US Region & Geolocking Compatible Blu-ray/DVD Imports

Not Sure how much interest they'll be to add titles like this to the list but quite alot of the old Central Park Media DVDs are 'ALL' or Region Free.

Battle Arena Toshinden
Detonator Orgun
Domain of Murder
Harmagedon
Heroic Legend of Arslan OVA
Judge
Maetel Legend
Odin Photon Space Sailer Starlight

If I find anymore compatible titles from my collection I'll let ya know

No problem!

Speak of the devil, considering I've watched your pickup vids for a long time now I was wondering if you were willing to test all of your Discotek titles? We've noticed a bunch ended up working on a Region 2 player (and an odd case with The Night on the Galactic Railroad being Region B compatible also), so if you have time I was wondering if you could check them?

I'd also love to know what the situation is with Discotek's BDs. I keep saying I'll get hold of one of their recent Lupin combo packs and that'll give me a chance to investigate properly, but funds aren't permitting for a while.

Phew okay do I have a list for you lol. I went all out whilst listening to the football.

Firstly I noticed that HDE's confirmation of Dino Mech Gaiking isn't on the list yet.

So I tested all the Discotek releases I have that weren't already on the list and it's good news pretty much save a couple. Here we go

Working Not Working

8 Man After
Adieu Galaxy Express 999

Animal Treasure Island
Blue Submarine No.6 DVD (DTS Edition released in 2016)
Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 1 Blu Ray
Cutey Honey TV
Demon City Shinjuku
Devilman TV
Dr.Slump Movies 1-5
Galaxy Express 999 The Movie
Galaxy Express 999 Eternal Fantasy
Ghost Stories

Golden Boy
Golgo 13 The Professional DVD
Lily C.A.T.
Locke The Superman

Lupin the Third: Jigen's Gravestone Blu Ray (My UK BD player gave me no error code or a wrong region screen, it just loaded for abit then stopped)
Lupin the Third: Napoleon's Dictionary
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro Blu Ray
Lupin the Third: The Fuma Conspiracy
Lupin the Third: The Mystery of Mamo
Ringing Bell
Saint Seiya Movies Vol.1
Saint Seiya Movies Vol.2
Sea Prince and the Fire Child
Space Adventure Cobra Movie DVD

Taro The Dragon Boy
Tekkaman Blade II DVD
Unico Double Feature Blu Ray
Violence Jack
Wicked City

Wonderful World Of Puss 'N' Boots

Golden Boy surprises me, the other 3 DVDs were the first three anime releases Discotek did. Lupin the 3rd Fuma conspiracy was 2007 and it seemed likely that everything after so far as DVD would work and that seems to be the case apart from the 2012 Golden Boy release. It's weird since Discotek had been releasing Anime pretty much exclusively from 2010 onwards.

I also found a few more CPM releases with 'ALL' on the back cover

A Wind Named Amnesia
Ayane's High kick
Black Jack Biohazard
Black Jack Incubation
Black Jack Infection
Black Jack Mutation
Black Jack Parasite
Black Jack Seizure
Black Jack Trauma
Dominion Tank Police
Garaga
Garzey's Wing
Grappler Baki The Ultimate Fighter
Legend of Lemnear
My My Mai
Project A-Ko
Project A-ko Love & Robots
Project A-Ko Uncivil Wars
They Were Eleven
Wild Cardz
Wrath of the Ninja The Yotoden Movie

Then curiosity set in and I tried the few CPM titles that said Region 1 on the back and well here's the results

Alien Nine
Angel Sanctuary
Birdy the Mighty Double Trouble
Birdy the Might Final Force

Darkside Blues
Harlock Saga
Silent Service
Strange Love

Tokyo Babylon
Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer
Virgin Fleet

I then had a sudden thought, perhaps alot of the Manga Entertainment titles would work also given they probably used the same disc across both US/UK regions. Here are the results

Angel Cop
Appleseed OVA

Astroboy 1980 Complete Collection
Black Magic M-66
Ghost Sweeper Mikami Movie

Guyver Bio Boosted Armor Vol.1
Guyver Bio Boosted Armor Vol.2
Highlander The Search for Vegeance

Macross II The Movie
Macross Plus Vol.1
Macross Plus Vol.2
Macross Plus Movie Edition
New Dominion Tank Police
Royal Space Force Wings of Honneamise
Psychic Wars
Shadow Skill
Street Fighter Alpha The Movie

Sword for Truth
The Dark Myth

Vampire Wars

Finally I tried a couple of release from relatively unknown publishers

Joe vs Joe Collection 1: The First 3 Rounds [AnimeWho]
Joe vs Joe Collection 2: The Final Rounds [AnimeWho]

Galaxy Express 999 TV Series Vol.1 [S'More Entertainment]

Bio Hunter [Urban Vision]
Golgo 13 Queen Bee [Urban Vision]
Vampire Hunter D [Urban Vision]

And with that me and my Samsung BD Player are going to take a well deserved break lol

Last edited:
Just FYI, Macross II was released by Kiseki in the UK so it's unlikely that the masters are identical since even though the kiseki version states region 0 it is English language only (and from what I remember could be considered a bodge job taken from the VHS version).

Phew okay do I have a list for you lol. I went all out whilst listening to the football.

Blimey that's one heck of a list, thank you very much Blaize!

Firstly I noticed that HDE's confirmation of Dino Mech Gaiking isn't on the list yet.

Ah my bad. Long story short when the forum's backup came back I realised I didn't update the newer tested Discotek titles (between Jan 2016-June 2016) so I lost a couple bits of data. Thankfully I was able to back up a fair amount.

Golden Boy surprises me, the other 3 DVDs were the first three anime releases Discotek did. Lupin the 3rd Fuma conspiracy was 2007 and it seemed likely that everything after so far as DVD would work and that seems to be the case apart from the 2012 Golden Boy release. It's weird since Discotek had been releasing Anime pretty much exclusively from 2010 onwards.

That's quite odd indeed. Sad that Golden Boy isn't compatible, that would have saved me the fuss of having to use my laptop to play Region 1 discs. Ah well, still at least there's a lot of them that works like normal, especially with Lupin III and the old 'Nasty' Manga UK titles Discotek rescued (which were cut in the UK).

No problem I had quite abit of fun doing it actually. I know your the same but I quite enjoy lists and things like this.

Also I made a mistake, Royal Space Force Manga Ent DVD does work, I had it in red but have since fixed that. While we have the BD of course now in both A/B lands the Manga DVD is worth having still for the Commentary track.

Also you have listed the Blue Submarine DVD as the original release, I tested the 2016 version which is a whole new release (new pressing with extra audio options). I would be almost certain the original release works too but we can't be sure.

No problem I had quite abit of fun doing it actually. I know your the same but I quite enjoy lists and things like this.

Also I made a mistake, Royal Space Force Manga Ent DVD does work, I had it in red but have since fixed that. While we have the BD of course now in both A/B lands the Manga DVD is worth having still for the Commentary track.

Also you have listed the Blue Submarine DVD as the original release, I tested the 2016 version which is a whole new release (new pressing with extra audio options). I would be almost certain the original release works too but we can't be sure.

Re:Honneamise. Ah yeah I remember the Commentary being hard to acquire so at least that version is compatible.

Re:Blue Sub. Oh dear, got confused between the two ;_; I'll fix that.

Just FYI, Macross II was released by Kiseki in the UK so it's unlikely that the masters are identical since even though the kiseki version states region 0 it is English language only (and from what I remember could be considered a bodge job taken from the VHS version).
You are probably right about the Kiseki Macross II as their release of Gunbuster was a bodged VHS rip complete with the dreaded white static bar at one point where the tape started to retrack.

So I received this morning two more Lupin Specials from Discotek.

Working Not Working

Lupin the Third: Alcatraz Connection
Lupin the Third vs Detective Conan The Movie

I also received Memories from Siren Visual and it worked on my Zone A PS3 (says Zone B only on the back). Sooooo I got curious once again and while I'm sure most of this was known I decided to check all my AU DVDs for Region 2 and well the results were terrible minus a single outlier.

Siren Visual

Black Rock Shooter TV
Chihayafuru Part One
Chihayafuru Part Two
Dennou Coil Part One
Dennou Coil Part Two
Hakaba Kitaro
Higurashi When They Cry Part One
Higurashi When They Cry Part Two
Higurashi When They Cry Rei Part One
Higurashi When They Cry Rei Part Two
Kaiba
Monster Part One
Monster Part Two
Monster Part Three
Monster Part Four
Monster Part Five

Samurai Horror Tales
Thermae Romae
Welcome to Irabu's Office

Madman Entertainment

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Captain Herlock Endless Odyssey
Nichijou My Ordinary Life Collection One
Nichijou My Ordinary Life Collection Two
Star Blazers Quest for Iscandar
Star Blazers The Comet Empire
Star Blazers The Bolar Wars

At least this can be a reference to any unsure if any of these would work lol.

Last edited:
New update to the post thanks to Funimation's November line-up.

Regions A|B|1|2|4
  • Overlord - Complete Series [Funimation]
LE full-art revealed the regions on the discs. Given the show is under Kadokawa Media Factory, they generally tend to be region free so this is no surprise. The Funi Shop has all of the new titles under A|1 which is rather odd (considering they're all available on Funi Now UK), so it's best to keep an eye when they get released. I'll be pre-ordering Overlord so I'll test it myself.

Fresh one for the list!

Discotek's Darkstalkers OVA collection is another 'works in anything you slot it into' type dealio.

Also, will aim to get it watched and reviewed on Youtube soon. Ish.

Doctor was able to test the Haruhi Suzumiya Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray for me (as mine is at another location). Here's the results:

Regions A|B:
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Complete Seasons One & Two [Funimation]
Region A:
  • The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - Complete Series [Funimation]
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya & Nyoron Churuya-san - Complete Series [Funimation]
So as you can see, the main two seasons will work on your players (including the DVD extras disc). But the rest of the franchise is Region A only.

Just received Kiniro Mosaic Season 2 and it appears to be Region A/B. I've tried it on my PS4 and my Region Free BD player with the Region code set to A and B and it plays fine on both, no bypass or anything required.

Just received Kiniro Mosaic Season 2 and it appears to be Region A/B. I've tried it on my PS4 and my Region Free BD player with the Region code set to A and B and it plays fine on both, no bypass or anything required.

If you tried it on a PlayStation then it's geolocked.

EMaHOz5.gif

Working out which Sentai BD is region free is actually more complicated now. The Sentai discs are geolocked and a majority of the players are set to United States. All current consoles are geolocked as well.

Back