Today's bandwidth issues resolved

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Bandwidth Exceeded

Apologies to anyone who couldn't access the site last night, it seems we maxed out our allotted monthly bandwidth. This is actually a good sign, it shows the site is growing past it's old boundaries. So yeah, everything should be fine now! Enjoy ;)

Ferkin' hell, what's your bandwidth usage limit?! The site's not media-intensive at all, and you still manage to exceed it!

i suppose it is a good sign so congrats are in order. good work Paul. :)

as an aside, is your own site up again then, Videl?

Richy said:
Ferkin' hell, what's your bandwidth usage limit?! The site's not media-intensive at all, and you still manage to exceed it!

We're on 6GB a month at the moment. We survived for almost a year on 4GB but over the last 3 or 4 months, traffic has continued to go up and with the addition of these forums (and especially their image gallery), our bandwidth is slowly creeping up. I blame the damn search engine bots! ;)

What exactly are the search engine bots? I remember coming here one day and there must have been at least 50 or more where it shows the online registered users

I pay around £30 a year, you can do the math for 12 months ;) It's a good deal, especially for a growing, content driven website like ourselves.

i'm with lycos and they give a puny database size of 1MB (my forum takes up 5MB!) but it's only £5 per month and 7GB bandwidth which is more than enough for me. i'm sure there are a lot of better deals out there but i was too much of a noob at the time to shop around. :oops:

Videl said:
£5 for 1mb or space and 7gb of bw???

talk bout rip off

i got 5gig of space and 20 gig of bw for that price lol
the database is only 1MB (they don't seem to have caught onto the fact that i've exceeded it!) but my total disc space is 600MB, which is more than enough for a load of html pages and a few jpegs. it's surprising actually how much bandwidth is eaten up by a forum...maybe i should stop waffling then. :oops:

We breached our bandwidth limit again today; that makes two months in a row now. I hope to be upgrading to 10GB p/month sooner rather than later (we're currently limited to 7.5GB).

This month has been particularly good for us, with linkage from both Anime News Network and Nausicaa.net as well as the excitement surround the London Expo announcements pushing us over the edge.

Also, I took today's downtime as an opportunity to introduce a few new features to the forums. Firstly, we've stopped allowing people to use images in their signatures- they are often too big, look messy and deform the page as well as give people with slower internet connections a hard time loading up the pages. I hope no one is too disappointed by this.

The other feature is a "merge" threads modification. Sometimes we get duplicate threads posted in different forums (especially with me posting news), so this was something needed sooner or later.

So nothing major, just a few tweaks :) I hope you had a nice break during our time off! ;)

Just added another feature to the forums - you can now search these forums using Google; check out the search page for a better understanding :)

Back