The General Book Thread

-Danielle-

Pokémon Master
Attempting to get back into reading :)

Amazon has a 3 for £10 deal atm so I bought Until You're Mine, The Husbands Secret and Before We Met. I really want The Girl On The Train but I'll buy that after I've read these as hopefully it'll be cheaper then too.

whoa, what happened to all the book worms?

I decided to complement my own unfolding breakdown by reading Zelda Fitzgerald's Save Me the Waltz which she wrote while experiencing a complete mental breakdown of her own. I'm really enjoying it, it's a weird little book.

Jinjer

Completely Average High School Student
got the first two witcher books for a bargain in a local store, it's nice being able to dig into the source material myself after all these years of just surfing around the wiki for lore stuff

Just this minute finished The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost.

From the reviews, I see a lot of people have complained about this book. Not me, I was in my goddamn element, hence finishing it at this hour of the morning. It blurs the line between fiction and non-fiction in an almost dizzying fashion and certainly lives up to the Twin Peaks name, managing to develop multiple characters far beyond the screentime they recieved. It even managed to send the odd shiver down my spine and has me more hyped than I thought possible for the show's return.

I think one criticism is probably fair - It says on the cover "a novel" which it really isn't (though given the contents this disclaimer may have been attached to stop people reading it as non-fiction, which parts could easily pass for). No, I think The Secret History of Twin Peaks would be better described in an Eva Rebuild sense as "historical (non) fiction" - Reading it makes you actually feel like Agent Cooper investigating, to the point I now need to read up on the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest, the death of Meriwether Lewis, Project Bluebook and Jackie Gleason's connection to Richard Nixon. And if feeling the need to dictate a memo to Diane at 5:30 in the morning wasn't worth the price of admission I don't know what is.

It was my new years resolution to read more in 2017, and after starting with two Light Novels in the Bakemonogatari series, I stumbled upon this book and liked the sound of the premise. Basically it's very much like a Vault from the fallout series.

Blitzed through the first three parts of and i'm Really enjoying the authors style of writing as well as the characters and the extremely well realised world and setting he has created. Extremely good page turner that is hard to put down with the whole "just one more chapter" feel to it

Just finished The Passion of New Eve by Angela Carter. Wow, I didn't know quite what I was getting into. But brilliant novel I thought. What a wild ride. Features a dystopian American civil war between black people, militant feminists, and just about every other group you think of, a lot of rape, a transvestite Hollywood starlet, and a forced sex change. So yeah, not an easy read by any means, but it is somewhat mitigated by the persistent sense of bawdy, dark humour. Very well written and chock full of interesting concepts.
My first Carter novel and I will definitely read more.

Finished To the Lighthouse recently. Loved it. I just love Woolfs poetry prose, she captures humanity so beautifully. 10/10

Currently reading Bleak House, which is amaze. Also getting around to finishing Women on the verge: Japanese Women Western Dreams. Which is an academic book but not very jargony and I'd recommend it to anyone with a sociological interest in Japan. Great book.

Finally finished Bleak House. Loved every one of its 900 odd pages. 10/10. I read a review of it on Goodreads that described it as The Wire but in Victorian England, and that is basically what it's like but much, much better and funnier and lovelier.

I’m going to go with things on audible counting... even if they’re radio stuff!

Currently working my way through old Harry’s game again. Currently up to series 3, love it when the professors in it. Quite comical really. Raises a few chuckles.

Just finished reading Wuthering Heights for the first time. 10/10. One of the greatest novels I've ever read, it blew my socks off. It's not an easy book to love in many ways, it's an utterly tortuous, hellish vision, more a horror story than a love story. But I've rarely been so transported to another, horrible world, one which is fuelled by demonic passion alone. I feel that in all of it's excesses and unpleasantness, somehow Emily Bronte captured something potent about humanity. Crazy to think she was just 28 or 29 when she wrote this.

A Room with a View by E.M Forster. Easily one of the most charming, loveable books I've ever read. This is the first Forster I've read and wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. The characters are so likeable and well written, and the writing is beautiful and witty throughout. For an Edwardian novel It also must have been very forward thinking in it's depiction of it's heroine, Lucy. She's wonderfully written, so believable, and the struggles she faces aren't too different to that which the women of today face: supercilious men who want to be the controlling protectors of their partner, and a wider society that also thinks it knows what's best for a woman. And it lays bare the ridiculousness of English middle class manners. This was published in 1908, but to me feels as current as anything.
It's not entirely subversive, the book strongly extols the virtues of marriage and romantic love as the purest form of truth and reality (but it is a romantic novel after all, and I love all that idealistic romanticism, so it didn't bother me!), and
in the end Lucy is convinced of the light of love by a man who apparently knows best
. But it's all just so lovely. There's also a funny little appendix to the story added 50 years after it was originally published, which somehow only adds to the superlative charm of it.
10/10

edit: sorry to anyone who read this review and didn't want any spoilers, I should have pre-warned.

Last edited:
Recently read The Spire by William Golding. A historical novel about a dean of a church who is determined to build a 400 foot spire and loses his mind in the process. I thought this was a really good book. Golding's writing is incredibly evocative and dreamlike, but not dreamlike in a pleasant kind of way, it really takes you into the mind of the mad, spire obsessed priest. So it's a pretty dark and heavy read, and yet certain chapters seem to just nebulously and almost beautifully float by. Certain aspects of the story are only ever obliquely made reference to and sometimes it all seems a bit muddily, but while I'm sure much did simply go over my head, I think it does such a fantastic job of putting you inside the mind of someone descending into the depths of insanity while his rickety spire is shooting into the sky.

The only other Golding book I've read is Free Fall, and I think I really like his writing, it's certainly not easy going or uplifting but incredibly beautiful in places nonetheless. I need to read Lord of the Flies.

Last edited: