US Congress Rules That Pizza is a Vegetable

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
http://www.thejournal.ie/us-congress-ru ... 3-Nov2011/

PIZZA CAN BE classed as a vegetable – at least according to a decision made by the US Congress. Who knew?

American lawmakers have ruled that the amount of tomato paste in pizza sauce means that pizzas can be counted as a vegetable.

The bizarre move, which was decided in a vote on the annual spending bill for the Department of Agriculture, happened for purely political reasons.

The crucial bill had oversight over subsidised school meals, and the department was seeking to restrict pizza, chips and starchy vegetables from the menu for school children in a bid to combat child obesity.

MSNBC reports that politicians had been lobbied heavily by the frozen food industry who didn’t want to see a major revenue stream cut off given how often pizza is found on the menus of school canteens in the US.

School meals subsidised by the government are mandated to include a certain amount of vegetables and the Department of Agriculture’s plan would have pushed pizza-makers at least partly out of the school lunch business.

The salt industry, potato growers, and some conservative politicians who said that the federal government shouldn’t be involved in telling children what to eat, also lobbied against the change.

After some debate, Congress voted that anything containing two tablespoons of tomato sauce can be labelled a vegetable, putting pizza into the vegetable category.

The Obama administration is fighting to make school lunches healthier in the face of a growing obesity problem across the country.
1319901250777.jpg

Ho ho! Those colonial gluttons — how risible their gastronomic yearnings are!

Now to celebrate my pompousness by tootling over the border for Caledonian eggs and a Mars bar à la friteuse. Tally-ho!

So, if I put two teaspoons on a person and then eat them, it wouldn't count as cannibalism as they're technically a vegetable? Just goes to show how dumb the American system is, all they're concerned about is money, money, money.

I have a "Meat Feast" pizza when I order from the local take out.... Only cheese and peppers on there, me's thinks and 4 different meat types. Yeah... Vegetables....

Ha! America, land where freedom is defended by insanity. Still, at least it's defended... if in an odd, corrupt way. What do kids eat here these days, Jamie Oliver's toenail clippings by government mandate?

I find it amazing how far this has gotten pushed to further the impression of American stupidity.

The article that I've seen fairly clear states that because of an increase in the amount of tomato sauce on the pizza, it counts as a portion of veg. Not quite the paragon of idiocy it's being paraded as.

Hot damn the heart attack I have on a plate every now and then is actually good for me. Thanks America, think I need to increase my "vegetable" intake ;)

MikeP said:
I find it amazing how far this has gotten pushed to further the impression of American stupidity.
Pray silence! You interrupt our expressions of nationalistic hubris! With our choruses must we drown the cries of those who seek to dampen our pride: AND DID THESE FEET IN ANCIENT TIME

Otaku-san said:
American lawmakers have ruled that the amount of tomato paste in pizza sauce means that pizzas can be counted as a vegetable.

OK....They do realise that a tomato is a fruit, don't they?

Haha, by far the best comment in this entire thread.
I find that even though it's a fruit people still look at you like you're insane if you eat one on it's own...

animefreak17 said:
well my brother dose and says stupid stuff all the time and my dad says to him * if you had a brain you'd be dangerous *

That's....so harsh.. :cry:

Anyway, yeah as for America I can't really say I'm surprised, they haven't even figured out that firearms being legal for them and gun culture being seen as a healthy American hobby..is directly linked to the countries ridiculous amount of gun crime. Well actually even if Obama did realize, I guess he doesn't even have the power to do anything about it anyway, without destroying his political career at least.

But yeah this really doesn't surprise me, the more unhealthy people the better for those on top. Keep them from fulfilling their potential right, and lets not forget that illness equals profit. And even when they are ill, they don't get a realistic cure for their ailment, nope that wouldn't be a good buisness model would it, nah they just temporary relief for a price. And what is that price? Ironically that price is often their health as well as their money.

vashdaman said:
Anyway, yeah as for America I can't really say I'm surprised, they haven't even figured out that firearms being legal for them and gun culture being seen as a healthy American hobby..is directly linked to the countries ridiculous amount of gun crime. Well actually even if Obama did realize, I guess he doesn't even have the power to do anything about it anyway, without destroying his political career at least.
Yes, let's allow our governments to trample all over our rights because they have the power to use deadly force against us but we don't have the power to use it against them. Let's have a look at the second amendment:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The reason the Yanks have guns, enshrined there in law by their founding fathers, is not for self defence, protecting your home and family or any of that other crap that gets trotted out at every political debate; it's to overthrow the government if it becomes tyrannical. And for that reason the ability to own a gun should absolutely be a right anywhere in the world. Notice now that Gaddafi's gone they're trying to get the Libyans to surrender their weapons... Great, so once the citizens are disarmed what's to stop another tyrant rising to power, who they then can't fight because they don't have weapons any more! I would go out and buy a gun tomorrow if they were available here. And if I had a university degree I'd be buying my one way ticket to Canada or America for the cheap land, cheap petrol, low population density and distinct lack of the nanny-no-longer-even-bothering-to-hide-her-swastika-armband state.

vashdaman said:
Ironically that price is often their health as well as their money.
And that choice should be theirs to make. Government shouldn't be about telling people what to do and controlling their lives - if you give individuals responsibility over their own lives, they have to deal with the consequences of not doing so. If someone wants to spend all their money eating themselves to death then let them. It's their money and their health.

Back