TV is killing us?

Sparrowsabre7

Za Warudo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ds-newsxml

Now I know that's from the Mail but I heard it on the BBC first.

Either way I call absolute BS. As bad as smoking? Give it a rest. They're just looking for headline grabbing, scaremongering. People have been watching TV for years (it's all old people seem to do...) and they're all living longer.

I agree sedentry lifestyles are bad for you, but isn't reading a book sedentry as well? Always so quick to blame TV and videogames.

Also I don't watch 6 hours a day (probably) but if I did, frankly 5 years is an acceptable loss to alleviate boredom as far as I'm concerned.

to be honest tv doesn't causes obesity, its constant snacking while watching tv.
to stop my self from getting fat i go on 35 minute runs every night with a sweat suit on and i lose 500 calories every night without the sweat suit but with the sweat suit i think i lose 300 - 400 more calories.
regular exercise every day is part of my every day life

500 cals? plus 300-400 with suits on. GDA says that adults should intake 2000 Cals as part of a healthy diet. So i presume your on the skinny side?

Its true what you say, its the unwise choice to sit infront of a tv for hours upon hours, shoving cals down your throat and not moving unless you run out of food or a call of nature, then ofcorse people end up obese.

The thing that i don't understand is, they sit there, they know that they are getting fat and they don't choose to do anything. But then they complain about the fact they get out of breath easy, that they can't do things that normal sized people can, that they don't like their body. Its as simple as a 20minute walk per day to burn off enough cals to live comfortably and healthy when your already at a normal size, but in the end its not about counting calories or diets, its about using more energy than you eat. See your body as a box, you put more and more into the box and its eventually going to get too full and bulge. Now if you take out objects (by using energy) then the box will never become full.

Bit of misleading and sensationalist headline. Watching an hour of TV can take 22 minutes off our lives... if we never get off our arses and exercise.

So basically, not exercising is bad for our health. Well no ****, Sherlock!

fabricatedlunatic said:
Bit of misleading and sensationalist headline.

Hi Fabricated Lunatic, Daily Mail, I don't believe we've met =P

I agree though, they just go "TV WILL KILL YOU AND IS WORSE THAN SMOKING!!!!" but what they mean is "WATCHING TV MEANS YOU ARE NOT EXERCISING AND YOU WILL BECOME LESS HEALTHY BECAUSE OF THAT"

Just ride an exercise bike while watching tv. Problem solved =P

Im dissapointed! I thought that story would be about tv sending out magical fat rays that make people put on weight. I didn't realise that lack of activity = poor health was news worthy enough to write about.

Cancer from your laptop, cancer from your root crop
Cancer from your shoes, from your dog, from your pen top...

I'm happy to live until I die. I'm not going to waste any of that life attempting to influence when that might be. My uncle (one of the fittest people I knew) taught me that lesson when he died in his 50s of a congenital heart defect.

Corra said:
Im dissapointed! I thought that story would be about tv sending out magical fat rays that make people put on weight. I didn't realise that lack of activity = poor health was news worthy enough to write about.

Again, welcome to the mail =P I guess Oz just really hates electronic devices =P They have one of the most restrictive games legislations in the world and now they're coming for TV. You're next radio!

@ everyone
im not skinny im only 12 stone age nearly 24.
i always worry about calories so
my arms are skinny but my legs are freakin muscular

1 i ask my mom to not buy junk food
2 i make a abet of going on runs every night
3 i try eating one or two small meals a day ( depending if im always moving il eat big meals if im not moving all the time il eat small meals )
4 if you want to snack on something eat fruit ( i like grapes, watermelons, apples)
5 if you going to snack make sure you have water to balance it (i got this idea from hetalia)

Back