What Games Are You Playing?

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Off the back of replaying The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time I’m now replaying my personal favourite game in The Legend of Zelda Majora’s Mask, as it just launched on NSO today.

NormanicGrav

Grav's End Harem
AUKN Staff
Another month, another batch of games.

Game: 04 - JUMP FORCE (PlayStation 4)
Acquired: January 2022

Due to licensing, Bandai Namco delisted JUMP FORCE from digital platforms but I managed to get the game a month prior, and also acquired the DLC packs at the worst possible time (I was going to get them when they went on offer, but either my timing was wrong or they reverted back to normal price earlier than planned).

Anywho, after releasing J-Stars Victory Vs. on PlayStation 3, Bandai Namco made another crossover game in the franchise with JUMP FORCE which is streamlined and a sort of downgrade in various areas from its predecessor. Rather than having two characters and an assist vs another two characters and an assist in a large area, the game is now 1 vs 1 with the option to swap with two other characters like Marvel vs Capcom in a smaller fighting arena.

The gameplay is actually pretty fun and I do enjoy the combat that has to offer. The problem for hardcore gamers is that it's very basic and not as complex as other fighting games. In addition, the game runs at 1080p 30fps which even on PS5 via PS4 Pro, the game has no improvements other than loading times probably being better even though it's ridiculous and tedious that those loading times happen every single time. The difficulty of the fights is there, but it's basically a case of they take less damage, and from the looks of it if you want to level up your abilities you'll need to grind a lot and maybe play online, but I was able to manage without issue and got to Level 51 when I finished the final boss of the story.

The character roster has some interesting inclusions new to this game compared to J-Stars Victory Vs, with classic characters like Dai (Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai), Yugi & Kaiba (Yu-Gi-Oh!) and Ryo Saeba (City Hunter) all the way to newer IPs like Boruto (Boruto), Asta (Black Clover) and Deku, All Might, Kacchan & Shoto (My Hero Academia). Also Light & Ryuk are in the game but Ryuk is not voiced which makes their scenes so weird to watch.

In terms of character selection, it's alright but not as great as J-Stars Victory Vs. and while the DLC selection does help with Giorno Giovanna (JoJo: Golden Wind), Yoruichi Shihōin (Bleach) and Biscuit Krueger (Hunter x Hunter), there's not enough characters and voiced dialogue to make the game even better. Also the original character idea is pretty cool, but design-wise it looks out of place compared to the rest of the team.

The story is pretty basic and the cutscenes look good but the character movement is very under-budget which fits with Bandai Namco's track record. Speaking of which, if you don't have PlayStation Plus you won't be able to access a lot of the features in the game, even the PlayStation Store or the Notice Board which is ridiculous.

Overall, JUMP FORCE was a good time but it's a downgrade from J-Stars Victory Vs with its simplistic gameplay, reduced roster and limited features due to the online focus. I do think it's worth checking out regardless because it can be a fun time, but only when its cheap and considering it's out of print now you'll have to make a decision sooner than later.

Game: 05 - Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul (PlayStation 4)
Acquired: July 2020

After finishing Jump Force, I decided to check out the Saint Seiya game that I picked up a few years ago. Soldiers' Soul is an updated version of Bandai Namco's previous game Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers which basically revamps a lot of the game and improved upon it.

The story covers four major story arcs from the manga & anime; Sanctuary, Asgard, Poseidon and Hades. Each have a stage that offers 1-3 boss fights each time, sometimes with different characters or an option to choose from a selection. This is a fighting game and the combat is really interesting because you can't just spam your basic attacks as the opponent can block or mess you up really fast. The trick is basically dodge, shield and attack when the moment is right so that you can proceed to the next stage. If you get KO'd Athena will appear and ask you to button mash X so that you can get back up, or you can simply get the game over screen and retry the battle without having to start from the beginning of the stage.

During combat you can reach a special zone where you'll then be able to unleash a special attack which is really handy as it can knock out a bunch of HP from your opponent. In addition you can also use regular special moves which helps but you will want to time it right as the opponent can dodge or block them, and the same is also for the special attack which you can also do to them so it's well balanced.

The story took about 8-10 hours to finish and the cutscenes are in 3D which look really nice. The story itself is also interesting and is very shonen considering this is a Shonen Jump franchise after all. But I did avoid paying attention to a lot of the plot points as I plan to watch the anime in the future.

Overall Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul is a pretty solid fighting game and worth checking out, but it is quite hard-to-find in physical format so I suggest you get it digitally instead as it'll go on sale for a cheaper price.

Game: 06 - Code Vein (PlayStation 4)
Acquired: December 2020

Despite playing a bit of Dark Souls and Nioh years ago, Code Vein is actually my first Souls-type game that I officially own and Bandai Namco did a pretty solid job with this.

Code Vein is a challenging game but it's not as big as the FROM SOFTWARE titles as you do have a few perks that benefit you on your journey. For instance, you have a second character that can tag along with you all the way and its more fast-paced like Bloodborne than the slower one-man-army approach of the others. The difficulty is there, but you can get through most of the game if you manage to level up your equipment and clothes beforehand.

Code Vein provides a whole bunch of options like different weapon types, blood codes that offer extra abilities and you can also use items to regenerate your health, add buffers etc. When you lose your health, your AI partner (or second player if you're playing online) can offer you their health to save you. That said when you die completely, it's just like the Souls franchise where you respawn back to a mini-rest area and you have to go back to where you died to recover the EXP you earned otherwise it'll be gone permanently if you die beforehand. The EXP can be used to level up and acquire more Gifts which are the extra abilities you receive from interacting with other characters in the game.

The story is interesting and while some parts are left unexplained, there was a really interesting twist to the lore that has me curious for the future of the franchise. The characters are well done and the Vestige segments, which allow you to view the memories of other people, adds more context to their motivations. I do think the Vestige moments are slow and dragged out but they do add to the development of the characters. Vestiges are also crucial to unlocking the true ending of the game.

I spent 31 hours in total and managed to finish the game at Level 160, with all of the depth mini-dungeons explored, all vestiges acquired, all mini-save points found and got the best two-handed weapon possible. The final true-boss is an absolute pain and you have to turn off the camera's lock-on to actually tolerate it because it gets you killed easily.

Now while this game isn't as challenging as the Souls franchise, I do think Code Vein is a solid newcomer friendly game for the genre and worth playing. The character customisation is also really detailed. The game is pretty much available on all platforms, and as I played it on PS5 I was able to make use of the PS4 Pro version which adds a better resolution to go with the 60fps gameplay.

My backlog so far:
#​
PC/Steam Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the SkyTurn-Based RPG
2​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SCTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation 3 Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
3D Dot Game HeroesAction RPG
2​
Castlevania: Lords of ShadowAction, Hack n Slash
3​
CatherinePuzzle
4​
Drakengard 3Action RPG
5​
Eternal SonataTurn-Based RPG
6​
FolkloreAction RPG
7​
inFAMOUSAction
8​
inFAMOUS 2Action
9​
Katamari ForeverPuzzle
10​
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White WitchTurn-Based RPG
11​
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time HDAction, Hack n Slash
12​
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones HDAction, Hack n Slash
13​
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HDAction, Hack n Slash
14​
PuppeteerPlatformer
15​
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 OneAction, Platformer
16​
Ratchet & Clank: QForceAction, Platformer
17​
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles HDOn-Rails Shooter
18​
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles HDOn-Rails Shooter
19​
Sly Cooper: Thieves in TimeAction, Platformer
20​
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the OverlordTactical RPG, Visual Novel
21​
Way of the Samurai 4Action
#​
PlayStation 4 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
13 Sentinels: Aegis RimTactical RPG, Visual Novel
2​
AI: The Somnium FilesAdventure, Visual Novel
3​
Black Clover: Quartet KnightsAction, Fighting
4​
Bullet Girls PhantasiaAction, Shooter
5​
The Caligula Effect: OverdoseTurn-Based RPG
6​
Chaos;ChildVisual Novel
7​
Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve StarsTurn-Based RPG
8​
Cyberdimension Neptunia: Four Goddesses OnlineAction RPG
9​
Danganronpa 1 ReloadVisual Novel
10​
Danganronpa 2 ReloadVisual Novel
11​
Danganronpa V3: Killing HarmonyVisual Novel
12​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 1: Rinne UtopiaVisual Novel, Dating Sim
13​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 2: Ars InstallVisual Novel, Dating Sim
14​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 3: Twin Edition: Rio ReincarnationVisual Novel, Dating Sim
15​
Death MarkVisual Novel
16​
Dragon's Crown ProAction RPG
17​
Fate/Extella LinkMusou
18​
Final Fantasy VIII RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
19​
Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares WinTactical RPG
20​
Gal*Gun 2On-Rails Shooter
21​
Gintama RumbleAction, Musou
22​
Gravity Rush 2Action, Platformer
23​
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite CombateAction RPG
24​
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of HeavenFighting
25​
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of FujisawaPuzzle, Visual Novel
26​
LangrisserTactical RPG
27​
Langrisser IITactical RPG
28​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold SteelTurn-Based RPG
29​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IITurn-Based RPG
30​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IIITurn-Based RPG
31​
Megadimension Neptunia VIITurn-Based RPG
32​
Megadimension Neptunia VIIRTurn-Based RPG
33​
NGVisual Novel
34​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja StormAction, Fighting
35​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2Action, Fighting
36​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3Action, Fighting
37​
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant KingdomAction RPG
38​
Nights of AzureAction RPG
39​
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New MoonAction RPG
40​
One Piece Unlimited World RedAction
41​
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3Musou
42​
Onechanbara Z2: ChaosAction
43​
Our World Is EndedVisual Novel
44​
Persona 5 RoyalTurn-Based RPG
45​
Punch LineVisual Novel
46​
Raging LoopVisual Novel
47​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-: Prophecy of the ThroneVisual Novel
48​
Robotics;Notes DaSHVisual Novel
49​
Robotics;Notes ELITEVisual Novel
50​
School Girl / Zombie HunterAction, Shooter
51​
SD Gundam G Generation GenesisTactical RPG
52​
Secret of ManaAction RPG
53​
Sengoku Basara 4: SumeragiMusou
54​
Senran Kagura Burst Re:NewalAction
55​
Shining Resonance: RefrainAction RPG
56​
Sisters RoyaleShoot em up
57​
Steins;Gate EliteVisual Novel
58​
Steins;Gate: Linear Bound PhenogramVisual Novel
59​
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon DwellersTactical RPG
60​
Super Robot Wars TTactical RPG
61​
Super Robot Wars VTactical RPG
62​
Super Robot Wars XTactical RPG
63​
Sword Art Online: Fatal BulletAction RPG
64​
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Sessions!Music, Rhythm
65​
Tales of BerseriaAction RPG
66​
Tales of VesperiaAction RPG
67​
Tales of ZestiriaAction RPG
68​
Tokyo Xanadu eX+Action RPG
69​
Utawarerumono: Mask of DeceptionTactical RPG, Visual Novel
70​
Utawarerumono: Mask of TruthTactical RPG, Visual Novel
71​
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the FallenTactical RPG, Visual Novel
72​
Utawarerumono: ZanAction, Musou
73​
Valkyria Chronicles 4Tactical RPG
74​
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival EditionAction RPG
75​
WORLDEND SYNDROMEVisual Novel
76​
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this WorldVisual Novel
77​
Ys IX: Monstrum NoxAction RPG
#PlayStation 5 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
JudgmentAction, Beat em up
2​
Lost JudgmentAction, Beat em up
3​
Yakuza 7: Like a DragonTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation Vita Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Bullet GirlsAction, Shooter
2​
Demon GazeDungeon RPG
3​
Freedom WarsAction
4​
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black HeartTactical RPG
5​
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sister's GenerationTurn-Based RPG
6​
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V GenerationTurn-Based RPG
7​
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action UnleashedAction
8​
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS ZombiesAction, Musou
9​
Muv-LuvVisual Novel, Dating Sim
10​
Muv-Luv AlternativeVisual Novel
11​
Superdimension Neptune vs SEGA Hard GirlsTurn-Based RPG
12​
Valkyrie Drive BhikkhuniAction
52 Games Goal:
No.Game
Console​
Acquired​
Genre
1​
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
PS3​
2017​
Musou
2​
Toukiden 2
PS4​
2019​
Hunter RPG
3​
Fist of the Nort Star: Lost Paradise
PS4​
2019​
Action Beat em Up
4​
JUMP FORCE
PS4​
2022​
Fighting
5​
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul
PS4​
2020​
Fighting
6​
Code Vein
PS4​
2020​
Action Souls RPG

DragoStark

Student Council President
I've finished The Outer Worlds and got a pretty great outcome all things considered. It was fun, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next up was gonna be Yakuza 4 but I got Mass Effect Legendary Edition thanks to HumbleBundle so I'll probably start on ME1 at least (when I get the time to download 109GB first of course... oof)

Dai

Thousand Master
I've finished The Outer Worlds and got a pretty great outcome all things considered. It was fun, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next up was gonna be Yakuza 4 but I got Mass Effect Legendary Edition thanks to HumbleBundle so I'll probably start on ME1 at least (when I get the time to download 109GB first of course... oof)
I thought the Mass Effect remasters turned out pretty well, though I'm not a fan of the new lighting in ME1; it's not as atmospheric.

I finished ME2 for about the sixth time recently and was shocked when someone died in the suicide mission. I thought I'd remembered all the variables, but it turned out I'd forgotten one at the end. 😭 That mission never stops being tense, no matter how many times I play it.

DragoStark

Student Council President
Oh that's great to hear that the remasters are decent. I've never played the ME series before and I've had quite a few of my friends heavily recommend it to me. They think I'll love it so I'm excited to dive in!

Eternal chibi

Brigade Leader
Oh that's great to hear that the remasters are decent. I've never played the ME series before and I've had quite a few of my friends heavily recommend it to me. They think I'll love it so I'm excited to dive in!
I wish I had never played Mass Effect. I'm waiting for the right time to play legendary edition. For me, I need to let things settle before I replay/rewatch. Like I waited over 10 years to rewatch Death Note, and when I did, it was the best possible time. My point is, I hope you will love ME, because it is great.

I have been playing a lot of games.

I started playing Eve Online. It's fantastic. Not many things can match the thrill of buying something for a 10k isk, moving it 3 star systems and selling it for 15k.

I started playing Escape from Tarkov. If you really like guns, you have to play this game. I don't really like guns. But I do really like realistic sim games. Love walking down the street happy because I found a USB stick only to get shot from god knows where and die instantly.

My favourite moment in Tarkov was when someone killed me, saw my level and took pity. Added me as a friend and then returned my stolen gear with added upgrades and told me why I shouldn't wear that helmet because it blocks my hearing. God bless.

I have been playing Elden Ring. It's Dark Souls, it's open world, it's huge and it's amazing. Everywhere, there is a dog.

I have been playing CoD Vanguard. Noobs tremble before me.

I have been playing AoE 2 definitive. I discovered t90 on youtube, pro level AoE gaming. I really love watching these games whilst I am working. Some really funny moments, someone accidentally kills a boar under their town centre after 3 minutes and then immediately resigns the game. Exploding kings also.

I have been playing Total War Warhammer 3. Many people have quit the campaign after facing me in battle.

I have just started playing Gran Turismo 7. The most exciting part is modding toyota aqua to get 7 additional bhp in order to crash into rivals.

João Gomes

Vampire Ninja
Yeah, flame of frenzy 🔥 Love the world in this game, I just want to see more and more and more of it. The underground stuff is mindblowing at times.

D1tchd1gger

Akatsuki
Yeah, flame of frenzy 🔥 Love the world in this game, I just want to see more and more and more of it. The underground stuff is mindblowing at times.
Yeah even though I'm on the PS4 it's still very pretty. I like the new trap chests I opened one and was sent to the other end of the map into what looks like a big citadel. But thank god for quick travel because it puts you on a wide parapet with a massive hole one end (seems to be a lift for you to get there the normal way, but the lever doesn't work) and a massive boss the other way!

João Gomes

Vampire Ninja
Yeah even though I'm on the PS4 it's still very pretty. I like the new trap chests I opened one and was sent to the other end of the map into what looks like a big citadel. But thank god for quick travel because it puts you on a wide parapet with a massive hole one end (seems to be a lift for you to get there the normal way, but the lever doesn't work) and a massive boss the other way!
It's artistically brilliant. The use of color and the variety in all aspects of its design are truly grand and I have no doubt it shines even on PS4.

I also had an episode of the sort but more of my own making, just out and about with Torrent and I end up in a very wrong looking part of the map... The first thing I happen to attack takes a really minuscule sliver of damage, telling me I had no business being there yet.

I think about the game often when I'm not playing, it's a great feeling to want to get back into it as much as possible! So many bosses...

D1tchd1gger

Akatsuki
So many bosses...
Yeah. I've found a load and left well alone for now apart from one (a weird cat/dog thing with a sword) which took a few goes. The thing about the open nature is it's hard to tell what level you should be unlike the other SoulsBourne games where you meet a boss and either beat it or lose and go away to grind a bit before trying again.
I've found a spell seller and a cool looking weapon, but I can't wield it yet, so I'm just running around finding lost graces and dungeons and grinding a bit so I can get my attributes to the right level so I can. Torrent is so good for just sprinting right past any trouble in harder areas.

Gemsy-chan

Soul Reaper
Been playing the Stranger of Paradise demo, glad there was a demo as it’s highly likely that I won’t buy this game (shame as I like Final Fantasy).

I’m not a fan of the game play and it doesn’t help that the main character is thoroughly unlikeable.

João Gomes

Vampire Ninja
Finally got into Stormveil Castle in Elden Ring. Only played the 35 odd hours!

Damn dude, where have you been?! I'm at 40 and have seen so much already - probably the best open world in a game together with Shadow of the Colossus and Arkham City. But this is even better, I just want to see and do it all, it's increeeedible.

D1tchd1gger

Akatsuki
Damn dude, where have you been?!
I've explored the entire opening area, the island to the South and the land to the East, which is still a terrifying area. I've beaten a lot of the "bosses" in those first two areas including all the fake invasion characters. So a lot of wondering around and grinding and going back to places to beat the "bosses".
I'm glad there's lots of things that play into the role playing of the character I picked I'm picked a Draconian and went with Confessor class for a warrior mage build that deals fire damage and there's lots of fire dealing incantations including breathing dragon fire that I picked up from the Dragon Communion place after killing a massive sleeping dragon as the dragons guarding it were stuck on the other side of it!

João Gomes

Vampire Ninja
I've explored the entire opening area, the island to the South and the land to the East, which is still a terrifying area. I've beaten a lot of the "bosses" in those first two areas including all the fake invasion characters. So a lot of wondering around and grinding and going back to places to beat the "bosses".
I'm glad there's lots of things that play into the role playing of the character I picked I'm picked a Draconian and went with Confessor class for a warrior mage build that deals fire damage and there's lots of fire dealing incantations including breathing dragon fire that I picked up from the Dragon Communion place after killing a massive sleeping dragon as the dragons guarding it were stuck on the other side of it!

Yeah, I love how Caelid is clearly designed to make you feel dread and be as inhospitable as possible. The music is eerie as hell.

Oh, you're dabbling in communion then? I actually came across an item description the other day alluding to what befalls those such as you.....

I wish I could stick to role-playing - I always have the best intentions to play as varied a character as possible but always devolve into a str character sigh

D1tchd1gger

Akatsuki
It's the character I'm trying to play as in my current Skyrim play through, but I occasionally revert back to the stealth sniper role when it gets hard (I did up the difficulty level this time) and whilst a stealth element has been added I don't think you can go around one-shoting everything in Elden Ring like you can quite quickly in Skyrim.

João Gomes

Vampire Ninja
You definitely can't but I was successful in dispatching all save for 1 enemy in the first enemy camp stealthily! I haven't tried to do the same ever since, but action is better in this game, anyway.

Getting a real craving for Sekiro again

D1tchd1gger

Akatsuki
Ha, just noticed something in Stormveil Castle. My full set of runes weren't being returned to me when I picked them up! Turns out that the guy who meets you at the gate and tells you to go around the outside nicks some of them when you die! Apparently he follows you and if you back track you might spot him. I never did, but killed him and got 14k back! Amazing attention to detail and atmosphere building, plus community detective work.

João Gomes

Vampire Ninja
Holy hell, I knew about him taking a cut of runes but I didn't know about being able to spot him, that's so cooool. Love those bits of story and world building.

The main boss in Caelid also has an amazing bit of story/character revealed in equipment related to them.

This thing has already sold 12 million copies!