Viz Media criticize all forms of modern anime piracy

Paul said:
...Dubocq's answers have been largely dismissed as both shallow and contradictory.
That doesn't make the argument for illegal downloading and other forms of piracy any better though...

Just though I'd say... :wink:

piracies bad mmmmmm'kay

most of the time its because people are annoyed at the amount of ruined licenced anime and so seek out the unaltered 'import' version.

Hmm...correct me if I'm wrong...

Point 1
Ms Dubocq's criticism of fansubs only applies to licenced material. She's right to be against that but it's not in her company's best interests to dismiss the measure of popularity from unlicenced file sharing. Similarly, the stance that fansubs harm sales relies on the assumption that the fansub files render DVDs unappealing failures. Personally I'd choose DVD over bittorrent any day given the choice and no doubt many real fans feel the same way, from what I've heard to date at least.

Point 2
The 'fansubs harm DVD sales' argument is undermined by the success of Inuyasha. Self-contradictory indeed. The same argument goes for Naruto, especially considering Viz are making aneffort with the inclusion of posters and uncut versions.

Overall I understand her concerns but many of her opinions are flawed and ill-informed. What's most surprising for me is that all this is from their director of public relations, surely someone who should have a clear and accurate view on the state of the industry and fanbase.

Her views are a bit out of date. If I really want an anime, I go out and buy it. The people who download licensed anime all the time, have no intention on buying the real thing - so it's a bit of a contradictory statement.
For example, I watched a trailer of Eureka 7 and was put off immediately by it's shounen style testerone rubbish. If I downloaded it, it wouldn't make any difference as I wasn't going to buy it in the first place. The Viz director is just alienating herself with her non-broadminded and company statements. Her words will have no effect on those who continue to leech every anime possible.
________
Extreme q vaporizer

Fansubs exist because there is a gap in the market. People demand anime as soon as possible and fansubs are their only option. Until the anime companies work out a way of delivering content just as fast, fansubs will always prevail. Just look at iTunes for an example; I think in possibly 5 years we will be able to buy movies just like we can now buy MP3s via Apple. This is a gold mine waiting to happen.

neptune2venus said:
The people who download licensed anime all the time, have no intention on buying the real thing.

I downloaded the entire FMA series + movie from a 'group', i have purchased the second tin w/ volume 6 and intend to buy the other 12 volumes + tins, and the movie when it comes out; i have many other series that i intend to download... virtually all of them not released and/or don't have a release date in the UK, for example, 12K, FLCL, Now and Then Here and There etc etc etc. It's just that i personally love watching things fansub style. I have downloaded a ton of licensed things and i'm not ashamed to admit it, and as someone else said, there is a gap in the market, and as it takes half a year or more for a company to release an anime like Shakugan no Shana, why wait when there is an extremely good quality fansub completed, and generally fansubs are a LOT better than the dvd version, graphic wise - fansubs are slowly catching up but as for presentation, translation and everything else - fansubs win all the way... i've never seen karaoke on a dvd i bought >.>, the companies need to go to a lot more effort... but still it doesn't mean i'm not going to buy the dvd.

EDIT: As for the dubs.. in my opinion they suck, American voices in a Japanese surrounding (sometimes) just doesn't feel right... and i have no idea why i have watched mostly all of the dvd's i have, in the english dub... i'm going to re-watch them all Japanese style sometime, and that should also solve ADV's muck up with the enlgish dub on most of their dvd's, with the sound being totally weird - something that i've mentioned on many occasions on this forum.

Ok i really went off-topic there and my answer was totally different from the quote lol.. oops, i get carried away sometime...

Tell me if i'm wrong though... If one has spent more than £1000 on anime from many different companies.. then is there really any wrong-doing in downloading the funsub?

Reading what i've put above, it's very muddly, sorry about that.

EDIT 2: Oh and if anyone says it's stupid to admit that i have downloaded so much anime, well to be honest, if it comes to a court case, i'm willing to say my arguement, and when they see my anime collection, and think that they will lose a customer, they will drop the charges : ).. well not really, but hey you only live once!

Maybe i should actually reply to the topic in question as well...

I just read it and think that that person know's nothing of the fansub situation; is obviously not an anime fan; and as someone said above, has not been properly informed on the situation.
I feel very sorry for her... well not really.

EDIT: Oh.. and maybe if the company she's saying this from actually spent a bit more time making their products better and not whining about the odd thousand (or hundred thousand hahahahha) people who download their product, then maybe people would feel more happy to wait a little while...

I'm really sounding mean now... but i don't care : D. These companies should employ people who actually like anime to make these press releases, than get some money-making-not-caring-about-anime-whore to do the article...

Oh and another thought... I'm betting the people like those head of anime company people download fansubs themselves... i doubt they can all understand fluent Japanese, so how do they get to sample an anime to see if it's license-worthy or not...

EDIT 2: Well i'm off to Fly For Fun now : - D. My bitching session is over, please leave the donations in my inbox.

This statement/interview practically wholesale contradicts another statement made by Viz Media last year where they "understood" the need for fansubs. I don't think they have made such a U-turn in such a short space of time and believe that she is floundering in unknown territory. Or perhaps the earlier statement was ill-informed but that one at least sounded like it came from someone who had some knowledge of the industry.

so she criticzised illegal fansubbing big woopt-de-doo

people have been doing the same about music and movies

people do the same about the goverments

people do the same about everyone else

all they're doing is using their freedom of speech, it doesn't matter what they say nothing will happen, and if something does, not everyone will agree and ways around it will be found.

America makes it illegal to download licenced stuff so people who do it in america just set up a server in Russia or the middle east.

In the end, all they're doing is putting out their point of view.... nothing more, nothing less.

Edit: i suppose a nice realistic example of this was when america and europe "Warned" German about invading Poland and did nothing :?

Sadly it is more than just their point of view - company policy is based on such views and that has a knock-on effect on what they release.

She's supposed to know what she's talking about but looking at what's being said here, many may disagree.

Really not surprised by this interview - no company is going to come right out in support of fansubs. However, it could possibly have been done without the 'programmed response' robot impression.

Her comments were pretty much PR Dogma 'Piracy is bad m'kay'

More importantly she made some wild and crazy statements, like how an increase in western fansubbing/piracy would decrease japan's anime output or how it would force anime DVD prices to rise.

a) Japan's anime is generally produced for domestic consumption. The influx of US licensing revenue is actually quite small. Gonzo, one of the favoured studios for US licensing, only gets about 10-15% of its revenue from international licensing.

b) Increasing DVD RRPs will just plain backfire. The preferred method of increasing revenue from titles is to stretch out their volume counts. The premium already paid for anime titles can't be readily increased further.

Also she discounts the fansub impact on Naruto's success. If Naruto turned into a success from say, episode 20 on, her statement would have some credibility (as that would indicate that Naruto 'earned' its popularity through viewing. However Naruto was popular right from its first airing - due to the massive positive word of mouth popularity it earned from the N x 100000 people who had seen it on fansub. Naruto isn't good enough from episode 1 to earn immediate popularity like that.

We need more dogma like this about as much as we need a second assh0le. Fansubs do have an affect on anime sales, but the effect is not necessarily negative. I think distributers should do some research into how fansubs complement or affect sales rather that reciting rote mantras. They might find that killing off fansubbing could undermine the sales of traditionally A list titles. Certainly there is little in the early episodes of FMA or Eureka 7 that hint at the massive quality these shows achieve in later episodes. I have seen too many 'stick with it' posts on US forums for these titles, as fansub watchers encourage US DVD/TV only fans to stay watching the shows.

Not attributed to the viz interview, but related (especially when you incorporate ADVs position):
I can't understand why fansubbing is considered more heinous than R1 piracy or HK bootlegs on sale in US stores. It is virtually guaranteed that that R1 ripping and bootleg buyers have a lower pirate->DVD buyer conversion rate. Yes there are fansub watchers who buy the DVDs of titles that they have liked.

Unless there is another reason why they hate fansubbing in particular. Like perhaps it takes the control of the hype of a series out of the licensors hands. I am guessing here.

Until fan-subs are available separately from the video, and it is possible to download the video as soon as it is released in Japan (I'll give it less than 5 years for this to happen) then it will be acceptable to most people to illegally download stuff which is not available in this country yet.

Is there an industry for alternate subs provided without the video yet?

cornixt said:
Until fan-subs are available separately from the video, and it is possible to download the video as soon as it is released in Japan

Fansubbers are sensitive about sharing out their scripts. However I have seen some scripts shared out on torrent sites timed for use with particular RAWs. Some conscientious fansubbers would be concerned about the use of their scripts in commercial piracy (aka bootlegging).

Some fansubbers might be willing to give you scripts if you were using them as a translation aid for non-english subs, and some might give them to you if you proved you owned the japanese DVDs.

And anyone can download stuff as soon as it is released in Japan. RAWs are available typically within an hour after an episode has finished airing. Where else do the fansubbers get them from?

cornixt said:
Is there an industry for alternate subs provided without the video yet?

By industry, do you mean commercial industry? No. Its probably too trickly to attempt, as subs need to be timed to the source video, and if you dont use the correct source video with them the speech will be mistimed. The human eye is quite sensitive to timing issues, and is quite capable of noticing timing errors of less than 500ms.

She didn't mean that anime in Japan would decrease, but anime licensed for out side of Japan, meaning Viz's licenses. Just because someone at Viz said they "understood the reason for fansubs" some years ago doesn't mean that they are still so flipant about it now. The losses have most likley been painful enough now to become more hardened in their response. Understanding fansubs does not automatically mean they agree and like it.
BTW there is this gross misconception with fansubbers and those who download them that it's unlicensed. Well if it is licensed in Japan it's covered by the international copyright laws globally. so there is no difference between a bootleg and a fansub available to download on the internet, except one you exchange money for, the other you don't. To the original Japanese studio/distributor license holders, they're still left begging either way. I agree with Paul though the sooner the Japanese studios, or even the US distributors start their own torrent service, or link up on an agreed alliance with the better fansub people, the sooner this problem will fad away leaving just the more hardened fansubbers finally raising their Jolly Roger. Har!

Mohawk52 said:
She didn't mean that anime in Japan would decrease, but anime licensed for out side of Japan, meaning Viz's licenses.

Yes she did:

Ultimately, if piracy continues to extend to a greater scale and sales of legitimate anime DVDs in the US fall as a result, there could be less anime produced in Japan.

Mohawk52 said:
The losses have most likley been painful enough now to become more hardened in their response.

What losses? I have yet to see an argument where someone proves that fansubs are reducing sales. Fansubs can only harm the industry if the availability of fansubs convinces people who would otherwise buy the DVDs to not do so. Its more likely that fansubs have 2 different effects that could be considered harmful:
- fansubs alter peoples DVD purchasing choices, having watched Samurai 7 and Peacemaker Kurogane on fansub they choose to buy Samurai 7, even though they were going to pick PK because more of it was available.
- fansubs compromise a distributers ability to build up pre-release hype, and undermine it if the title is not good.

In fact I have seen plenty of arguments that can explain the plateau-ing anime industry situation in much easier to understand ways. There are a number of things that are industry fact over the last few years:
1. western distributers went mad licensing everything, often titles that were commercially dubious
2. japanese copyright holders raised their prices accordingly; licensing fees have increased by about 5-10 times
3. the DVD buying fanbase has stayed relatively static, a larger number of releases are all divided up among roughly the same number of fans, sales of these now more expensive titles are being halved and quartered. The massive choice is driving the fans towards the familiar and the A list titles
4. premium DVD releases are going to budget collections in a very short amount of time, buyers are being educated into waiting for these, and sales of the main profit-making initial DVD run are being undermined.
5. Retailers are losing patience with niche products that take up shelf space and dont shift. Anime DVDs that dont start selling quickly are being returned to distributers far sooner than they used to be.

Even if you take fansubs never existed, you can see that this is a very bad sequence of events. In order to justify that spending spree, they would have needed the fanbase to double or triple or even quadruple.

The main thing is that most of these decisions were made by the companies themselves on their own. They wanted to dominate the anime licensing war, and be on top of the boom. When that boom didn't manifest, they took other measures to eke out short term revenue which further undermined the sales of new titles. At the end of it all, their costs have risen dramatically, their selling window is down, they have saturated the market with titles and they have undermined their main source of revenue: the initial DVD run.

So when these guys make press releases about the industry and how badly they are doing, what do they say?
- "Sorry guys we screwed up"
or
- "Its all fansubs fault!"

Lets just say that in order to preserve their profit margins after the market saturation and heavy discounting, they would need to have had the anime consumer market grow by several times to sustain the release volume.

Mohawk52 said:
BTW there is this gross misconception with fansubbers and those who download them that it's unlicensed.

Of course its unlicensed. But the word you are looking for is legal.

Mohawk52 said:
I agree with Paul though the sooner the Japanese studios, or even the US distributors start their own torrent service, or link up on an agreed alliance with the better fansub people, the sooner this problem will fad away leaving just the more hardened fansubbers finally raising their Jolly Roger. Har!

What problem? What problem is fansubs causing? Prove that fansubs are undermining the industry. Lay down facts. Frankly the industry undermined itself in massive ways. The main point you have to prove is that fansub watchers dont buy DVDs or stop spending money on anime over time, purely down to fansub availability.

Prove that my enjoyment of Mushi-shi or Galaxy Express 999 is undermining sales of something that I cannot buy in legitimate translated form. Prove that I will under no circumstances ever buy them if they become legally available.

My gut feeling is that the industry is scapegoating fansubbing for their own mistakes. I believe R1 DVD rip piracy, and commercial bootlegs are far more destructive, but the industry always pins the blame on fansubbing.

Laughing Manji said:
Ultimately, if piracy continues to extend to a greater scale and sales of legitimate anime DVDs in the US fall as a result, there could be less anime produced in Japan.

Mohawk52 said:
The losses have most likley been painful enough now to become more hardened in their response.

What losses? I have yet to see an argument where someone proves that fansubs are reducing sales.
Couldn't be for want of looking though could it? You highlighted one arguement above from the Viz rep but have decided to rubbish it with denial, a typical downloader response.
Fansubs can only harm the industry if the availability of fansubs convinces people who would otherwise buy the DVDs to not do so. Its more likely that fansubs have 2 different effects that could be considered harmful:
- fansubs alter peoples DVD purchasing choices, having watched Samurai 7 and Peacemaker Kurogane on fansub they choose to buy Samurai 7, even though they were going to pick PK because more of it was available.
- fansubs compromise a distributers ability to build up pre-release hype, and undermine it if the title is not good.
Indeed can and are right now.

In fact I have seen plenty of arguments that can explain the plateau-ing anime industry situation in much easier to understand ways. There are a number of things that are industry fact over the last few years:
1. western distributers went mad licensing everything, often titles that were commercially dubious
2. japanese copyright holders raised their prices accordingly; licensing fees have increased by about 5-10 times
3. the DVD buying fanbase has stayed relatively static, a larger number of releases are all divided up among roughly the same number of fans, sales of these now more expensive titles are being halved and quartered. The massive choice is driving the fans towards the familiar and the A list titles
4. premium DVD releases are going to budget collections in a very short amount of time, buyers are being educated into waiting for these, and sales of the main profit-making initial DVD run are being undermined.
5. Retailers are losing patience with niche products that take up shelf space and dont shift. Anime DVDs that dont start selling quickly are being returned to distributers far sooner than they used to be.

Even if you take fansubs never existed, you can see that this is a very bad sequence of events. In order to justify that spending spree, they would have needed the fanbase to double or triple or even quadruple.
And again you are dismissing the fact that when they see low sales of a specific title in their own sales figures but see large hits of the same title at a fansub site, and they do look at these, they're not as dumb as some would think, then what other conclusion can they come to about the effects of these fansubs to their profit?

Mohawk52 said:
BTW there is this gross misconception with fansubbers and those who download them that it's unlicensed.

Of course its unlicensed. But the word you are looking for is legal.
Glossing over again mmm? Is it unlicensed in Japan? Do you not understand that no matter where in the world intellectual property is copyrighted that copyright covers the world in all and any form?

Mohawk52 said:
I agree with Paul though the sooner the Japanese studios, or even the US distributors start their own torrent service, or link up on an agreed alliance with the better fansub people, the sooner this problem will fad away leaving just the more hardened fansubbers finally raising their Jolly Roger. Har!

What problem? What problem is fansubs causing? Prove that fansubs are undermining the industry. Lay down facts. Frankly the industry undermined itself in massive ways. The main point you have to prove is that fansub watchers dont buy DVDs or stop spending money on anime over time, purely down to fansub availability.

Prove that my enjoyment of Mushi-shi or Galaxy Express 999 is undermining sales of something that I cannot buy in legitimate translated form. Prove that I will under no circumstances ever buy them if they become legally available.
Prove that you won't. :wink:

My gut feeling is that the industry is scapegoating fansubbing for their own mistakes. I believe R1 DVD rip piracy, and commercial bootlegs are far more destructive, but the industry always pins the blame on fansubbing.
Again typical downloader response. Alway in denial.

Back