TV Drama Recommendations

Much in the same vein as my PC topic, I am looking for some good TV to watch - because I only watch it for Home & Away and Neighbours! I might be missing out on a good series!

I haven't found anything good to watch since the 1996-ish series like Bad Girls, X-Files, Xena Warrior Princess and Star Trek Voyager. I tried watching Charmed and Buffy The Vampire Slayer but they are 'too' American for my taste and Buffy's so called humour was grating to say the least.

I hear Lost is good and the same with Dr Who - so anything else out there?

No Desperate Housewives or Prison Break please! :wink:
________
Honda Nx125

LOST is the most essential series on TV right now. I'm totally addicted to it. It's remarkably character driven, but the actual lost-on-deserted-island plot is so bizarre, menacing and mysterious that I can't stop watching. I mean, polar bears on tropical islands?!

I've heard good things about Battlestar Gallactica but haven't seen any of it. Sopranos is awesome though.

Paul said:
LOST is the most essential series on TV right now. I'm totally addicted to it. It's remarkably character driven, but the actual Lost plot is so bizarre, menacing and mysterious that I love it. Polar bears on tropical islands?!

I've heard good things about Battlestar Gallactica but haven't seen any of it. Sopranos is awesome though.

Battlestar Gallactica bored me alot, the original is alot better :lol: .
I recently watched the fianle of Lost season 2, the season as a whole was better than season 1 but the end wasn't as big a cliffhanger, still extremely weird, especially the remains of giant four toed statue.

Last edited by a moderator:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
House starring Hugh Laurie. Definitely
You beat me to it. That's pretty much the only TV drama I actually watch these days. Well acted, interesting science-y jargon and some really black humour.

I wish I could coment on Lost but I was working evenings when the first series was on so I couldn't get into the second.

generally i find very little worth watching on TV even with sky

if anything its Futurama/Simpsons, some live shows on Disney and 8 simple rules on ABC

only other things i really watch are football and sky movies

The following program is good in it's laughable badness.

I am talk about Ultimate Force. Just ross kemp pwning terrorists.

Lost is very hit and miss. Bits of the plot don't make sense when viewed in context with other bits, it's like they make it up as they go along. Rent the DVDs rather than waiting around for weeks for the next few episodes.

Thank you for all your suggestions. That House one sounds interesting and I hear good things about Firefly as well, but I'm hesitant to watch Firefly because it's done by the Buffy people.
I'll probably look into Lost eventually and be disappointed on how overyhyped it is - but you never know - I might enjoy it!

Anyone seen Dead Like Me? Is it any good? I'm interested in watching it. :D
________
Vaporizer wholesale

Ramen89 said:
Millennium is pretty sweet if you can stomach it (by the creator of X-Files)...
Oh yeah how could I forget Millennium?! It's fantastic, but as Ramen said it's a bit hard to stomach sometimes. It deals with very extreme violent crimes(the first episode is about people being buried alive with their eyes and mouths stitched up) but it is really edge of your seat stuff if you can get past the sometimes gruesome visuals.

I saw a couple of episodes of Dead Like Me and while it was watchable I wouldn't really watch it again unless nothing else was on.

But yes, you must watch House. It's just brilliant. Hugh Laurie seriously impressed me.

Lost is the ONLY thing I watch on TV at the moment. Well, someone else's TV anyway (I don't have one and it would be stupid to get one. £100+ for one programme a year on a teeny little screen with piss-poor reception. No thanks TV Licensing). It draws you in and strings you along very well, and the characters and their interactions are so great! The only other series I'd watch IF the BBC had the balls to show it, is 24. I've seen the first 3 series and they're much the same as Lost at drawing you in. Plus both main characters are called Jack :p
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Lost is pants. ^-^
Can you really not find them, or are you just saying that because you don't like wearing them?
edit:
neptune2venus said:
I'll probably look into Lost eventually and be disappointed on how overyhyped it is - but you never know - I might enjoy it!
Oh right... reality check. This is n2v we're talking to. Steer clear of Lost. You WILL hate it.

I also agree with the LOST recomendation. I just finished watching the second season this morning and can't wait for the 3rd to start. I think its just the fact that it gets you involved to the extent that it makes you work your brain watching it compared to many other programs on TV these days. I also like the conspiracy theories that are all over the internet with ghost sites that are set up so you can delve deeper into wtf is going on by searching for clues all over the internet.

kupoartist said:
Can you really not find them, or are you just saying that because you don't like wearing them?
I wear Boxers and Lost really isn't as good as most people claim it to be. Sure there's the occassional good character story and the series started off interesting but after the extremely anti climactic season one finale it's hard for not people to lose interest, especially sitting through a series of hit or miss character stories. After about 9 hours of footage you feel cheated. Sure series 2 may be better but i'm not going to bother with it anymore.

If you really wanted to then you could get hold of some J-drama through the wonder of the internet. My recomendations being the obvious Densha Otoko. Also Ai No Uta (Love Song), and i just started watching Dragonzakura which is pretty good to.

Damn, I forgot about 24 - that's a good series. Firefly isn't very similar to Buffy really - the best description I can give is a live action Cowboy Bebop with a bit of Star Wars thrown in.

I also recall Six Feet Under, which I've had recommended to me in the past but have yet to see.

ConcreteBadger said:
the best description I can give is a live action Cowboy Bebop with a bit of Star Wars thrown in.
Hmm... that's the description I just heard two seconds ago when the guy in the room next door told me that he'd been watching his newly aquired Firefly boxset :p

Firefly is great, easily one of the best sci-fi shows of the past decade. Watching the entire series first also makes the movie Serenity much more enjoyable.

Six Feet Under is incredibly surreal at times, but bloody funny. If you like dark humour, look it out.

If you can track it down, the live-action Great Teacher Onizuka is well worth watching, better than the anime series. But the special's rather poor by comparison and the movie's just crap.

Back