Watching DVD R1 on the computer

bakum4tsu

Pokémon Master
Hi there

Does anyone plays R1 DVD's on the computer? The reason is I only have 2 hdmi's on the tv and 1 is por ps3 and the other is for xbox360 and since i dont wanna to be swapping around hdmi's everytime i need the unlocked dvd for the R1 dvd's, I was wondering if anyone knows a software that enables the drive to play them with no region restrictions.

I use VLC player, it ignores region restrictions on DVDs (but not BluRays if I remember correctly). I've used it to watch R1 and R4 DVDs on my laptop since I don't have a region free Bluray player.

As for having too many HDMI cables, search places like Amazon for a 3 port HDMI switch. It lets you plug three HDMIs into one port on your tv. I have one with the Xbox360, PS3, and the laptops HDMI cables plugged into one port on the tv, with the BluRay player plugged into the other port on the tv. If you buy one then get the cheapest one you can find, it should work just as well as the expensive ones.

I have tried VLC but i dont think it worked for some reason... Need to try again.

Regarding the hdmi switch, does it not lose video quality?

I switched to Region 1 on my laptop and I mainly use PowerDVD for Blu-ray reasons (disc interface like trailers is fun to watch when it comes to Funi discs).

As I mentioned before in a previous discussion, VLC is region free but if you're disc drive is region locked then VLC will only play that specific region (unless the disc has region 0 or a combined region set like 1, 2, 4 or 2, 4, 5).

I use the program DVDFabPasskey to get round region coding usually. It's the successor to DVDRegion+CSSFree which I used in the 00s. I have a Matshita/Panasonic DVD drive though, so I had to do a firmware flash to remove the region lock on it.

Ath said:
I use the program DVDFabPasskey to get round region coding usually. It's the successor to DVDRegion+CSSFree which I used in the 00s. I have a Matshita/Panasonic DVD drive though, so I had to do a firmware flash to remove the region lock on it.

Its working with DVDFab thanks! Though the quality isnt as good as in the dvd player, i just tested both and compared. In the computer you see a bit interlaced which sucks but its almost just for the old anime actually. Thanks again :D

bakum4tsu said:
Its working with DVDFab thanks! Though the quality isnt as good as in the dvd player, i just tested both and compared. In the computer you see a bit interlaced which sucks but its almost just for the old anime actually. Thanks again :D
All good video players have a deinterlace option if you look around.
with VLC I think it's Video - Deinterlace(?)
Not too sure about Vanilla MPC either since the layout and such is different on my setup (Mad VR+Lav Filters.)

bakum4tsu said:
I've not noticed any difference in quality, been using it for about three years with no problems. As far as I know the modern digital signals that go through HDMI cables don't degrade, they simply either work or don't work.

Mangaranga said:
bakum4tsu said:
All good video players have a deinterlace option if you look around.
with VLC I think it's Video - Deinterlace(?)
Not too sure about Vanilla MPC either since the layout and such is different on my setup (Mad VR+Lav Filters.)

Interlarced or deinterlaced... not really sure to be honest, not my "expert field"

BanzaiJedi said:
bakum4tsu said:
I've not noticed any difference in quality, been using it for about three years with no problems. As far as I know the modern digital signals that go through HDMI cables don't degrade, they simply either work or don't work.

Ok I might go for this then thanks!

Back