US Vs UK release of Roberta's Blood Trail

Just import it.

You get it earlier.
You get 5.1 Audio.
You get good PQ.
You don't have to put up with locked subtitles.
You get proper subtitles.
You get a product which has been properly tested.
You'll get extras in some form or another.
You don't give Khazi any money.

There's literally no reason not to import unless you don't have a Region A Player/Multiregion DVD player at the very least.
The only thing which Khazi has over them is the choice of cover art.

I just wondered which is likely to be better, with all the recent issues with UK releases would it be safer to buy the US release?
It's not so much UK releases as a whole, just avoid Khazi releases. They are the biggest problem here and their releases are terrible.

I'm also importing, but just wanted to add it's not 100% certain (AFAIK) that the subs won't be locked in the US. It's 100% certain that they will be locked on Kaze's, though, so the US edition is still the best bet.

R

As a side issue, does anyone know if there are any plans to release a complete collection of Black Lagoon like the one for Tsubasa (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle: Collected Memories Box Set) or should I just get them as they are?

Rui said:
I'm also importing, but just wanted to add it's not 100% certain (AFAIK) that the subs won't be locked in the US. It's 100% certain that they will be locked on Kaze's, though, so the US edition is still the best bet.

R

I am right in thinking it's possible this will not be released in the UK this year?

Well, it's always possible. I'd imagine they want to push it out as soon as possible though since they've had it for a while, haven't they?

A complete collection is bound to happen one day but probably not for a couple of years.

R

I have pre ordered Roberta's Blood Trail from up1 since 1st of june. Despite being better for sure, since i have black lagoon r1 too, i wanna have the RB too. Plus the quality of the dvd of the series is superb for a "old" show. Really clean image and nice colors. Guess thats r1. lol I was really surprised. Will get this one for sure too.

mangaman74 said:
As a side issue, does anyone know if there are any plans to release a complete collection of Black Lagoon like the one for Tsubasa (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle: Collected Memories Box Set) or should I just get them as they are?

As far as I know, the best version released is both seasons combined as a Blu-ray/DVD Combo (Season 1 and The Second Barrage) and it's been out for at least a year (£28 on UP1). I doubt they would do a complete version this early.

NormanicGrav said:
mangaman74 said:

As far as I know, the best version released is both seasons combined as a Blu-ray/DVD Combo (Season 1 and The Second Barrage) and it's been out for at least a year (£28 on UP1). I doubt they would do a complete version this early.

Looks like a good price for both seasons on BD, especially as for a UK release you'd need to pay almost double

On a related note how does it look? Is it an upscale? (for Season 1&2)

Rosencrantz said:
NormanicGrav said:
mangaman74 said:

Looks like a good price for both seasons on BD, especially as for a UK release you'd need to pay almost double

On the back (I have a copy right here), it says HD Native so it's not an upscale. If it was an upscale it should have said SD Remaster.

NormanicGrav said:
Rosencrantz said:
NormanicGrav said:

On the back (I have a copy right here), it says HD Native so it's not an upscale. If it was an upscale it should have said SD Remaster.

It is an upscale, but an upscale in the way that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is an upscale. It was animated at less than 1080p resolution. In fact, in comparison to the DVDs, there is no actual extra detail in the picture per se, You won't be spotting anything new in the image. But rather than opt for an SD re-master, which is what Funimation have done for many of their shows, creating the Blu-rays from the same source material from which they created the DVDs, the Japanese studios went back to scratch with Black Lagoon and worked from the original animation, not the HD CAM tapes on which they sold the show abroad and to the TV stations. As a result, Black Lagoon's image looks amazing, with no visible compression, the full colour range that Blu-ray has to offer, and native 24 frames per second progressive playback. In that respect, comparing the Blu-ray to the DVD is like comparing night to day.

Just Passing Through said:
It is an upscale, but an upscale in the way that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is an upscale. It was animated at less than 1080p resolution. In fact, in comparison to the DVDs, there is no actual extra detail in the picture per se, You won't be spotting anything new in the image. But rather than opt for an SD re-master, which is what Funimation have done for many of their shows, creating the Blu-rays from the same source material from which they created the DVDs, the Japanese studios went back to scratch with Black Lagoon and worked from the original animation, not the HD CAM tapes on which they sold the show abroad and to the TV stations. As a result, Black Lagoon's image looks amazing, with no visible compression, the full colour range that Blu-ray has to offer, and native 24 frames per second progressive playback. In that respect, comparing the Blu-ray to the DVD is like comparing night to day.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is this or is this not what Gainax have done with Gurren Lagann for the Bluray box - only fixing/changing animation at the same time?

Just Passing Through said:

Roberta's Blood Trail was animated at 1080p was it not so is this uS release a direct transfer, no compression or whatever mucking around with it?

robot monkey said:
Roberta's Blood Trail was animated at 1080p was it not so is this uS release a direct transfer, no compression or whatever mucking around with it?
It was not animated at 1080p. Pretty much all current anime is 540-720p and upscaled for Bluray.
The only native 1080p titles I can think of off the top of my head are Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Wolf Children and Garden of Words.
Here's another fun fact, Funimation slightly increase the brightness of their releases for whatever reason. That's the main reason why the banding in Black Lagoon/Lain was so much more obvious than the JP BDs.

Mangaranga said:
robot monkey said:
It was not animated at 1080p. Pretty much all current anime is 540-720p and upscaled for Bluray.
The only native 1080p titles I can think of off the top of my head are Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Wolf Children and Garden of Words.
Here's another fun fact, Funimation slightly increase the brightness of their releases for whatever reason. That's the main reason why the banding in Black Lagoon/Lain was so much more obvious than the JP BDs.

Would it be cost that they don't animate much at 1080p?

Why Funi do that, why not just leave it as it's made, do they think it somehow improves it for the viewer doing that?

robot monkey said:
Would it be cost that they don't animate much at 1080p?

Why Funi do that, why not just leave it as it's made, do they think it somehow improves it for the viewer doing that?
I imagine that it would be the cost as well as the time it would take to animate TV series at 1080p. All three of those native 1080p titles are one off films.

Also Funi do that because Murrica' (I don't know, ask them.)

My Roberta's Blood Trail has just been sent from UP1. The release date is August 8th though... I know they release a few days before but we are talking about3 weeks here.

Back