Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms

Ramadahl

Hunter
So, I recently picked this up based on the ANN rating, that and the fact that I tend to like slice-of-life stuff and it was only 1 volume anyway. I wasn't disappointed.

Being very much a slice-of-life story there can't be said to be a plot as such - it shows some brief glimpses into the lives of a few people, getting it's message across by the way they talk and act rather than by being overly graphic, something which can be easy to fall into.
The artwork is good throughout, the seemingly freely drawn style giving the story a calmer feel than others more enarmoured of thick lines and rulers. It also gives it a slightly older feel, adding to the historical atmosphere.

So, all-in-all, I recommend it to anyone who likes slice-of-life stuff or ever felt like picking some up.
I'd also be interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts about it (gotta be someone, right? Right? ^^; ).

I bought it a month or so back but haven't had the time to read it yet. Like you, I was attracted by the nice, relaxing art style and the critical acclaim. Will post my opinion once I actually read the thing.

I've heard of this before; it's always getting all kinds of awards and accoldades. Slice-of-life isn't really my thing, but the critics are usually right so I think I'll go order this :]

Thanks for pointing this out Ramadahl. I'm becomming a big Slice of Life fan and this is something i'm definately going to pick up. It looks brilliant.

It sounds right up my alley too...I've added it to my 'To Read' list. All I need to do now is somehow track down an in-print copy, because English language editions seem to be pretty rare. Amazon seem to stock it though.

Martin said:
It sounds right up my alley too...I've added it to my 'To Read' list. All I need to do now is somehow track down an in-print copy, because English language editions seem to be pretty rare. Amazon seem to stock it though.
Nahh. I didnt have much trouble.
Book Depository. My favourite book store.

Back