The HMV Thread

Re: HMV finally going under?

animefreak17 said:
question

when HMV does go under where do we go * on the high street to buy anime?

Local independent stores & Forbidden Planet.

Which for me, the closest "bricks and mortar" shop which sells anime [bar HMV] is probably Forbidden Planet down in Southampton.

I am distraught that my beloved Market Street one is closing. Iwas hoping it would be one of the few saved since that Canadian bought HMV's debts or whatever. We've had loads of bands play and do meet and greets there. How can they get rid of that 3 floored beauty! It's probably going to be replaced by something crap, basically haha.

-Danielle- said:
I am distraught that my beloved Market Street one is closing. Iwas hoping it would be one of the few saved since that Canadian bought HMV's debts or whatever. We've had loads of bands play and do meet and greets there. How can they get rid of that 3 floored beauty! It's probably going to be replaced by something crap, basically haha.

Most likely it wasn't making a lot of profit.

It might have had sales, but if the rent & other fixed costs of the store were higher than average than it makes sense to axe it.

Depending on it's location something could replace it, or it could become just another empty store.

Two of the three HMV stores near to me are closing, the one in Stockton which was almost always empty as most people went to the local independent record shop a couple of minutes away and Teesside Park which I was surprised at as it was one of the handful of profitable stores that were taken over by HMV when Zavvi went belly up, probably due to the rent at the place, it never has a store empty for long.

At least Middlesbrough still has one, the only place I can buy anything remotely niche in person nearby now that isn't a battered copy via That's Entertainment or CEX.

st_owly said:
That's a good price, Otaku. Might have to go check my local out, although all 5 here in Edinburgh are closing, and when I went to the one on Princes Street earlier today, most of the anime was gone.

Cripes you had five! I've only got one and it's still going :lol:

anyhow it was reasonable, but I guess it's more reasonable that it was a £10 film to a £50 12 episode series

Frankly all else I don't care about it since I get most my music Vinyl, which a) HMV dosn't do any more and b) charges more for something new on CD for what I could get for £2 at most

Edit: also considering it's a Manga ent. title the video quality is properly equivalent to a Chinese bootleg

my HMV on Market Street is getting emptier as the days go by. It's really depressing. So many cleared shelves and now cordoned off sections. Their anime section is now mainly Bleach and Naruto and still typically at their prices which stopped them making sales in the first place! haha.

I know FOPP is basically a sister shop for them but 1. I'm glad they're staying open and 2. I don't get why they're now bumping up their anime prices!!! They were always 50/50 on value and typical high street rip off but even though they've done the BOGOF deal on items with a blue cross, even with the deal we're talking £30 for two boxsets which you could still find cheaper online. I got Ah! My Goddess Season Two for £6 and Bleach Season 7 for £12 from FOPP a couple of months back too! Don't turn into HMV FOPP, noooooooo!

Local HMV closes on Saturday, everything must go.

Got to feel sorry for the staff whom will be on the dole next week.

animefreak17 said:
now know what a fish feels like when its gutted. this how i feel about HMV

jacki+chan+wtf+2.jpg

Back