What does make a TRUE Otaku?

Gemma1412

Kiznaiver
Erm... Now i wouldn't consider myself an Otaku, though i own over 300 manga, watched over 50 series and been to Japan. I still consider myself to be normal. Otaku in Japan is actually used in disgust. Though for some reason in Western countries, it's become some kind of positive status symbol of being 'more nerdier than thou'
The same with, yes those wapanese/weeaboo's (whatever you want to call them) Who will intergrate japanese into their sentences and then explain what it means afterwards to show their knowledges !!!1

"Domo Arigatou Gozaimasu~ That means Thank you very much in Japanese ^__^"

Otaku are quite pitiful to be honest, in the Japanese context i suppose. They're often seen carrying those creepy long pillows with anime characters, used for something to sleep with at night. They are so deeply submerged in anime culture that they are delusional and generally are the scum at the bottom of the barrel. Don't work, don't leave their room, don't socialise.

They're also the creators of Zettai Ryoiki, translated as Absolute Territory - the section of skin between thigh high socks and skirt. You starting to see my point?

This is, of course, a stereotype.
 

chaos

The Boss
Gemma1412 said:
...Otaku are quite pitiful to be honest, in the Japanese context i suppose. They're often seen carrying those creepy long pillows with anime characters, used for something to sleep with at night. They are so deeply submerged in anime culture that they are delusional and generally are the scum at the bottom of the barrel. Don't work, don't leave their room, don't socialise.

They're also the creators of Zettai Ryoiki, translated as Absolute Territory - the section of skin between thigh high socks and skirt. You starting to see my point? ...
Wondering if all Otakus are hikikomoris (sic?) based on your description.

On the western context, otaku is used to identify a different kind of geek... the one infatuated with anime / manga / Japanese culture.
It's the typical case of "same word + dfferent culture = different meaning".
 

arthur_webb

Adventurer
chaos said:
Rui said:
Why is it people who say "weeaboo" also never know how to use apostrophes for plurals (don't)?...
I don't think I know how to use apostrophes for plurals properly.. :(

Rui, I usually agree with everything that you say.

But! Apostrophes do not denote plurality. "CD's" is wrong, wrong, wrong! Apostrophes are used to indicate possession by a noun: "The dog's CDs."

As for the topic at hand, I view otaku-ism as being a bit of a trophy of honour. Whilst I joke about myself being an otaku, I don't think that I truly qualify. I mean, some of these anime-obsessives really are something!
 

cardybean

Student Council President
Sorry to jump right in the convo', but tbh (to those who said this) I don't think an Otaku should be defined too heavily on how merchandise they own. What if someone spends all of their time playing games, watching anime and reading manga through piracy? Does that really deem them to not be an Otaku? I wouldn't say so.

But then again, I'm not an Otaku expect, so correct me if I'm wrong.
 

Wildcard

Thousand Master
How 'Otaku' someone is, is completely subjective. Frankly I can't stand all this 'true Otaku' thing since it reeks of elitism. Makes it sound like some sort of competition when it's simply a matter of shared interests.
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
adamcube: I know, that's what I meant ;)

cardybean said:
Sorry to jump right in the convo', but tbh (to those who said this) I don't think an Otaku should be defined too heavily on how merchandise they own. What if someone spends all of their time playing games, watching anime and reading manga through piracy? Does that really deem them to not be an Otaku?

Personally, I wouldn't even call such a person a fan, if they don't ever try supporting the industry that gives them their entertainment. They can know a lot and see a lot, and certainly I could call them a consumer, watcher, gamer or reader. But I don't think they can really be getting into the whole mania of it all if they don't even care enough about it to part with a penny or spend more each year in McDonalds than on their hobby. My opinion and not one I'm going to change so easily after all this time.

I don't think otakuism is particularly elite - or why someone would particularly want to be classed as one. It just sort of happens if you let it take over your life to this degree.

R
 

cardybean

Student Council President
Rui said:
cardybean said:
Sorry to jump right in the convo', but tbh (to those who said this) I don't think an Otaku should be defined too heavily on how merchandise they own. What if someone spends all of their time playing games, watching anime and reading manga through piracy? Does that really deem them to not be an Otaku?

Personally, I wouldn't even call such a person a fan, if they don't ever try supporting the industry that gives them their entertainment. They can know a lot and see a lot, and certainly I could call them a consumer, watcher, gamer or reader. But I don't think they can really be getting into the whole mania of it all if they don't even care enough about it to part with a penny or spend more each year in McDonalds than on their hobby. My opinion and not one I'm going to change so easily after all this time.

I don't think otakuism is particularly elite - or why someone would particularly want to be classed as one. It just sort of happens if you let it take over your life to this degree.

R

That's an understandable opinion, however, to take away the fact that they're a fan is quite silly, considering they wouldn't be spending their time watching/playing/reading if it didn't interest them. But all I'm saying, when trying to define Otaku -- which is what the topic is about -- I think the amount of time one spends doing a certain thing plays a big part it in. Therefore the way they go about this shouldn't matter.
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
cardybean said:
That's an understandable opinion, however, to take away the fact that they're a fan is quite silly, considering they wouldn't be spending their time watching/playing/reading if it didn't interest them. But all I'm saying, when trying to define Otaku -- which is what the topic is about -- I think the amount of time one spends doing a certain thing plays a big part it in. Therefore the way they go about this shouldn't matter.

Well, I see the concept of a fan as somewhat similar to a supporter (as in sports fans), so that's where I'm coming from. As I see it if you really love something, you want more of it being made and for the people who brought it to be appreciated. You can be a hardcore watcher or gamer but to be an actual fan, let alone a nerdy otaku, you have to give a crap about it, frankly. I don't see how leechers do that even if they "invest" all of their free time using it.

To help me see it from your side, why is it that you don't find your completely absorbing hobby has even a penny's worth to you? That seems a little weird, honestly. If you spend all your time doing a thing and don't actually participate in supporting it, what *is* worth that much to you?

R
 

Gemma1412

Kiznaiver
chaos said:
Gemma1412 said:
...Otaku are quite pitiful to be honest, in the Japanese context i suppose. They're often seen carrying those creepy long pillows with anime characters, used for something to sleep with at night. They are so deeply submerged in anime culture that they are delusional and generally are the scum at the bottom of the barrel. Don't work, don't leave their room, don't socialise.

They're also the creators of Zettai Ryoiki, translated as Absolute Territory - the section of skin between thigh high socks and skirt. You starting to see my point? ...
Wondering if all Otakus are hikikomoris (sic?) based on your description.

It's possible. Just looked it up. I suppose there are two types... those who isolate themselves completely and those, who in their isolation, find solace in the form of figurines and creepy long pillows with anime characters printed on... I suppose Otaku are a little bit of Hikikomori too.
 

Gemma1412

Kiznaiver
cardybean said:
Sorry to jump right in the convo', but tbh (to those who said this) I don't think an Otaku should be defined too heavily on how merchandise they own. What if someone spends all of their time playing games, watching anime and reading manga through piracy? Does that really deem them to not be an Otaku? I wouldn't say so.

But then again, I'm not an Otaku expect, so correct me if I'm wrong.

It's really not down to merchandise, but i, for someone to be considered an Otaku they'd have to at least own certain types of merchandise. Like the figurines, i feel as if that's a higher level of fan. That and like artbooks. Simply owning the series doesn't really do it for me. On the other hand... owning the series and then owning the original language series as well would be something towards it. Otaku is obsession, complete devotion. Like that picture adamcube posted... now that's Otaku.
 

Maltos

Stand User
Wildcard said:
How 'Otaku' someone is, is completely subjective. Frankly I can't stand all this 'true Otaku' thing since it reeks of elitism. Makes it sound like some sort of competition when it's simply a matter of shared interests.
Thats all too true.
 

Mollfie

Brigade Leader
Maltos said:
Wildcard said:
How 'Otaku' someone is, is completely subjective. Frankly I can't stand all this 'true Otaku' thing since it reeks of elitism. Makes it sound like some sort of competition when it's simply a matter of shared interests.
Thats all too true.

True, but I dont think people are necessarily being "elitist", I for one take it all in good humor ^_^

Surely it's a bad thing to be viewed as a hardcore, obsessive, addict who would rather stay home with their collection than venture out into the real world? Why would you want to be labeled as anything like that?

BUT everyones view is different of course. In Japan Otaku means an obsessive nerdy person. Outside of Japan its often used to refer to anyone who is an Anime/Manga fan.
 

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
I think the elitist status comes from more the "true" side of things. I've said it before to people over like... other franchises. People who think they are "true" fans by ignoring what they think is wrong and only following what they think is canon in their heads and because of it, they say call themselves true fans or something.

Its more funny than anything, though.
 

Mollfie

Brigade Leader
Jayme said:
I think the elitist status comes from more the "true" side of things. I've said it before to people over like... other franchises. People who think they are "true" fans by ignoring what they think is wrong and only following what they think is canon in their heads and because of it, they say call themselves true fans or something.

Its more funny than anything, though.

Yeah, that is annoying >.<
 

Maltos

Stand User
It's just the sort of thing i try to ignore really. I buy stuff because i like it. Not because i want to be the ultimate otaku master of anime. If i really cared what other people thought i would've stopped buying Naruto a long time ago.
 

chaos

The Boss
adamcube said:
chaos said:
Rui said:
Why is it people who say "weeaboo" also never know how to use apostrophes for plurals (don't)?...
I don't think I know how to use apostrophes for plurals properly.. :(

Rui, I usually agree with everything that you say.

But! Apostrophes do not denote plurality. "CD's" is wrong, wrong, wrong! Apostrophes are used to indicate possession by a noun: "The dog's CDs."
Thanks, now I know how to use apostophes. QQ - what about words that ends with an "s" ? is it ok to use the apostrophies for plurals? ie: Charles's bike or Charles' bike? or neither....
 

ayase

State Alchemist
chaos said:
adamcube said:
chaos said:
Rui said:
Why is it people who say "weeaboo" also never know how to use apostrophes for plurals (don't)?...
I don't think I know how to use apostrophes for plurals properly.. :(

Rui, I usually agree with everything that you say.

But! Apostrophes do not denote plurality. "CD's" is wrong, wrong, wrong! Apostrophes are used to indicate possession by a noun: "The dog's CDs."
Thanks, now I know how to use apostophes. QQ - what about words that ends with an "s" ? is it ok to use the apostrophies for plurals? ie: Charles's bike or Charles' bike? or neither....

You can do either. One is an old-fashioned way of doing it and one more modern. I don't know which is which.
 

Mollfie

Brigade Leader
ayase said:
chaos said:
adamcube said:
chaos said:
Rui said:
Why is it people who say "weeaboo" also never know how to use apostrophes for plurals (don't)?...
I don't think I know how to use apostrophes for plurals properly.. :(

Rui, I usually agree with everything that you say.

But! Apostrophes do not denote plurality. "CD's" is wrong, wrong, wrong! Apostrophes are used to indicate possession by a noun: "The dog's CDs."
Thanks, now I know how to use apostophes. QQ - what about words that ends with an "s" ? is it ok to use the apostrophies for plurals? ie: Charles's bike or Charles' bike? or neither....

You can do either. One is an old-fashioned way of doing it and one more modern. I don't know which is which.

I do Charles' cos otherwise there are just too many s' close together and it looks ugly >.<

Also don't forget you use apostrophes when you've cut off a bit of word, such as don't (do not) or there's (there is) or we're (we are)
 

chaos

The Boss
Mollfie said:
ayase said:
chaos said:
adamcube said:
chaos said:
Rui said:
Why is it people who say "weeaboo" also never know how to use apostrophes for plurals (don't)?...
I don't think I know how to use apostrophes for plurals properly.. :(

Rui, I usually agree with everything that you say.

But! Apostrophes do not denote plurality. "CD's" is wrong, wrong, wrong! Apostrophes are used to indicate possession by a noun: "The dog's CDs."
Thanks, now I know how to use apostophes. QQ - what about words that ends with an "s" ? is it ok to use the apostrophies for plurals? ie: Charles's bike or Charles' bike? or neither....

You can do either. One is an old-fashioned way of doing it and one more modern. I don't know which is which.

I do Charles' cos otherwise there are just too many s' close together and it looks ugly >.<

Also don't forget you use apostrophes when you've cut off a bit of word, such as don't (do not) or there's (there is) or we're (we are)
Thanks. The cutting off rule were known to be, but not the "CD's" being wrong. In portuguese it's very rare to have a word not ending in a vowel, so that sort of created a bit of confusion in my head.

Anyway, back on topic. the "true" is used as an elitism in my opinion. But why some people saw a need for that? Because some people really becomes obsessed with a show / series / whatever and they feel like only people who feels the same about that given obsession are worthy of being called a "true fan".

I did took the original post light heartedly.
 
Top