Uni students! Where do you study?

kanra02

Hikikomori
I'm not sure how many universities have an anime society (maybe all of them do and this is completely pointless...) but I thought this would be a nice way of getting to know anime fans nearby. ^o^

I'll start! My (online) name is Kanra and I'm not actually in university yet, but I'll hopefully be starting my course at Imperial in a few months time! (Fingers crossed for getting the grades!!!) ^^

Well, tomorrow I should be finding out if I've hit the grades to get into my university of choice which is SOAS. And when I say uni of choice, I mean the only uni I can realistically envision myself attending, due to certain obligations making it unlikely I'll be able to find a way to attend my out of London 'back up' choice. My grades really could swing either way, so wish me luck. Not sure about anime societies, but I'm going to be studying Japanese, and I'm somewhat concerned my class might actually be like an anime society in itself *gulp*, though I wouldn't mind if it was a cool anime society filled with nice people like those on this forum.

Oh I'm so anxious.

vashdaman said:
Well, tomorrow I should be finding out if I've hit the grades to get into my university of choice which is SOAS. And when I say uni of choice, I mean the only uni I can realistically envision myself attending, due to certain obligations making it unlikely I'll be able to find a way to attend my out of London 'back up' choice. My grades really could swing either way, so wish me luck. Not sure about anime societies, but I'm going to be studying Japanese, and I'm somewhat concerned my class might actually be like an anime society in itself *gulp*, though I wouldn't mind if it was a cool anime society filled with nice people like those on this forum.

Oh I'm so anxious.

Oh! I have a friend who has applied to SOAS for the same course as you! Best of luck with your results! What are the requirements for getting in? I'm guessing it wasn't an A level offer since my results day isn't until the 16th of August...?

teonzo said:
Most probably you will find a class full of Godzilla fans that will force you to dress everyday as Mothra.

This may be preferable to a class full of Naurto cosplayers, which was how the class in my back up uni choice was described on some student website I was using to do research on the course. Hey, why not though, I guess I wouldn't really mind a bunch of Narutos turning up to a lecture, as long as their elitist otaku appearances belied genuinely down to earth personalities.

Oh! I have a friend who has applied to SOAS for the same course as you! Best of luck with your results! What are the requirements for getting in? I'm guessing it wasn't an A level offer since my results day isn't until the 16th of August...?

Thanks, yeah it's an access course, I'm way too old for a-levels being 24. Oh I hope I'm not the only one in the class in my twenties if I get in... :lol:

The requirements for me, considering I was on an access course, was 30 credits at distinction, another 15 at either merit or distinction, and then the last 15 credits can just be pass. You usually get 3 credits per assignment. Distinction is roughly the equivalent of an A, supposedly. It's not really that hard to achieve to be honest as long as you have your head firmly screwed on....but my life is just...I don't know. Still, it should come to down to the wire either way. I fully and objectively think my work is more than good enough to get the grades...however, my tendency to go off and do my own thing with my assignments may come back to bite my ****. Some teachers love when you put the time in to do your own research and come to your own conclusions, while others just want a regurgitation of what you learn in class...but I find doing that almost immoral, so I don't. I've seen some people in my classes get distinctions for more or less copy and pasting stuff from wikipedia, so if my extensively researched (and not to sound arrogant, but better written) essays don't get the same mark...I'll find it a bit hard to wrap my head around, and may well enter a state of despair :lol: I'm really crying on the inside.

Well, i am a former Uni student so maybe i shouldn't post here, but hey. I studied at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh for 4 years and got my mathematics degree a couple years ago. Was great fun for the first three years....and then fourth year happened and i died a little. Still glad i did it though, and my degree felt rewarding to pick up.

On the topic of anime societies at uni, most have them(that i know of), but whether or not they are any good is another question altogether. The one at our uni was a bit iffy. I stopped going after 3 months because they never shown off anything worthwhile, and when they did it was to the wrong audience(the first Mobile Suit Gundam film should've been cool to watch, but instead confused a lot of the people there, and got a few laughs for iffy dialogue. They never showed anything series wise, it was always films, and that probably wasn't the best option. Not only that, but the people who ran it where.......weird. Hah. Bad choices, but it could've worked better

I'm graduating from my postgraduate course at the end of the month, so I'm just about eligible to post here I guess :p

I did a BSc in Physics at Queen Mary, University of London from 2007-2010, and followed that up with a MSc in Climate Change Impacts and Sustainability at Brunel University from 2011 to this point.

The very first thing I did at Queen Mary during Freshers' week was join the anime society. I had so much fun there, most people were very laid-back and cool and I made a lot of friendships that still remain today. During my early months at Uni when I was still shy about getting to know my coursemates, it was great to have another avenue of meeting people with common interests. We'd have a weekly screening, then we'd follow that up with a trip to the pub. We've had some very memorable screenings, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu was riotous, Sword of the Stranger went down brilliantly too. There was a legendary screening of Grave of the Fireflies too, but I wasn't there for that one. ;)

Occasionally we'd mix it up with a trip to the Trocadero or to a Japanese restaurant for some Chicken Katsu curry. We also gathered up and went to the MCM London Expo as a group which was great, often you can get subsidised tickets from Animesoc so that leaves you more money to spend there :p I got elected treasurer of the society in my final year (by default), so it was cool to get involved in the actual organising of things as well. We did an inter-society quiz that year as well with a lot of the other Uni Animesocs, such as UCL, Imperial and Goldsmiths, am pleased to say that QMUL were victorious :p

I joined the Animesoc at Brunel as well, but I stopped going after the first semester. This wasn't any fault of the society really, just that I was doing a postgrad course and commuting, so I didn't really have much time at Brunel to get involved socially. It definitely felt more like going to work with colleagues than going to study with friends thats for sure.

In any case, I highly recommend joining your uni's Animesoc. I had such a blast at QMAnimesoc, got introduced to some really cool anime that I wouldn't have checked out otherwise and I made some awesome friends!

EDIT: D'oh! I wrote year instead of month in the first sentence!

I studied at UCLan in Preston, and gave their anime and manga society a try in the second year (as I only really discovered anime in first year). I lasted one meeting. When the people running it asked for suggestions of things to watch, someone who requested Naruto was told that it was off the list and wouldn't ever be shown. There was no real effort to make the potential new members welcome, and we just ended up watching Hetalia and the first two Hellsing Ultimate episodes. I enjoyed the latter, but found the group so uninviting that I never went back.

Ath said:
We did an inter-society quiz that year as well with a lot of the other Uni Animesocs, such as UCL, Imperial and Goldsmiths, am pleased to say that QMUL were victorious :p
The LSE team probably withdrew from the contest after realising it was too inexpensive.

I went to the University of Abertay Dundee and graduated this year. I will now be going to Stirling Uni for my MSc.

As far as societies go, they vary in quality depending on the drive and motivation of the people who run them. The anime society at Abertay showed Bleach, NGE, Naruto and other popular modern anime series once a week - which is probably the reason why I stopped attending! Nobody even talks about the more obscure anime which I love and adore. :p

I still say it's always worth giving a society a go and see if you can find like-minded people. You never know till you try!

neptune2venus said:
I went to the University of Abertay Dundee and graduated this year. I will now be going to Stirling Uni for my MSc.

As far as societies go, they vary in quality depending on the drive and motivation of the people who run them. The anime society at Abertay showed Bleach, NGE, Naruto and other popular modern anime series once a week - which is probably the reason why I stopped attending! Nobody even talks about the more obscure anime which I love and adore. :p

I still say it's always worth giving a society a go and see if you can find like-minded people. You never know till you try!

oh wow, you're literally down the road from me then if you're heading to stirling XD

That's the main issue i had with my anime soc, it never showed much worthwhile, and it was usually films of things most had seen(bar gundam movie 1), so things never really clicked with everyone. I know a few of us stayed out of the room for certain films and just chatted in the lobby outside the lecture theatre because it didn't take our fancy.

All three universities in Glasgow have an active anime society, to the best of my knowledge. What gets shown tends to vary wildly depending on who's presently running the club, although both the ones I've been to (Caledonian and Strathclyde) tend to go for series that are at least one step removed from the most popular.

From what I've seen of it, choosing series for these things tends to be a difficult process though. Finding a show of the right length with broad appeal that enough people haven't already watched can be surprisingly limiting, and seems to lead to some rather odd viewing schedules.

Professor Irony said:
From what I've seen of it, choosing series for these things tends to be a difficult process though. Finding a show of the right length with broad appeal that enough people haven't already watched can be surprisingly limiting, and seems to lead to some rather odd viewing schedules.

Finding someone who cares enough about anime and the society to actually put that much effort into choosing a show is also difficult.

I'm going to be applying for uni soon, and an anime society is something i'd be interested in joining.
I really do hope though, that the uni i go too has a society that is run by some cool people with broad tastes, cause i have no interest in 2 hours a week spent watching naruto in a dingy theatre. hopefully they'll be a more democratic process when deciding what is shown.

Back