Those Without Harem and Stereotypes

elaniel

Vampire Ninja
Difficult how to word this thread title, so if anyone thinks of one more appropriate let me know. :)

I've been thinking how few shows there have been lately that do not rely on very specific stereotypes (tsundere, moe, harem).

The shows I enjoy are so far and few between as I am not a fan of these types. There are shows which are hugely popular yet I did not like. Some of these include Bakemonogatari, Clannad, and Toradora (something puts me off this).

I know that everyone has different tastes, but I feel I'm missing out as there are so many people talking about how great certain shows are. Then when I try to watch them I get put off, almost like I'm missing something.

So thought I would create a thread for those that are not a fan of these types of shows.
What are your favorite shows, recommendations for others, and even discussion on them.

I could be a slight hypocrite, as some of my favorites have hints of these character types, but it's not the sole focus of the character.

Here are mine:
Slayers
Great sword and sorcery, enjoyable story, and comedy. I wish more shows had comedy throughout like Slayers does as I need more than just that in them.

Scrapped Princess
Epic adventure, I wish this would be license rescued as I would love to own this again after selling it off many years ago.

Record of Lodoss War
In my opinion, the best fantasy show ever made. It's dark, it's adventure, the characters are great and there's a proper sense of peril throughout. Even Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (which isn't as good) is still absolutely brilliant. Not sure I've mentioned, but I want Anime Limited to license it!

Utena
One of my first anime. The music appealed to me, as did the dueling and characters. The story certainly takes some turns, especially the movie.

Bubblegum Crisis (and Tokyo 2040)
Cyberpunk power rangers? What's not to like. :)

Evangelion
Dark, thought provoking, I love the twists of religion it plays on. Characters are great too, even Shinji.

Hellsing Ultimate
Blood, blood, and more blood.

Black Lagoon
The only thing better than pirates is space pirates...

Nadesico
What can I say. Such a fun series that's virtually impossible to describe. Every type of character trait here, but all done in such a unique way. I like me a good space opera too.

I know how you feel I don't mind them so much but I realllllllllllly love to see something new and something that will make me think about things

Death note...

Makes you think what justice is.

Monster....

What is really going on and what is the really meaning behind johan.

Fate zero....

What does it mean to be a leader and battle between ideals.

Higarashi....

Has the stereotypes but is very very very diffrent.

Tiger and bunny.

Wow no teenagers or school just super hero's.

Trigun...

Wild wild west.

Attack on titan.

Haven't seen it yet but I hear it's different.

I don't know what you've seen, so it's a little hard to suggest stuff. I'll just list a few series based on what you liked:

Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Jormungand
Ronin Warriors
Michiko to Hatchin
Phantom:Requiem for the Phantom
Baccano
Gankutsuou
Mawaru Penguindrum
Princess Tutu

A few series I really liked are:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. One of, it not, the greatest anime series of all time. Amazing Space Opera.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. The manliest of men, in the manliest of poses.
Ping Pong The Animation. Best anime of 2014, and one of the greatest sports series ever.
The Tatami Galaxy
Natsume Yuujinchou
Mushishi
Aria the Animation

OT: There should be a thread for people to post their MyAnimeList/Anilist accounts.

Sticking to your remit is petty tricky OP. I'm another view who isn't too fussy, but I can agree that stereotyping and cliche is a touch prevalent. I've not bought any more than maybe 5 new titles in the last 3 years largely for the stereotyping, but there are a few titles that might fall into some of the types that are still worth your time, giving something different or at least different enough not to be boring.

You're Under Arrest
Two female cops and their colleagues and the mad cap misadventures. Funny as hell and very underrated (and difficult to come by) with a genuine heart to it. There is a fanservice episode at the end.

Riding Bean

Straight up action with plenty of wit and humor. There is a moment nudity and a strongly suggestive moment, but nothing more that character background. Other than that everything is very straight and exciting. Well worth tracking down if you can source it for less than £20

Wings of Honnemiesse

Big drama (with some good humor) space adventure with a heart warming story that is rarely seen. Again will be tricky to source, but suggestion is afoot that there may be a release on these shores eventually.

Angelic Layer

A bit of a left field suggestion due to it's cutesy kid against adversity schlock however it avoids the worst excesses to give a very watchable series that is well paced and remarkable compelling. There is little to no angst, no harem and just innocent fun.

Roujin Z

Heart warming and bizarre. You really just need to see it.

Redline.

If the worst excesses of stories and contrived setups an exposition annoy you, this is a very welcome relief as the story is minimal (There are typical characters following typical roles, but doing nothing clever or unexpected). There is fanservice where fanservice isn't entirely inappropriate or uncalled for and no harem nonsense. It is a very funny anime, but that isn't its strength. Just turn down the lights, pump up the volume and enjoy the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t26m_Q6ENo

This is all I'm going to leave you with for now. I'll keep looking for more and get in touch later.:)

Back