"Tiger & Bunny" Live-Action Movie In Development

Ath

Pokémon Master
When most anime fans flock to the New York Comic Con, they might be expecting distributors of anime and manga to reveal which titles they plan on localising for English-speaking markets, but this year, fans were met with the surprise announcement of an adapted release they might not have expected.

<strong>Tiger and Bunny</strong>&nbsp;cleverly combined the worlds of reality television with comic book heroes when Sunrise's television anime series was first broadcast in 2011 and following two theatrically-released animated instalments, Apollon Media's Wild Tiger and Barnaby Brooks Jr. will now be trying to be crowned King Of Heroes at the global box office, where they will no doubt face stiff&nbsp;competition from the likes of Marvel Studios' Iron Man and Warner Bros.' Batman.

The feature film will be produced by&nbsp;Imagine Entertainment and All Nippon Works, with Ron Howard (<strong>The Da Vinci Code</strong>), Brian Grazer producing&nbsp;alongside Sandy Climan and Annmarie Bailly from ANEW, as well as&nbsp;Masayuki Ozaki from Bandai Namco Pictures.

Kaz&eacute; Entertainment describes the series as follows:

Sternbild City is home to people called Next, who use their special abilities to protect the people as superheroes. These heroes solve cases and save lives so they can wear sponsor logos or acquire hero points.Their activities are documented on the popular program Hero TV, which picks the King of Heroes in a yearly ranking. The veteran hero Wild Tiger has always preferred to work alone, but now he's been assigned the rookie Barnaby Brooks Jr., who has a different perspective on being a superhero.&nbsp;

Manga Entertainment released the original television anime in the United Kingdom on behalf of Kaz&eacute; Entertainment, while the two theatrical features <strong>Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning</strong>&nbsp;and <strong>Tiger & Bunny: The Rising&nbsp;</strong>are available courtesy of Anime Limited.

Source

When most anime fans flock to the New York Comic Con, they might be expecting distributors of anime and manga to reveal which titles they plan on localising for English-speaking markets, but this year, fans were met with surprising announcement of a different type of adapted release.

<strong>Tiger and Bunny</strong>&nbsp;cleverly combined the worlds of reality television with comic book heroes when Sunrise's television anime series was first broadcast in 2011 and following two theatrically-released animated instalments, Apollon Media's Wild Tiger and Barnaby Brooks Jr. will now be trying to be crowned King Of Heroes at the global box office, where they will no doubt face tough competition from Marvel Studios' Iron Man and Warner Bros.' Batman.

Ron Howard (<strong>The Da Vinci Code</strong>) is currently set to direct the feature, which will be produced at Imagine Entertainment. Brian Grazer and&nbsp;Ron Howard will produce the feature alongside Sandy Climan and Annmarie Bailly from All Nippon Entertainment Works, as well as&nbsp;Masayuki Ozaki from Bandai Namco Pictures.

Kaz&eacute; Entertainment describes the series as follows:

Sternbild City is home to people called Next, who use their special abilities to protect the people as superheroes. These heroes solve cases and save lives so they can wear sponsor logos or acquire hero points.Their activities are documented on the popular program Hero TV, which picks the King of Heroes in a yearly ranking. The veteran hero Wild Tiger has always preferred to work alone, but now he's been assigned the rookie Barnaby Brooks Jr., who has a different perspective on being a superhero.&nbsp;

Manga Entertainment released the original television anime in the United Kingdom on behalf of Kaz&eacute; Entertainment, while the two theatrical features <strong>Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning</strong>&nbsp;and <strong>Tiger & Bunny: The Rising&nbsp;</strong>are available courtesy of Anime Limited.

Re:

I recently watched Tiger & Bunny, despite owning it since it came out over here, and it was bloody wonderful. Can't see a live action version having the same kind of charm but I'd give it a go.

Re: Re:

I was reading through some comments and someone said much will rely on whoever they cast as Tiger & I have to agree, he's a charismatic idiot who means well & that needs to come through in a live action adaption. He has to be lovable and likable.

I'd accept Charlie Hunnam as Bunny, he's got the look... just saying :wink:

Re:

I almost got excited imagining something like the existing stage play and then I read the news properly. Hmm. It could be decent, but the chances are massively stacked against it.

R

Re:

I don't know, if you were looking for "hot anime property" you probably wouldn't have gone for Tiger & Bunny. So the fact Imagine has optioned it suggests a degree of thought has actually gone into the decision.

Re:

It's a genre that has proven appeal in the West, so there's a lot less to be 'lost in translation', especially as Tiger and Bunny has a US sensibility to to its setting in the first place. It might be a supersaturated genre, going up against DC and Marvel, but the reality TV angle should be good. The old guy young turk pairing has always worked since Lethal Weapon, Men in Black and the like. I never really rated Hancock, which tried something along those lines, while the advertising angle worked for Mystery Men. It's been over ten years since that movie, so Tiger and Bunny could go for that vibe without feeling unoriginal at this point.

Re: Re:

Considering that half of the main heroes are Caucasian anyway, I hope that this is one adaptation where Hollywood maintains the ethnicities of the characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Ken Watanabe is cast as Kotetsu T. Kaburagi; mainly because he's probably the most prolific Japanese actor in Hollywood and they'll obviously want a big name to carry the movie (alongside whoever they cast as Barnaby Brooks Jr.) and he's actually a similar age to Kotetsu. I imagine that Robert Redford would have made an amazing Albert Maverick; if only he hadn't basically played the same character in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Just Passing Through said:
It's a genre that has proven appeal in the West, so there's a lot less to be 'lost in translation', especially as Tiger and Bunny has a US sensibility to to its setting in the first place. It might be a supersaturated genre, going up against DC and Marvel, but the reality TV angle should be good. The old guy young turk pairing has always worked since Lethal Weapon, Men in Black and the like. I never really rated Hancock, which tried something along those lines, while the advertising angle worked for Mystery Men. It's been over ten years since that movie, so Tiger and Bunny could go for that vibe without feeling unoriginal at this point.
I think the over-saturation of the superhero genre and the sheer size and market domination of Marvel's Cinematic Universe and, by the time of release, DC's Expanded Universe, will do more harm to this movie than its niche source material to be honest. Especially as the big players in the superhero movie genre are already experimenting with different angles to try and diversify the type of content, such as Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant-Man and the recently announced Damage Control series.

Re: "Tiger & Bunny" Live-Action Movie In Development

I don't know if the "heroes" thing has really burned out yet, if we keep getting surprises like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man then I think they could keep up the momentum (though the sequels to those could be a deciding factor). I think Tiger & Bunny has plenty of potential to make for a great movie if they put the effort into it and it would be nice if it brought more people to anime as a side-effect.

Realistically, I wouldn't think the chances of it turning out great and being successful are too high but I'd like to hope it works out.

Back