The Normanic Vault - A Blog About Grav Collecting & Showing Stuff Off

Are all the recent Funimation/Manga Ent releases Region B only?
The ones that I own so far have been region locked to B, which is interesting when some of them like RADIANT, The Rising of the Shield Hero and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime are AB in the American release.

The ones that I own so far have been region locked to B, which is interesting when some of them like RADIANT, The Rising of the Shield Hero and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime are AB in the American release.
Makes sense. Madman can use the US discs to save money, but since they have to press new discs for the UK anyway and our releases are cheaper, they can deter US importers.

More Unboxing Redux posts added to the blog:

s2EkNtWh.jpg

Akira (Collector's Edition 2016 ver. Blu-ray & DVD)
More photos here. Released in November 2016, originally unboxed in December 2016.
Original Blogger version for comparison.

9sm41G2h.jpg

Ninja Scroll (Collector's Edition Steelbook Blu-ray & DVD)
More photos here. Released in November 2012, originally unboxed in May 2013.

ifkmecih.jpg

Perfect Blue (Collector's Edition Blu-ray & DVD)
More photos here. Released in November 2013, originally unboxed in November 2013.

More unboxings added to the blog:

QdZCLXXh.jpg

Dragon Lord (First Print Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in August 2020, acquired through Amazon UK.

nCkgdayh.jpg

The Fearless Hyena (First Print Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in August 2020, acquired through Amazon UK.

EGMksrOh.jpg

Magic Knight Rayearth Part 2 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in August 2020, acquired through Anime Limited.

140hz3xh.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in September 2020, acquired through Anime Limited.

1MQ71qhh.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in August 2020, acquired through MVM's Anime-on-Line.

More misc. stuff added to the blog:

IZDXZWBl.png

November 2020 Solicitations for US Anime Home Video Releases
More stuff here. Check out the latest anime releases coming from Funimation and Sentai, with Discotek updating later.

And a quick update on all things Grav hauls:
  • The current unboxing schedule as follows:
    • October 2020:
      • KonoSuba - God's Blessing in this Wonderful World! Season 1 (CE)
    • November 2020:
      • Weathering With You (DE Variant Version)
  • The hauls from here on will be smaller, but to make up for it I will try and go for a variety i.e. a book, an anime, a game, an Asian film etc.
  • The new shelf in my room is now up, but you'll have to wait until this December for the next Complete Otaku Collection update!
On another note, don't forget I have a whole page on my blog dedicated to upcoming UK anime releases and Asian Cinema releases so you can see what is coming up!

DqNIywhh.jpg

Mysteria Friends (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in August 2020, from MVM's competition.

More misc. stuff added to the blog:

xbsYHYph.jpg

Otaku Collection Haul for August 2020
More stuff here. Every anime, Asian film, light novel and video game that I had picked up during that month.

December 2020 Solicitations for US Anime Home Video Releases
More stuff here. Check out the latest anime releases coming from Funimation and Sentai, with Discotek updating later.

Q4 2020 Solicitations for UK Anime Home Video Releases
More stuff here. Check out the latest anime releases coming from Anime Limited, Manga Entertainment and MVM. All titles listed include price comparisons between Amazon, Anime-on-Line, Anime Limited and United Publications.

• October 2020:
      • Birthday Wonderland (CE)
      • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (CE) Tentative
      • KonoSuba - God's Blessing in this Wonderful World! Season 1 (CE)
      • Sword Art Online: Alicization Part 1 (CE) Tentative
      • Tamako Market & Tamako Love Story (CE) Tentative
      • Turn-A Gundam Part 1 (CE) Tentative
    • November 2020:
    • December 2020:
      • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED HD Remaster (UE)
  • September 2020 was sacrificed due to delays in funding, which has mostly been resolved for the time being. The October to December hauls should proceed at a solid pace though will be smaller depending on how expensive some titles will be.

I've updated the Q4 2020 UK post to include the latest updates from Anime Limited. I also want to point out that currently a lot of the upcoming titles from Manga Entertainment are actually cheaper to acquire through United Publications especially if you were after prices that are on par with what MVM's 20% off sale would usually go for.

Very handy post there @NormanicGrav, didn’t realise the DB Super Collector’s edition was £30ish cheaper on UP1 than Amazon. I still need to order the upcoming Manga LEs and may well get those from UP1.

Very handy post there @NormanicGrav, didn’t realise the DB Super Collector’s edition was £30ish cheaper on UP1 than Amazon. I still need to order the upcoming Manga LEs and may well get those from UP1.
Considering MVM currently don't have any plans to offer a 20% off sale for this month, going the UP1 route is probably the best option at this point. I'll likely order ARIFURETA through UP1 first and see if another MVM sale occurs during Bonfire weekend for Dr Stone and Cautious Hero.

Considering MVM currently don't have any plans to offer a 20% off sale for this month, going the UP1 route is probably the best option at this point. I'll likely order ARIFURETA through UP1 first and see if another MVM sale occurs during Bonfire weekend for Dr Stone and Cautious Hero.
Sounds like a plan - I may do the same.

Placing this here because it's more so relevant to my own sort of stuff (and I was bored), but basically I was curious to see how much folks would pay for an anime based on its Suggested Retail Price level. At the moment Anime Limited, Manga and MVM generally use £39.99 as its base level for dub/sub.

The results so far are rather interesting.

Last edited:
Two different notes!

First of all, that Twitter poll I made on the UK SRP pricing turned out better than I had anticipated. With over 70 votes so far at the time of this post.

The second note is that I have been making some adjustments to my current and older unboxings on my WordPress Normanic Vault blog. The specification section which used to be a brief list is now revamped in table format for easier viewing. This works really well for complex specs such as 88 Films' Dragons Forever which had 3 different versions of the film across 2 Blu-ray discs. You can see the comparison below between the old layout (left) to the new layout (right):

eOTLT4Gh.jpg

PwxzTd4h.jpg

Konosuba: God's Blessing in this Wonderful World! Season 1 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in October 2020, acquired from Anime Limited's store.

More misc. notes:

Q4 2020 Solicitations for UK Anime Home Video Releases has been updated with more finalised UK anime artwork, more listings for United Publications and a few release date adjustments.

• October 2020:
      • ARIFURETA: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Season 1 (LE)
      • Birthday Wonderland (CE)
    • November 2020:
      • Turn-A Gundam Part 1 (CE)
      • Violet Evergarden (CE)
    • December 2020:
      • Turn-A Gundam Part 2 (CE)
  • The Tentative titles basically mean they were ordered through Amazon and whether it will dispatch in the end is not certain.
  • More manga is incoming. World's End Harem volumes 5 & 7 have arrived while volumes 4 & 6 have dispatched from Blackwells. Condition for WEH 5 & 7 are pretty good (some corners of the pages are bent but can be fixed when placing the volume on the shelf to flatten it).
  • The situation with my funding is partially resolved as I have my deposit back to continue the hauls. The student loan is the only thing left to sort out (to take care of the bills and Xmas gifts in the coming months).

The poll that I ran last week about suggested retail pricing (SRP) concluded with 100 votes. Because anime releases nowadays generally comes with an SRP £39.99 tag I figured I ask folks what their preferred price would be in general for a 12-13 episode series. The options I chose were the more realistic ones ranging from the current state (£39.99) to three others (£34.99, £29.99, £24.99). These price points have also been applied to various Manga Entertainment releases in the past year so there is a difference in terms of owning it. Now SRP doesn't mean you have to buy anime at that price point, as online retailers do discount them by about 20-40% less though it helps to have lower SRPs so that websites such as Amazon make anime more affordable.

Therefore after 100 votes we ended up with the following results:
  • 6% chose the current price range of £39.99 which I do question these individuals a fair bit. It is clear that this price range was not chosen by a majority as it does not discount well across multiple retailers. I don't like it either as it's not worth the value for the content you get. Examples of releases at this current price point include Dr. STONE, Golden Kamuy, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, The Rising of the Shield Hero and dozens more.
  • 16% chose the slightly lower price range of £34.99. This has been used a few times across the UK distributors for instance with Anime Limited's collector's edition films or even standard edition releases after a few more years. Manga also applied this price tag for Goblin Slayer, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Mob Psycho 100 and Steins;Gate 0 releases, and most of Anime Limited's titles after double-checking are also priced at this amount.
  • 35% chose the lowest price range of £24.99. This result I am honestly surprised did not win the poll because you think the cheapest option would be the most preferred, but it seems there are those out there that are willing to spend more for their favourite series. Some titles are priced at this range though this is mainly for either films (Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Arrow of the Orion), small on-going part releases (Black Clover) or a re-release (My Hero Academia Season 1).
  • 43% chose the middle ground of £29.99 which is also the same price range being used for a few Manga Entertainment releases this quarter with Cautious Hero, Fire Force Part 2 and The Quintessential Quintuplets Season 1 releases. This is personally my preferred price point for seasonal anime. In fact Manga's releases in 2019 until early 2020 were priced at this range before the SRP spiked up to £39.99.
Overall, a fun little poll to make. Hopefully distributors notice and realise not everyone wants to spend almost £40 on a regular edition anime set. That's just my opinion of course.

More Unboxing posts added to the blog:

B5N1avhh.jpg

Birthday Wonderland (Collector's Edition Blu-ray & DVD)
More photos here. Released in October 2020, acquired from Anime Limited's store.

A21wmN8h.jpg

Spiritual Kung Fu (First Print Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in October 2020, acquired from 88 Film's store.

Revolutionary Girl Utena unboxing has been updated to feature Nozomi Entertainment Ultra Edition items for those interested.

lsJx8S1h.jpg

A Silent Voice (Collector's Edition 2017 ver. Blu-ray & DVD)
More photos here. Released in October 2017, originally unboxed in December 2017.
9E4OHxnh.jpg

FwQWm8dh.jpg

Sword Art Online II Parts 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray & DVD)
More photos here. Released in September 2015 (Part 1), December 2015 (Part 2), April 2016 (Part 3) & June 2016 (Part 4), originally unboxed in April 2016 (Part 1), November 2016 (Part 2), and June 2017 (Parts 3 & 4).
Original Blogger version for Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4 for comparison.
d036wUXh.jpg

Upj3cl3h.jpg

d9Whu5hh.jpg

Jt3dB6Sh.jpg

NfVplqph.jpg

Your Name (Deluxe Edition Blu-ray & DVD)
More photos here. Released in November 2017, originally unboxed in November 2017.
ZX7vtfMh.jpg

More misc. notes:

• October 2020:
    • November 2020:
      • Violet Evergarden (CE)
    • December 2020:
      • Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Part 1 (CE)
  • The Tentative titles have moved forward on their dispatch windows, but I'm keeping it tentative in case of any last minute changes.
  • More manga is incoming. Plus-Sized Elf Volumes 4 & 5, Vol. 5 will arrive first before 4.
  • More video games incoming with Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen.
  • The funding situation has finally been resolved after a month of issues. This means future bills (and presents for Xmas) are now set in stone and I have a clearer picture on the additional funds remaining for securing future hauls.

AT4dH8xh.jpg

Sword Art Online: Alicization Part 1 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in October 2020, acquired from Amazon UK.

1UHetA2h.jpg

Tamako Market & Love Story (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in October 2020, acquired from Amazon UK.

PdwBWvVh.jpg

Kill la Kill Parts 1, 2 & 3 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in November 2014 (Part 1), March 2015 (Part 2) & June 2015 (Part 3), originally unboxed in October 2014 (Part 1), April 2015 (Part 2), and May 2015 (Part 3).
Original Blogger version for Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 for comparison.
5F6Z8zth.jpg

2nNAff8h.jpg

JJFyydhh.jpg

EZ38y0ih.jpg

More misc. notes:

ElWcQvxWMAUWyw8

January 2021 Solicitations for US Anime Home Video Releases

• November 2020:
      • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (CE)
      • Shaolin Wooden Men (FPE)
      • Violet Evergarden (CE)
    • December 2020:
  • The manga titles ordered (Plus-Sized Elf Volumes 4 & 5) are still on the way.
  • More video games incoming with Date A Live: Rio Reincarnation.

2fiOZ1Sh.jpg

My Hero Academia Season 2 (Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in October 2020, acquired from MVM's Anime-on-line.

My Hero Academia the Movie: Heroes Rising (Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in October 2020, acquired from MVM's Anime-on-line.

89P88N7h.jpg

Shaolin Wooden Men (First Print Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in October 2020, acquired from 88 Films.

More misc. notes:

jU2PsQdl.jpg

February 2021 Solicitations for US Anime Home Video Releases
More stuff here. Check out the latest anime releases coming from Funimation, with Discotek & Sentai updating later.

sU1v2BVh.jpg

Otaku Collection Haul for October 2020
More stuff here. Every anime, Asian film, manga and video game that I had picked up during that month.

• November 2020:
      • Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious (LE)
      • Mobile Suit Gundam NT (CE)
      • Violet Evergarden (CE)
    • December 2020:
      • Dr. STONE Season 1 Part 1
      • Dr. STONE Season 1 Part 2 (LE)
      • Sword Art Online: Alicization Part 2 (CE)
    • January 2021:
  • Delays delays delays. This month's haul is going to be smaller than anticipated. To make up for it, I may acquire some more manga books to catch up on that part but also look into the Manga Entertainment Zavvi sale.

uYfsdBVh.jpg

Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious (Limited Edition Blu-ray & DVD)
More photos here. Released in November 2020, acquired from MVM's Anime-on-line.

9wPgTvOh.jpg

Turn A Gundam Parts 1 & 2 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in December 2020 & January 2021, acquired from Anime Limited.

More misc. notes:

1jULTV8l.png

Anime Limited & MVM's 12 Days of Christmas 2020 Sales
More stuff here. A recap and list of every anime on offer from 1st December to 12th December 2020.

tUvn7Mih.jpg

Otaku Collection Haul for November 2020
More stuff here. Every anime, Asian film, and manga that I had picked up during that month.

• December 2020:
      • ??? (CE)
      • ??? (CE)
      • ??? (CE)
      • ??? (CE)
      • ??? (CE)
      • The Promised Neverland Season 1 (CE)
      • Sword Art Online: Alicization Part 2 (CE)
    • January 2021:
      • Cyber City Oedo 808 (CE)
      • Violet Evergarden (CE)
    • February 2021:
      • Planetes (CE)
    • 2021:
  • Dr. STONE Season 1 Part 1 arrived earlier in the week and will be unboxed with Part 2's limited edition when that arrives.
  • Because my luck is terrible, 3 of the CEs I was after and was hoping would be in the Christmas sale ended up in the bloody mystery box. So if you are one of those folks who wants to sell either KOKKOKU, Silver Spoon or Welcome to the Ballroom Part 1 (preferably the latter) with a price that is not like the ones on eBay, feel free to PM me as I would be interested.

5ob0151h.jpg

KOKKOKU: Moment by Moment (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in June 2019, acquired from eBay.

8y8AeqBh.jpg

Silver Spoon Season 1 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in June 2019, acquired from eBay.

JTT3BdPh.jpg

Sword Art Online: Alicization Part 2 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray)
More photos here. Released in December 2020, acquired from Anime Limited.

• December 2020:
      • Ajin: Demi-Human Season 2 (CE)
      • ??? (CE)
      • Castle Town Dandelion
      • ??? (CE)
      • ??? (CE)
      • ??? (CE)
      • The Eccentric Family
      • Giovanni's Island (UE)
      • Girlish Number
      • Heavy Object Parts 1 & 2
      • Love & Lies
      • Love, Election & Chocolate
      • Photo Kano
      • The Promised Neverland Season 1 (CE)
      • Seven Mortal Sins
      • Welcome to the Ballroom Part 1 (CE)
    • January 2021:
      • Cyber City Oedo 808 (CE)
      • Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (CE)
      • Millennium Actress (CE)
      • Violet Evergarden (CE)
    • February 2021:
      • Planetes (CE)
    • 2021:
  • Castle Town Dandelion, Giovanni's Island, Heavy Object, The Promised Neverland and Welcome to the Ballroom Part 1 are on their way.

Last edited:
Back