit your trophy progression. The side-quests also add to the world-building, so it feels just as good as the main story which is great as other RPGs tend to be pretty weak on this aspect (side-quests in a lot of RPGs don't have much effort on them and are mainly fetch-quests, though I hear Trails is pretty solid for their quest content).

While you're on a boat or mounting on a sleigh with wolves, your characters will monologue throughout which adds a lot of fun moments and references to previous games. I know many people don't want to play the Greek mythology saga, but I highly recommend playing the franchise from the start to get the best impact possible on Kratos' development because there's a lot of call-backs and dialogue that hits more if you know his backstory.

I spent 45 hours overall on the game with all trophies acquired, including the Platinum. There are some tough fights with the Berserker Gravestones and a post-game boss fight but with practice and a very handy Resurrection Stone, you will beat it without an issue. One trick that I have found is that some big bosses will try to bifrost you (which eats your HP, especially if you get damaged after) and to protect yourself you'll want to double-tap the shield so that it does a deflect - you'll notice this tactic will generally appear when you see two blue circles appear on the enemy. Enemies will also have two yellow circles which if timed right will allow you to parry, or two red circles which basically means dodge them as you can't protect yourself from them.

I haven't talked much about the story or other gameplay elements to avoid major spoilers, but I do recommend going into the game with as little knowledge as possible because it's a great journey from start to finish and wraps up very well.

Game: 31 - Super Mario 64 - 3D All-Stars Version (Nintendo Switch)
Acquired: April 2021

Back when I first acquired a Nintendo Switch the first game that I basically played was the original Super Mario 64 remastered from the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection. This remaster upscales the game and makes it clearer, though it doesn't improve the framerate.

I 100% finished the Nintendo DS remake many years ago and while I owned the digital version on the Nintendo Wii via the Virtual Console, I had never finished the original before and now I finally have. I started the game earlier in the year but only continued where I left off while I was on holiday since I brought the Nintendo Switch with me.

The camera is pretty terrible, it's not great and has caused a lot of deaths as a result so I won't lie there. But besides that, I do think the rest of the gameplay holds up very well. The jump setup is cool, the weird crouch-jump trick is handy for large gaps, and it's challenging in specific areas. I haven't gone for 100% completion in this instance because I can't be asked to try and get 100 coins for each level so I managed to get as many as 108 of 120 stars overall (6 stars of 7 for each level, though I did manage to get 100 coins for 2 levels, and about 11 of 15 from the Castle).

Overall, Super Mario 64 is good fun and will eventually go through the other two games in the collection later.

My backlog so far:
#​
PC/Steam Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the SkyTurn-Based RPG
2​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SCTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation 3 Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
3D Dot Game HeroesAction RPG
2​
Castlevania: Lords of ShadowAction, Hack n Slash
3​
CatherinePuzzle
4​
Drakengard 3Action RPG
5​
Eternal SonataTurn-Based RPG
6​
FolkloreAction RPG
7​
inFAMOUSAction
8​
inFAMOUS 2Action
9​
Katamari ForeverPuzzle
10​
PuppeteerPlatformer
11​
Sly Cooper: Thieves in TimeAction, Platformer
12​
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the OverlordTactical RPG, Visual Novel
13​
Way of the Samurai 4Action
#​
PlayStation 4 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
13 Sentinels: Aegis RimTactical RPG, Visual Novel
2​
AI: The Somnium FilesAdventure, Visual Novel
3​
Black Clover: Quartet KnightsAction, Fighting
4​
Bullet Girls PhantasiaAction, Shooter
5​
The Caligula Effect: OverdoseTurn-Based RPG
6​
Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New ChampionsSports
7​
Catherine Full BodyPuzzle
8​
Chaos;ChildVisual Novel
9​
Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve StarsTurn-Based RPG
10​
Cyberdimension Neptunia: Four Goddesses OnlineAction RPG
11​
Danganronpa 1 ReloadVisual Novel
12​
Danganronpa 2 ReloadVisual Novel
13​
Danganronpa V3: Killing HarmonyVisual Novel
14​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 1: Rinne UtopiaVisual Novel, Dating Sim
15​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 2: Ars InstallVisual Novel, Dating Sim
16​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 3: Twin Edition: Rio ReincarnationVisual Novel, Dating Sim
17​
Disaster Report 4: Summer MemoriesAdventure, Simulation
18​
Dragon Quest Heroes IIAction RPG, Musou
19​
Dragon's Crown ProAction RPG
20​
Fairy TailTurn-Based RPG
21​
Fate/Extella LinkMusou
22​
Final Fantasy VIII RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
23​
Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares WinTactical RPG
24​
Gal*Gun 2On-Rails Shooter
25​
Gintama RumbleAction, Musou
26​
GOD EATER 3Action Hunter RPG
27​
Gravity Rush 2Action, Platformer
28​
The Great Ace Attorney: AdventuresVisual Novel
29​
The Great Ace Attorney 2: ResolveVisual Novel
30​
Gundam Breaker 3 BREAK EDITIONAction, Arcade
31​
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite CombateAction RPG
32​
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of HeavenFighting
33​
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of FujisawaPuzzle, Visual Novel
34​
LangrisserTactical RPG
35​
Langrisser IITactical RPG
36​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold SteelTurn-Based RPG
37​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IITurn-Based RPG
38​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IIITurn-Based RPG
39​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IVTurn-Based RPG
40​
Megadimension Neptunia VIITurn-Based RPG
41​
Megadimension Neptunia VIIRTurn-Based RPG
42​
MELTY BLOOD: TYPE LUMINAFighting
43​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja StormAction, Fighting
44​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2Action, Fighting
45​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3Action, Fighting
46​
NEO: The World Ends With YouAction RPG
47​
Neptunia Virtual StarsAction
48​
Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja WarsAction
49​
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
50​
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant KingdomAction RPG
51​
Nights of AzureAction RPG
52​
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New MoonAction RPG
53​
One Piece Burning BloodFighting
54​
One Piece Unlimited World RedAction
55​
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3Musou
56​
Our World Is EndedVisual Novel
57​
Persona 5 RoyalTurn-Based RPG
58​
Persona 5 StrikersAction RPG, Musou
59​
Phoenix Wright: Ace AttorneyVisual Novel
60​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for AllVisual Novel
61​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and TribulationsVisual Novel
62​
Punch LineVisual Novel
63​
Raging LoopVisual Novel
64​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-: Prophecy of the ThroneVisual Novel
65​
Resident Evil 6Action Horror
66​
Resident Evil: RevelationsAction Horror
67​
Resident Evil: Revelations 2Action Horror
68​
Robotics;Notes DaSHVisual Novel
69​
Robotics;Notes ELITEVisual Novel
70​
SD Gundam G Generation Cross RaysTactical RPG
71​
SD Gundam G Generation GenesisTactical RPG
72​
Secret of ManaAction RPG
73​
Sengoku Basara 4: SumeragiMusou
74​
Senran Kagura Burst Re:NewalAction
75​
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD RemasterTurn-Based RPG
76​
Shining Resonance: RefrainAction RPG
77​
Steins;Gate EliteVisual Novel
78​
Super Neptunia RPGTurn-Based RPG
79​
Super Robot Wars 30Tactical RPG
80​
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon DwellersTactical RPG
81​
Super Robot Wars TTactical RPG
82​
Super Robot Wars XTactical RPG
83​
Sword Art Online: Fatal BulletAction RPG
84​
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Sessions!Music, Rhythm
85​
Tales of BerseriaAction RPG
86​
Tales of VesperiaAction RPG
87​
Tales of ZestiriaAction RPG
88​
Tokyo Xanadu eX+Action RPG
89​
Trials of ManaAction RPG
90​
Utawarerumono: Mask of DeceptionTactical RPG, Visual Novel
91​
Utawarerumono: Mask of TruthTactical RPG, Visual Novel
92​
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the FallenTactical RPG, Visual Novel
93​
Utawarerumono: ZanAction, Musou
94​
Valkyria Chronicles 4Tactical RPG
95​
Valkyria RevolutionAction RPG
96​
Wing of DarknessAction, Arcade
97​
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival EditionAction RPG
98​
WORLDEND SYNDROMEVisual Novel
99​
Yakuza 3 RemasteredAction Beat em up
100​
Yakuza 4 RemasteredAction Beat em up
101​
Yakuza 5 RemasteredAction Beat em up
102​
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this WorldVisual Novel
103​
Ys IX: Monstrum NoxAction RPG
#​
PlayStation 5 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Cyberpunk 2077Action
2​
JudgmentAction, Beat em up
3​
Lost JudgmentAction, Beat em up
4​
Neptunia ReVerseTurn-Based RPG
5​
Nioh 2Action Souls RPG
6​
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit of Wonder LabyrinthMetroidvania RPG
7​
Resident Evil 2Survival Horror
8​
Resident Evil 3Survival Horror
9​
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy OriginAction Souls RPG
10​
Super Monkey Ball: Banana ManiaPuzzle
11​
Yakuza 7: Like a DragonTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation Vita Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Bullet GirlsAction, Shooter
2​
Freedom WarsAction
3​
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black HeartTactical RPG
4​
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action UnleashedAction
5​
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS ZombiesAction, Musou
6​
Muv-LuvVisual Novel, Dating Sim
7​
Muv-Luv AlternativeVisual Novel
8​
Superdimension Neptune vs SEGA Hard GirlsTurn-Based RPG
9​
Valkyrie Drive BhikkhuniAction
#​
Nintendo Switch Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Fire Emblem: Three HousesTactical RPG
2​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from ZeroTurn-Based RPG
3​
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WildAction RPG
4​
Mario Kart 8 DeluxeRacing
5​
New Super Mario Bros U DeluxePlatformer
6​
Senran Kagura ReflexionsSimulation
7​
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's FuryAction, Platformer
8​
Super Mario GalaxyAction, Platformer
9​
Super Mario SunshineAction, Platformer
10​
Super Smash Bros. UltimateFighting
11​
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive EditionAction RPG
12​
Xenoblade Chronicles 2Action RPG

gGNW84cl.png
52 Games Goal:
No.Game
Console​
Acquired​
Genre
1​
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
PS3​
2017​
Musou
2​
Toukiden 2
PS4​
2019​
Hunter RPG
3​
Fist of the Nort Star: Lost Paradise
PS4​
2019​
Action, Beat em Up
4​
JUMP FORCE
PS4​
2022​
Fighting
5​
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul
PS4​
2020​
Fighting
6​
Code Vein
PS4​
2020​
Action Souls RPG
7​
Super Robot Wars V
PS4​
2019​
Tactical RPG
8​
Gran Turismo 7
PS5​
2022​
Racing
9​
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
PS4​
2020​
Action, Hack n Slash
10​
SG/ZH: School Girl / Zombie Hunter
PS4​
2021​
Action, Shooter
11​
Ratchet & Clank: QForce
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
12​
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
13​
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation
Vita​
2018​
Turn-Based RPG
14​
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation
Vita​
2018​
Turn-Based RPG
15​
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark
PS4​
2021​
Visual Novel
16​
Spirit Hunter: NG
PS4​
2021​
Visual Novel
17​
Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire
PS4​
2021​
Shoot em up
18​
Resident Evil 4
PS4​
2022​
Action, Horror
19​
Resident Evil 5
PS4​
2022​
Action, Horror
20​
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles HD
PS3​
2021​
On-Rails Shooter
21​
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles HD
PS3​
2021​
On-Rails Shooter
22​
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time HD
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
23​
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
24​
Stray
PS5​
2022​
Platformer
25​
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones HD
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
26​
Resident Evil HD Remaster
PS4​
2022​
Survival Horror
27​
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Remake)
PS5​
2022​
Platformer
28​
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (Remake)
PS5​
2022​
Platformer
29​
Nioh Remastered
PS5​
2022​
Action Souls RPG
30​
God of War Ragnarok
PS5​
2022​
Action RPG
31​
Super Mario 64 (3D All-Stars HD Remaster)
Switch​
2021​
Platformer

FmtJjLOl.png

DragoStark

Student Council President
I finished Shining Resonance Refrain (and 100% it)
It certainly scratched the JRPG itch. Yes it was pretty generic but I still enjoyed it. Sometimes you don't need a deep story or complicated mechanics to enjoy a game. Surprising amount of post game content too.
Now that's done tho and as suggested by Grav, time to go back to Japanese crime with Yakuza 5 just in time for December. Is this game gonna make me cry as well? I'm 6 for 6 (including Judgement) so there's a very good possibility it will 😂

Aeon

Dandy Guy, in Space
I've been playing a fair bit of A Plague Tale Innocence today; I'm up to chapter 11 if I can remember, it's pretty good all things considered and I normally am not a fan of stealth but the level design actually makes it work.

Aeon

Dandy Guy, in Space
Finally getting around to playing the rest of Elden Ring, I've been on and off with this one, not because I'm having any trouble enjoying it (the polar opposite in fact) but rather I wanted it to last because it is such a good game; well deserving of this year's game of the year award, unless God of War Ragnarok winds up being better (I've not played it just yet) but it's got a herculean battle for any chance of being better than Elden Ring.

Eternal chibi

Dandy Guy, in Space
Finally getting around to playing the rest of Elden Ring, I've been on and off with this one, not because I'm having any trouble enjoying it (the polar opposite in fact) but rather I wanted it to last because it is such a good game; well deserving of this year's game of the year award, unless God of War Ragnarok winds up being better (I've not played it just yet) but it's got a herculean battle for any chance of being better than Elden Ring.
Correct choice to make it last longer. This is a game that is best enjoyed at it's own pace.

I already beat the final boss with a best friend (who initially introduced me to Souls series) and that is a memory that will stick with me. my jedi master taught me, and now i have my own apprentice, we all have really good times on this game, it is something special for sure.

Aeon

Dandy Guy, in Space
Correct choice to make it last longer. This is a game that is best enjoyed at it's own pace.

I already beat the final boss with a best friend (who initially introduced me to Souls series) and that is a memory that will stick with me. my jedi master taught me, and now i have my own apprentice, we all have really good times on this game, it is something special for sure.
It is a really good game; I'm currently up to the Fire Giant though I read that a point of no return happens afterwards so I've been doing Ranni's quest, alongside some other side content, before continuing just in case.

Eternal chibi

Dandy Guy, in Space
It is a really good game; I'm currently up to the Fire Giant though I read that a point of no return happens afterwards so I've been doing Ranni's quest, alongside some other side content, before continuing just in case.
correct choice, and you still have many decisions open to you

Aeon

Dandy Guy, in Space
correct choice, and you still have many decisions open to you
It just amazes me that they were able to keep the top tier level design of the Dark Souls series while also going open world; in fact I don't think I have seen another open world game keep it's focus on level design like Elden Ring does.

Eternal chibi

Dandy Guy, in Space
It just amazes me that they were able to keep the top tier level design of the Dark Souls series while also going open world; in fact I don't think I have seen another open world game keep it's focus on level design like Elden Ring does.
Miyazaki et al. have been working on these ideas since the 90s, This team knows their formula, they are focused and they have perfected it over the course of decades. Built by fans for fans.

Aeon

Dandy Guy, in Space
Miyazaki et al. have been working on these ideas since the 90s, This team knows their formula, they are focused and they have perfected it over the course of decades. Built by fans for fans.
All in all it is a rock solid formula, ever since Kings Field, From Software have been doing things differently from other JRPG's but it goes to show that sometimes the key to success is to not chase after trends but instead make them, knowing full well they may not take off for quite a while, but in the long run it can pay off; which is precisely what happened with Dark Souls.

João Gomes

Thousand Master
Elden Ring was magical, enjoy. I need to replay it eventually. Maybe when the DLC hits.

As for me, I've finished The Callisto Protocol - frustratingly linear (is this because of Schofield's time making call of duty...?) with no horror to speak of, I understand the mixed reception.

The story is very light but this could be the kind of game to benefit immensely from a sequel. Graphics are pristine, but that's obvious.

The gameplay is punchy but the overall game design leaves a bit to be desired. A sequel needs more open areas, mood to go with the gore, silence (there's always sound, even if ambient - silence can do wonders for horror), better enemy variety and design... It needs to be less in your face all the time. It becomes predictable.

Hope they'll be able to make a second game.

For a better horror experience, everyone needs to play Signalis! Bonus points because Evangelion is a major visual influence. Great game.

Aeon

Dandy Guy, in Space
After around 4 hours of suffering I finally beat Malenia on Elden ring, I must be a glutton for punishment because that boss was brutal.

RadFemHedonist

Dragon Knight
Replayed a little bit of Bastion the other day as I'm pretty attached to that game and it's OST - I'm pretty bad at it so I play in the easy/can't die mode but it's a beautiful game with an interesting story etc. :)

DragoStark

Finally finished Judgement on the PS4 last night. Really enjoyed it. Another solid RGG game. I unintentionally made it execptionally difficult for myself by not taking enough healing with me into the final stretch. Fighting the final boss with only the 1 health bar meant time for cheese strats.
Still got lots of things to muck around with in the premium adventure but for now, I want to play a different game, so I nabbed God of War and started that up. It's a modern classic that I needed to get round to at some point!

RaeDra

Great Teacher
Finished it a little earlier in the month, but have completed Soul Hackers 2. Having only really played Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers in the broader series, this was more streamlined by comparison (SH1 is a game from the 90s in fairness). Still, while not much of a challenge on the default difficulty, as most situations were just figuring out whatever the boss gimmick is and occasionally getting caught out and thats about it, I still liked the game overall and many of the things its doing in the combat make sense and seems like a pretty good, if more newcomer friendly, combat system (you can absolutely create situations where you have take no damage on characters depending on the boss if you build towards it), but its the party characters and the engaging dynamics between them (with some fun performances, I am a fan of Erica Lindbeck's Milady and Griffin Puatu's Saizo in particular) is what ultimately saves it from being just above average to me. Maybe skip the story dlc, it's not particularly good and of questionable value.

Oh, and I took a break for a bit, at some point last month they patched the game and added running as a toggle and that saved A Lot of time, to the point I cannot imagine not having it (especially for the soul matrix stuff towards the end, that would be very slow without it). The admittedly pretty repetitive dungeon design really doesn't help in that regard.

There's a lot more of this series of games I need to play more of them at some point, having tried and failed a few times to commit to playing any of the Persona games, those new ports are on the way though soon, so maybe around then... but not at the moment.

João Gomes

Thousand Master
God of War was such an incredible surprise in how much game there actually is - how much substance. It is extremely good, enjoy!

I loved Judgment and its sequel, Yagami is such a great protagonist that makes every cutscene a delight. Reminds me of Geralt and how much his presence/writing enhances the game.

@RaeDra I'm just waiting for the right price to jump on Soul Hackers 2. My expectations regarding this particular game have been adjusted so I think I'll be able to enjoy it just fine.

If you can, try Digital Devil Saga on the PS2 - they're in the top tier of games the series has to offer. I loved IV on the 3DS as well. Funny enough Soul Hackers 3DS was one of the few I didn't really manage to play through. Tokyo Mirage Sessions also, but I'll get back to that one and SMT V.

I think my top 3 would be
1 - Digital Devil Saga 1/2
2 - Persona 4 or 5
3 - SMT 3 or 4

I have the Devil Survivor games on 3DS but I haven't played them (yet, let's hope). Love Shin Megaten to death

Aeon

Dandy Guy, in Space
The funny thing about God of War was how it looked from the early reveal like it was just trying to rip off The Last of Us (a game that I simply think is ok) only for it to actually turn out to be one of the best games in the series.

DragoStark

I've really been enjoying God of War on the PS4 but it's leaving me mighty curious about Kratos' past. I know it's violent, and he's not a good man to say the least but the original games are set in Greece and all about Greek Mythology so I had to have a look. I watched a few vids of a Lets Play of the original game but it looked like too much fun to not play myself, so I looked into a way to play it and against my better judgement of starting yet another game when I'm already currently playing 3 (Yakuza 5 (idolmaster), God of War (2018) and Stray) I loaded it up and started the original God of War too 😂
I think I'll get round to 2 & 3 at some point as well. This game holds up really well being a PS2 game. Enjoying it immensely so far.