The Host

Hovis!

Vampire Ninja
Has anyone seen the excellent South Korean film The Host? If so what did peeps think of it?

I thought it was excellent. Very funny in places, good creature design and stinging satire!

Thought I'd share that.

Yup. I imported The Host from South Korea because they were good enough to include English subtitles on their DVDs. Indeed, it's a very good "monster" movie with some interesting subtext and slightly brutal streak (I can't believe they killed the little girl!) too.

The effects used on the creature are great too, certainly up to modern Hollywood standards. My favourite scene is probably right at the start when the monster first attacks in perfect daylight and sweeps through a massive crowd of people. You rarely see something as up front and just blatant as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was decent, I remember seeing previes for it when I saw New Police story.

The X Files episode of the same name was better though. ;)

Renting it next week, I can't wait to see it, read a review a while a go and thought it sounded an looked amazing.

Its a Monster Movie film made with a decent movie and from what I have heard it has a really creepy feel to it, with the daughter being abducted by a huge monster and then phoning her dad and brother to let them know she is still alive, so they go in search of her where the police and military have failed

Wasn't it released on DVD here and advertised on TV? [I'm sure it may be the same thing, not sure. =X]
Just checked, it is, I'll be interested enough to buy it from HMV, looks rather interesting, to say the least and the TV advertisment really persuaded me to check it out too.

Lupus Inu said:
Wasn't it released on DVD here and advertised on TV? [I'm sure it may be the same thing, not sure. =X]
Just checked, it is, I'll be interested enough to buy it from HMV, looks rather interesting, to say the least and the TV advertisment really persuaded me to check it out too.

Yeah its in Blockbusters to rent at the moment

Thought you might be interested in this:

THE HOST TRAILER

Anyone else get annoyed by how all these trailers try to hide the fact the movie is actually in a different language? They speak more English in that trailer than Korean, which is a fairly sad state of affairs.

It's the same with trailer for the new Wuxia movie "Curse of the Golden Flower" too.

Paul said:
Anyone else get annoyed by how all these trailers try to hide the fact the movie is actually in a different language? They speak more English in that trailer than Korean, which is a fairly sad state of affairs.

It's the same with trailer for the new Wuxia movie "Curse of the Golden Flower" too.

That was like one of the first things I picked up on.

Plus I agree, unecessary really ;'/

Hyaku said:
Paul said:

That was like one of the first things I picked up on.

Plus I agree, unecessary really ;'/

Its a US trailer site, you know the Yanks don't know that people all over the world speak different languages, it would just freak the zenophobes out

Finally got round to watching this and for the most part I liked it although its not a film I could watch more than once.

Monster is quality, love the throwing up and storing food approach

Characters very fun and love the extras taking pics of monster on the rampage

Unfortunately the ending left me feeling empty inside, not wow brilliant what an ending or that sucked, just a feeling on emptiness

Back