Tokyopop Set To Return

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
Recently at Anime LA, Tokyopop CEO Stu Levy revealed that Tokyopop was set to make a return to business in North America.
He explained that Tokyopop had not actually gone bankrupt and instead became a virtual company whilst he spent 2012 rebuilding it.
The North American division had closed down in Spring 2011, but its German division continued as usual. Now the North America website is back online, with various books on offer, as well as e-books.
Source: Comic Beat

Maybe they can finally finish releasing Lupin III Most Wanted. Out of the 23 volumes they released there was only 3 left. I doubt it though.

Erm, this is rather old news. He was saying this in 2011/12. If that man told me the sun was shining outside I'd have to look out the window to varify it, and seeing as some of their licenses are being rescued by other companies I don't believe a word of it.

Mohawk52 said:
Erm, this is rather old news. He was saying this in 2011/12. If that man told me the sun was shining outside I'd have to look out the window to varify it, and seeing as some of their licenses are being rescued by other companies I don't believe a word of it.

Didn't they also start using any random translator they could find and not paying them particularly well near the end? I'd not want to see that again.

I don't really see how it'd be viable to have them back in today's market, liscences have been lost and others have stepped up and overall the market is smaller.

MaxonTreik said:
Mohawk52 said:
Erm, this is rather old news. He was saying this in 2011/12.
And he said this last weekend, which is what this article is about. Not to mention their website is back up.

Well the website is indeed back, lets see what if anything they can do.

You have to wonder though, Viz, Yen & Kondasha have deals that mean they have a lock on a lot of titles and Seven Seas presumably snag the choicest titles that are not locked up. What can they liscence that is worth actually selling?

Urgh how long before Stu gets bored of manga again and decides to go make a show about weeaboo hunting or something? I will more than likely not buy anything from them.

st_owly said:
Urgh how long before Stu gets bored of manga again and decides to go make a show about weeaboo hunting or something? I will more than likely not buy anything from them.

This is a fairly good point to be honest, assuming they get anything woth buying will they stay the course?

Maybe this is why my wish list listing of Elemental Gelade Volume 13 on amazon had gone back on preorder. maybe they are planning to finish off some of the series they had failed to finish.

GreenTango said:
Maybe this is why my wish list listing of Elemental Gelade Volume 13 on amazon had gone back on preorder. maybe they are planning to finish off some of the series they had failed to finish.

That'd be nice, as I recall there were a fair number of titles that are just a few volumes off being done

This is nice news. Ok most of their best licenses have gone to other companies. But they will be able to pick up new ones so that will increase the amount of manga available in the uk

Or, they can not and let Viz, Kadokawa and Yen Press do what they've been doing.

(Really, the only way TP is going to get anywhere with me is upstaging Viz's pathetic Digital efforts)

Fine, But when I can continue getting the rest of "Gakuen Alice". and "Good Witch Of The West" then maybe I'll forget his poncing about, maybe. I'll believe it when I see it. :roll:

Finishing D.N.Angel and reprinting Gosick for less than £100 would be nice.
I'm sure there's something else I was collecting that was never finished too, and a number of series I never completed and are now OOP.

Back