What does make a TRUE Otaku?

xxXXmoomooXXxx

School Idol
I've seen thorugh out the web where people moan about what's an Otaku.

I think it's just some one which has seen a many different types of anime and got over five mangas, you play video games and you bedroom is some what japanese like XD . Your parents think your weird and nerdy (or something like that) and you've seen illegal fansubs atleast 10 times. You make amvs and have online debates over anime and stuff. You have atleast anime DVD's even if it's a only a couple

What do you think? I think I'm an otaku but I've seen like 20+ animes ^_^ .

A bunch of people are going to jump in shortly and proclaim that being otaku is a bad thing and not cool at all. And they'll carefully say they're not an otaku themselves despite posting on an anime messageboard and running anime blogs etc.

On your list I don't think 5+ etc is so much an otaku as a fan :) I have seen 5+ Hollywood films and I don't really like Hollywood films much at all. Otaku I think would be more someone who would take a late night premiere showing of an anime over a date, or who spends hundreds regularly on his/her hobby without thinking about it. Or someone who pulls an all nighter to get the first edition of a game and it's not unusual. Most Japanese people have normal looking bedrooms. An otaku's looks more like a shop. But they don't only have a bedroom, they need a full flat or house to store their collection soon enough.

R, subtlely avoiding actually answering

You're kinda' right...I respect your views ^_^ I think being called an Otaku is positive. Mostely because I've never been part of a "social group" and I do annoy my family over anime.
I'm more of a young otaku so I can't buy much anime unless I get my sister to get it for me and I usually feel a bit of a baby when posting on forums....I have a long way to go to become the ultimate otaku!

I don't see what's wrong with being an Otaku. In my eyes, an otaku is someone who really enjoys what they love, in this case, Anime

An Otaku is no different to the people who want to walk every walk in the UK, or ride every Rollercoaster in the world, sure they seem obsessive to some, but they're just doing what they love the most.

Personally if my love of Japanese culture and anime makes me an Otaku, i'm more than happy to admit i'm one

Yeah if you're not hurting anyone else I don't see it being a problem. Far more fun way of life than going out and getting drunk each night anyway to me :)

R

One of my favourite thing about Otakus is that anime revolves around their lives, people who like anime usually enjoy other things more...but still are into anime.

When I hear "Otaku", I just think of general anime /manga fans. I really doubt there is one acccurate definition, so people make their own mind about what it minds... which can often lead to pointless hate ^^.

Whenever I hear it I generally think of weaboo's too be totally honest. People who think they are awesome because of a Japanese slur. Self-proclaimed ones are worse. I don't see it disappearing, either. Japanese words have become a foundation of a anime-fan now, with definitions that have derived from the original meanings.

I love you all.

Why is it people who say "weeaboo" also never know how to use apostrophes for plurals (don't)? It's just always bugged me.

R

It's nothing personal, just seems to be the case. Maybe some fashion thing over at that image board I don't like where these things seem to originate.

I just don't like being borderline insulted with bad English ;)

Though I don't think I'm awesome at all, and sigh when people moan about using the taboo word (otaku) without understanding the concept of self-deprecation.

R

Spyro201 said:
That explains it all.

And wasn't what I asked.

People who use those words are generally sheep who think that they can psychically tell how other people live and what colour their skin is over the internet. Because it matters.

R

Rui said:
Spyro201 said:
That explains it all.

And wasn't what I asked.

People who use those words are generally sheep who think that they can psychically tell how other people live and what colour their skin is over the internet. Because it matters.

R

Shees I read your post wrong, alright. Sorry for trying to help. I read it as "Why do people use the word weeaboo". :roll:

Labels are always used for a good reason. If you really think as you say about the people who use the words being sheep etc., then just ignore it, and dont let it bother you in the slightest. After all who gets het up over sheep?? "Weeaboo" is the easiest way to troll some people ever, thats also why its used.

And if you care, I always see the apostraphe as here>> Weeaboo's

I was typing a reply, Basically saying I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying what I said, Especially you lot on AUKN (I was mainly thinkin' of MAL Profiles and YouTube).

Then I realised I didn't care enough to post it. Yeah. I've discussed this word to death, so I cba anymore.

Personally I dislike the term, mainly because of the original connotations of it. It's meant as a pejorative, not a strong one, maybe on about the level of nerd. And that's basically what it is. It's all about the shut-in with no social skills, who can only barely function in normal society.

I even dislike saying I'm an anime fan, because the spectrum of anime is just so broad that it really does include a lot of unsavoury things, and some real, excuse my French, crap.

I do find it weird, however, that like the word geek there has been a slightly less successful attempt at reclaiming the word otaku to make it more pallatable. Personally I'd never use it, even in an affectionate way, but then again I'm not a fan of mangled out-of context japanese that is used (by some, I'm certainly not saying the majority) as a weird form of elitism..but that's just me.

Geek and nerd confuse me because when I was growing up and in school they were definitely rather harsh put downs. But now they are a badge of pride (geek, at least, very much so). I can't work out if it's the word meanings which have changed or just my age/peers.

Neither quite maps to the word otaku perfectly which is I think why people use it here - closer I'd say would be "maniac" but that word seems to be less used in English these days in the context I'm meaning. It's also a pejorative but can be used in a self-deprecating way to make light of one's obsession.

R

Back