using Unblock-us or other VPN to access american streaming services for anime what is your thoughts.

I don't see any problem with it at all, and view regional markets (especially when we're talking about the digital marketplace) as essentially a form of geographic discrimination against people just because they happen to live on a certain patch of clay.

If you're paying for a legal streaming service, the creators are getting paid. That's really all that matters for me. I would be interested in hearing arguments against using proxies though, because I can't really think of any.

I agree. i pay for unblock-us just to be safe. i am use to get anime that being streamed on crunchyroll in the us but not in the uk, I find out the anime I watching on crunchyroll is on another streaming service and for me I want to save money and want to keep to one steaming service as much as possible.

I use a free VPN to unblock Crunchyroll and have absolutely no qualms about doing so. As a paying subscriber, I feel I should have access to the same amount of content as US subscribers. Especially when I'm paying the same price as them.

@jazzimus - Can you please capitalise the word "I" and make your long sentences a bit shorter. Not wanting to come across all grammar Nazi but it will make your posts a lot easier to read.

I personally think using a proxy is fine, but I'd always use the UK simulcast where possible, just to encourage more simulcasts in the future.

Buzz201 said:
I personally think using a proxy is fine, but I'd always use the UK simulcast where possible, just to encourage more simulcasts in the future.

Agreed. I only go via a VPN to watch shows which aren't available in the UK, as the VPN slows everything down.

Personally I disagree with it on principle, but can understand why others might do it. It doesn't really bother me too much not being able to access certain stuff - there's already plenty to keep me busy on the UK side.

I have no problems with the principle but emphasize extreme caution in choosing a VPN to use. For example Hola which has chrome plugin doesn't proxy you through their own servers - it proxies you through other Hola users in the desired country.

The result? Anyone in the world could be accessing anything on the internet from YOUR computer. REALLY not a good idea.
More info: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/10 ... t_lulzsec/

I used to use Hola until that became known about, then I dropped it like a hot potato. Some research led me to the free version of a plugin called ZenMate now. They also offer a paid service, but since all I want is to access US Crunchyroll and Netflix, the free version is fine.

I haven't done it myself, perhaps mostly because I'm not great at technical things and I'm paranoid about security/privacy at times. I haven't really felt especially compelled to anyway, I generally get by on what is available here and can usually pick up anything else I'm interested in later. There aren't that many shows I feel I'm missing out on, though in fairness I guess a lot of that has to do with my taste so it's not like I'm saying anyone else should feel the same.

I can't say that I'm against it because I'd agree that it can be frustrating not being allowed to get access to something just because of where you live. Bring on the unified world I say, or at least the terrifying corporate future as long as I can live in the corporation that provides anime for it's members/meatbags.

Overall, I think it's better than going with the piracy option because chances are that at least some money will still be going to the right people.

i think this waas a great thread to start up as my first major thread. i say this im enjoying reading people thoughts on this cause its nice. i can see reason why for some i only use mainly for anime that say one piece anime. i have notice for me i had few anime to my qua that are USA only. i mean used to use crunchyroll app on my windows phone so i can watch anime on the bs trip home from work but i later found out it started to mess up with my crucnhyroll on other app and made me having to stop watching.

Even the ones which go through their own servers aren't 100% safe, but very little is. I have no moral objection whatsoever to anyone circumventing such an arbitrary restriction; the ones at fault are those attempting to force unnecessary rules on the people trying the hardest to support the creators. Regions shouldn't need to exist in a worldwide network at all, and it's especially offensive that what it ends up doing is isolating fans in any country not called 'America'. I could also rant all day about the stupidity of dividing up regions by language, so my English-fluent friends across Europe are screwed and I can't even watch the stuff I pay for when I'm on the road.

Having said that I personally don't tend to circumvent the locks and have only unblocked Japanese-only streams rather than US ones, and only for series which mattered a great deal to me. I don't want to give even the US stream hits if they won't cater to me so I just moan and wait for the physical version instead (I haven't got enough time to watch all the shows I want in the first place).

It's stupid that there's no legal One Piece stream here, and I personally think it's Manga UK who need to be persuaded to push for one to supplement their DVD release. If anything needs a legal way to sample it, it's a long-running shounen action show with addictive elements and a weird art style. It's been years since FUNimation and Toei sorted out a US stream; why are we still left out?

R

Rui said:
Even the ones which go through their own servers aren't 100% safe, but very little is. I have no moral objection whatsoever to anyone circumventing such an arbitrary restriction; the ones at fault are those attempting to force unnecessary rules on the people trying the hardest to support the creators. Regions shouldn't need to exist in a worldwide network at all, and it's especially offensive that what it ends up doing is isolating fans in any country not called 'America'. I could also rant all day about the stupidity of dividing up regions by language, so my English-fluent friends across Europe are screwed and I can't even watch the stuff I pay for when I'm on the road.

Having said that I personally don't tend to circumvent the locks and have only unblocked Japanese-only streams rather than US ones, and only for series which mattered a great deal to me. I don't want to give even the US stream hits if they won't cater to me so I just moan and wait for the physical version instead (I haven't got enough time to watch all the shows I want in the first place).

It's stupid that there's no legal One Piece stream here, and I personally think it's Manga UK who need to be persuaded to push for one to supplement their DVD release. If anything needs a legal way to sample it, it's a long-running shounen action show with addictive elements and a weird art style. It's been years since FUNimation and Toei sorted out a US stream; why are we still left out?

R

It took manga entertainment to work with toei animation Europe on releasing dragon ball and one piece

Back