The "Recommend Me A New Anime/Manga" Thread

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
You've probably got plenty to be going on with, but as another person who doesn't hold much with the 'cute girls doing cute things' approach, I'd recommend giving Sexy Commando a shot.

Despite sounding like a hentai series, it's actually an incredibly off the wall show about an idiotic martial artist that relies entirely on bizarre, non-sequitor humour. It's an acquired taste, but the episodes are only 10 minutes long, so even if you don't like it, it's not a big commitment.

alexrose1uk

Straw Hat Pirate
bakum4tsu said:
Maybe that's what alexrose1uk was talking about

Nope I recommended Seitokai Yakuindomo because of the level of innuendo based humour...and the guy's the straight laced one! If its your sort of humour, it's a very funny show.

Detroit Metal City is also pretty random.

teonzo

Straw Hat Pirate
I've seen some anime on offer (Italian editions), they are:

Brain Powerd - 16 euro
Ai City (movie) - 5 euro
Locke The Superman (movie) - 2 euro
Swan Lake (movie) - 7 euro
Shamanic Princess (OVA) - 3 euro
Nazca - 7 euro
Hand Maid May - 7 euro
Strawberry Eggs - 4 euro
Strange Dawn - 8 euro
Nurse Nanako - 6 euro
Gall Force (3 DVDs, so I suppose it includes all the OVAs) - 7 euro
Fake (OVA) - 6 euro

Anything worth buying?
I'm pretty sure I watched Swan Lake, Ai City and Gall Force ages ago but this is the only thing I remember, maybe this indicates they left me cold.

Teo

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
teonzo said:
I've seen some anime on offer (Italian editions), they are:

Brain Powerd - 16 euro
Ai City (movie) - 5 euro
Swan Lake (movie) - 7 euro
Shamanic Princess (OVA) - 3 euro
Nazca - 7 euro
Hand Maid May - 7 euro
Strawberry Eggs - 4 euro
Strange Dawn - 8 euro
Nurse Nanako - 6 euro
Gall Force (3 DVDs, so I suppose it includes all the OVAs) - 7 euro
Fake (OVA) - 6 euro

Anything worth buying?

Shamanic Princess is definitely worth 3 euros if you can tolerate stylish girly designs. Fake has some boys love themes, so if you don't like that kind of thing, avoid that one. It's quite fun otherwise in a fluffy, pointless way.

I cannot stand Gall Force.

R

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
Rui said:
if you are familiar with the Bakumatsu period, which I'm guessing you are
I knew they called you Rui - Internet Sleuth for a reason. :p

Hayate No Gotoku from ilmaestro's list is also worth a second look. The characters are very cute and annoying-looking (sorry)
But why would you... щ(゚Д゚щ)

teonzo

Straw Hat Pirate
Zin5ki said:
teonzo said:
Brain Powerd - 16 euro

With English subtitles they would fetch a pretty penny.

Unfortunately for you these offers on Amazon.it have only Japanese + Italian audio and Italian subtitles. If they had English subtitles I would have reported them in the sales thread. By the way, thanks, I'll get these ones.

Rui said:
Shamanic Princess is definitely worth 3 euros if you can tolerate stylish girly designs.

Not a problem about this, so I'll add this title too, thanks.

Rui said:
Fake has some boys love themes, so if you don't like that kind of thing, avoid that one. It's quite fun otherwise in a fluffy, pointless way.

Not my cup of tea, I'll pass.

Teo

ayase

State Alchemist
Rui said:
I cannot stand Gall Force.
You terrible person.

It's not a great work of genius by any stretch of the imagination, but I think Gall Force is a good fun little sci-fi show the likes of which we rarely (if ever) see any more. Sure there are strong female characters and weak female characters and none of them are very deep, but at least they aren't reduced to gratuitous gainaxing, blushing and panty shots like most shows with all female main casts these days. And they aren't all fifteen. Kenichi Sonoda's always excellent character designs are just the cherry on the plain but satisfying cake - at least they are for me.

Y-San

Shinki
As young Maes has already made clear, Strike Witches is certainly entertainment of the highest caliber. You could call, a "reconstruction" of the mecha genre. Like, what if we took the machines and made then so important but have them only appear for five minutes of the show, since they are little more than tool. And instead focus not on how useful these tools are but the people who use them, both with and away from these machines.

Of course, to argue that Strike Witches as a whole has improved the mecha genre for the better without touching on the blatant use of underwear is like offering a guest crackers but without the cheese to accompany it. Sure the cracker tastes fine on its own but with the cheese it becomes substantially better. With both SoL and mecha combined into one package, its practically nailed two different groups of fans at once. And if you don't like one, there is always the other.

What I'm trying to say is that you can watch Strike Witches for the fighting and the action, of which, there is limited but plentiful amounts, however, if you can bare through fan service and still come out smiling, then you're probably going to get on fine with it.

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
Kyaku said:
Of course, to argue that Strike Witches as a whole has improved the mecha genre for the better without touching on the blatant use of underwear is like offering a guest crackers but without the cheese to accompany it.
:lol:

You've been waiting for your chance to really go to town on this, haven't you?

Y-San

Shinki
Joshawott said:
Just for the epic scale of that description, I'll have to check it out xD

Now, to get FUNimation or MangaUK's release...

Eh, if you're not overly fussed about PAL conversions and can't get the Funi thin pack set that comes with the patch, you're probably best to go for the Manga release. Same for season two, if you get that far, since most of Funimation's releases lately have been "upscaled from a SD source".

ilmaestro said:
Kyaku said:
Of course, to argue that Strike Witches as a whole has improved the mecha genre for the better without touching on the blatant use of underwear is like offering a guest crackers but without the cheese to accompany it.
:lol:

You've been waiting for your chance to really go to town on this, haven't you?
Just a little.