Underrated Games

Hovis!

Vampire Ninja
As the title of this thread suggests, this is about what games people have played and / or got which are underrated by either the media, general public or both.

I'll begin with the following:

* Arc (the Lad): Twilight Of The Spirits
* Beyond Good & Evil
* Breath Of Fire (all of them, particulary #5: Dragon Quarter)
* Dark Chronicle (aka Dark Cloud 2)
* Katamari Damacy & We Love Katamari
* The Mark Of Kri
* Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
* The Project Zero Trilogy
* Psychonauts
* Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
* Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

That'll do for starters. :)

Guyver 0 said:
in Cold Blood for the PS1
that was areally good point and click james bond esq game that noone played

I bought it a couple of years ago but couldn't get into it, i thought that i'd love it because i was made by revolution and i've loved all the broken sword games but i was wrong.

Don't think you could add Borken Sword cos didn't the first 2 did pretty well?

Over here i'd say that Armoured Core is underplayed (maybe underrated) although after 2 it all got very repetitive.

Hovis! said:
this is about what games people have played and / or got which are underrated by either the media, general public or both.
I think it's rare that "both" applies, and even the media is pretty good at rating games (well, they OVERrate far more than they UNDERrate). It's the general public who're the problem. No one listens to which games are actually good, just the games that the television/guy down the road/neighbour's dog/ tells them to buy.

Another thing though... all underrated games eventually get put on some bizarrely high pedestal eventually. After so many "Gamespot's 10 most underrated games of all time" and the millions of "underrated games" threads, people get a little carried away and trump up certain games because simply, they can. Like I can quite comfortably say that System Shock 1 is the most amazing game in the world, because the probability that any of you have or will actually play it is pretty slim, and if you have played it, you're part of the clique and wouldn't say a bad word against it.

So, my list of games i'm proud to say i've played, and you probably haven't: Archemedian Dynasty, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Darwinia, Final Fantasy Tactics, System Shock series, Thief 1 and 2 and We Love Katamari

Total Annihilation - Greatest RTS ever made! 1996.
Cossacks European Wars - Super RTS based on the 18th century
Astro Empires - Online game, survive in a big bad universe!
Colony Wars - Great PS1 game.

Gungrave - I love the animation, the story and although its just walk and shoot one button style action I love the way he moves while picking off people around him.

Sid Miers Alpha Centauri- Best Civ game, with cuusomisable units and true goverment choices.
Aracnum- bit out dated when it first came out and with some annoying twitches and gameplay ideas but one of only steampunk rpg's i can think of. also helps that the game play map is HUGE.

McIcy said:
Gungrave - I love the animation, the story and although its just walk and shoot one button style action I love the way he moves while picking off people around him.

I've got to disagree, while this games is good for the first 10 minutes after that you realise that it's repetative and shallow.

hopeful_monster said:
Sid Miers Alpha Centauri- Best Civ game, with cuusomisable units and true goverment choices.

I completly agree, while this game has a few faults it's a great game with some good ideas. I think Civ games should have gone more in this direction rather than civ 3 and 4 (4 in particular, the religion bit is rubbish).

Underrated games are my speciality!

Culdcept (US PS2) - Ok so it's not released in the UK, but this monopoly and Yu-Gi-Oh hybrid is so addictive and highly underrated.

Clock Tower 3 (PS2) - Despite having some gameplay flaws, it's still entertaining to play.

Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2) - Get the US version of this shooter for the most dub awful dialogue ever. The UK version got the anime parts ripped out.

Evil Zone (PS1) - Yay for anime fighting games with some actual story!

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 (PS2) - One of my favourite RPGs that isn't cliche.

Romancing SaGa (US PS2) - Forget the horrible Unlimited SaGa. This is old school open ended gameplay at it's finest.
________
LAMBORGHINI DIABLO GT SPECIFICATIONS

Back