The General Conversation Area

RadFemHedonist

Pokémon Master
I hope everybody survived the storm today, it took down the front fence at my house but thankfully nothing else.

I'm alive, I'm alive! trips over a chainsaw dangit.

(I'm actually completely fine I was just referencing a joke from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame 😅 )

Sorry about your fence!

WMD

Mad Scientist
I hope everybody survived the storm today, it took down the front fence at my house but thankfully nothing else.
All the trains got cancelled so I had to borrow a pool car from work to be able to get home! On the plus side it meant I didn't have to ride my bike home coz that would've been scary!

DragoStark

Student Council President
Thankfully my boss let me WFH today so I didn't have to drive in that awful weather. I go to the gym in the mornings so my walk there was fine as the winds didn't pick up until after 10amish.
The neighbours fence fell unsurpisingly (old and has fallen before) and a few ceramic things the garden smashed but overall it's fine. Thankfully no powercuts or other issues, just very windy and noisy.

D1tchd1gger

Akatsuki
One of my customers didn't get their shopping because 3 different routes to their village was blocked by downed trees! Plenty of branches on the road and a few trees blocking half the road, but only one other fully blocked road which, although fairly lengthy, I could detour around.

The worst bit was driving along the A30 from Stockbridge towards Salisbury where it's fairly high and there's a section with just fields either side, so really exposed. Has to slow right down.

Oldmario

Thousand Master
started buying music CDs again recently and i'm quickly beginning to remember why i slowed down and stopped towards the end of the 00s, America/Japan exclusive tracks are the devil, atleast back then i could usually buy a single and get the tracks on a b-side but now it's all or nothing

RadFemHedonist

Pokémon Master
It's my dad's birthday today (he's 69) and I made him a cake...biscoff loaf cake

View attachment 23459

That looks utterly delicious, I just managed to refrain from making a joke about the number being funny after thinking that that might be a bit weird cuz he's ur dad 😅 😭 😭 😭 Have you both tried the cake yet? If so what's the verdict? I'm sure Mary Berry would give top marks for presentation at any rate, and I hope he has a lovely birthday and you get to enjoy spending it with him. I can't really bake and my mum has quite specific dietary needs but I do try to make her a card each year :)

Gemsy-chan

Soul Reaper
That looks utterly delicious, I just managed to refrain from making a joke about the number being funny after thinking that that might be a bit weird cuz he's ur dad 😅 😭 😭 😭 Have you both tried the cake yet? If so what's the verdict? I'm sure Mary Berry would give top marks for presentation at any rate, and I hope he has a lovely birthday and you get to enjoy spending it with him. I can't really bake and my mum has quite specific dietary needs but I do try to make her a card each year :)
No not had it yet, we’ll have some tonight after dinner. I can say the icing is delicious as I liked the bowl out.

Gemsy-chan

Soul Reaper
It's my dad's birthday today (he's 69) and I made him a cake...biscoff loaf cake

View attachment 23459
So i've had a slice of the cake i made and i must say i did a good job. It was delicious. I put specuulos spice in the sponge which helps off set the sweetness of the icing. (Specuulos is a spice they use in the spice biscuits you can get at christmas from places like Lidl)

Vincentdante

Cardcaptor
Hey question for the crowd. Been looking to sell my PS4 since I have had a PS5 for over a year but was being lazy. But it occured to me, could I hack it to be a region free player similar to the PS3? I've done some digging but there is precious little when it comes to what PS4 custom firmware can do so I thought I would ask to see if anyone knows?

Anime1977

Hunter
I was checking out ticket prices for ghost at the O2 next month for two people £109.70 with fees my dads guesstimate of the total cost would be £140 I'm not paying that much and I think the O2 is owned by live nation.

Oh and the cheapest tickets price is £54 per person and highist is £115 per person

awadama fever

Cardcaptor
Ticket prices for concerts are wild nowadays (especially at arenas). I used to go to loads of concerts, but I just don't think they're worth the money now.

Once you add up the cost of the actual ticket, all the random fees that get added on, the price of drinks (even soft drinks) and the cost of transport/parking (then about £35 for a t-shirt if you want), it all makes a very expensive night out.

Then if you're at an arena show, you could spend most of the night watching someone on a screen (depending on what kind of seats you've got).

If people can afford all this and enjoy it, cool - but most of it is just too expensive for me now.

Eternal chibi

Brigade Leader
Yeah it's a lot. Tool tickets are £100 for the worst seats in the arena. I like Tool, but I don't like them that much.

However, there are a lot of bands that are affordable tickets. I have seen bands that in indie circles are very highly regarded for £10 a ticket. I am seeing a German metal band called Ruins of Beverast for one of their very few UK shows ever for only £20, and this band is highly regarded.

Tricot, travelled all the way from Japan, are playing walking distance from my house, and it is £15.

The big names know they can charge a mint and get away with it, but there are still a lot of lesser known but equally impressive bands that will not do that.

Girls with Guns

Cardcaptor
The last live concert I went to was in 2017, to see Jean Michel Jarre on his Electronica Tour, in Philadelphia. We paid $550 US for just a pair of tickets, but they were well worth the cash - front row seats only 20 feet from his laser harp. Wow, what an experience!

Anime1977

Hunter
The last live concert I went to was in 2017, to see Jean Michel Jarre on his Electronica Tour, in Philadelphia. We paid $550 US for just a pair of tickets, but they were well worth the cash - front row seats only 20 feet from his laser harp. Wow, what an experience!
I've seen him once 1993 at Wembley stadium than again at Wembley arena in the late 90s and the last band I got to see was Judas priest at high voltage festival at Victoria park that was a two day festival which is also my local park.its In the East end of London.