The General Book Thread

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Yeah, I'll definitely need good luck with that! I did actually give that presentation today :lol: I thought it was pretty decent! I did it on the Yasukuni shrine controversy. I also think I was lucky enough to have my presentation seem ever better than it really was, due to the fact that the person following me gave the most ridiculous presentation I've ever heard in my life. It was a pro Shell/ BP oil corporation presentation on how they have helped enrich Nigeria and Nigerians. Practically every single "fact" he quoted and graph he showed was straight up propaganda sourced from the Shells website :lol: and he was so passionate about it you'd genuinely think he was on the payroll! I love that guy though, after the class he even pressed the teacher to give him conformation that he'll get top marks. Most bizarrely of all though...she agreed! :eek: :| :? :lol: I think I need to try some of these Shell enforcer tactics for myself!

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
He also opened his presentation by reciting a poem he'd written about our teacher (which it seems was actually a damn savvy move, rather than the simple sweet gesture I initially thought it was), and closed the presentation with the line "Shell, more grease to your elbow!". Amazing. Much love to him though, he put his heart into it.

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
Just finished A Clash of Kings and it was awesome. Managed to somehow be better than the first book, though it's ending isn't quite as good. Not to say it's a bad ending or anything, it just isn't as big an ending as the last book. Certainly lots of interesting stuff seems to be ahead, but won't be getting onto that until I read my next set of books; The Maze Runner trilogy.

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
The Maze Runner

So the sticker on the front says "for fans of The Hunger Games" and while I'd say that there is the similarity in the sense that both are post apocalyptic futuristic settings there's some key differences between the two.

The use of alternative slang words helps to create a sense of being in a really different place/time, add in the mystery surrounding the "Glade" and its inhabitants and it really gives a strange aura to the book. It's a lot more sci-fi in that regard and I liked that about it, creating a very different feeling world. Not knowing everything straight away helped too, you feel yourself very much in the same position as Thomas of wanting to know just what is going on but never getting a straight answer, leading to a little frustration admittedly. There were times I found myself saying "I just don't know where this is going exactly".

Thomas as a main character I felt was a little bland though. I couldn't really describe who he is, I thought the supporting cast were actually represented a little better in this respect. My other complaint would be that this does very much feel like just a part, it doesn't work as well as a stand alone quite as much as The Hunger Games. It'll be interesting to see how the trilogy as a whole holds up.

-Danielle-

Death Scythe
A romantic book got delivered to my yesterday called The First Last Kiss. Not usually my genre but Me Before You surprised me and even made me cry so I've been yearning for something similar since. Don't think I'm going to get even close though, but I'll see with this book.

Still wanting to get something from Chuck Palahnuick (sp) but can't decide what!

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
Finished the Maze Runner Trilogy now after reading The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure. And it is just plain bad.

I like the mysterious sci-fi elements of the first book, but the second book quickly descended into just being very plain. For some reason lots of attempted fights were thrown in over the last 2 books to try and make it more of an action story, but none of them were particularly good or gripping. And the overuse of the scenario/phrase "he told them about x, y, z. He told them about it all", was just so annoying. I have no idea who Thomas was as a character, except that he had a penchant for being knocked unconscious, it seriously happens a ridiculous amount of times! And the ending was just there. It didn't offer any conclusion or explain anything (there was a throwaway epilogue that tried to but the logic in it was just idiotic.)

Despite the books being short and the chapters very short as I got further on with these books they became an harder and harder for me to force myself to read. Thank God they're over with, back to some good ole' George R.R. Martin next.

Mutsumi

Guild Member
Let me tell you, you're in for a real treat with ASoIaF book 3, 20CB. Some big events happening in that book, and it'll keep you wanting to read more and more. Introduces one of my favourite side-characters too; Oberyn Martell. Go read it! :)

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
Mutsumi said:
Let me tell you, you're in for a real treat with ASoIaF book 3, 20CB. Some big events happening in that book, and it'll keep you wanting to read more and more. Introduces one of my favourite side-characters too; Oberyn Martell. Go read it! :)
Finished A Storm of Swords Part 1 last night and absolutely loved it. Might've been my favourite of the series so far, at this point it's focussed so much on the characters I like and even those I didn't before have gotten more interesting and are used a bit more sparingly too. I was quite caught off guard by the death of Mormont. Seriously, the Night's Watch has gone to hell, didn't see that coming. I totally thought they were going to be a solid force as things went on, the only people who knew of and were fighting the real war.

My plan thus far has been to read a book from this series and in between read a couple of other books, but now I'm thinking of just sticking to this series until I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mutsumi

Guild Member
If you think THAT was sudden and harsh, wait until the next popular character's death. And for crying out loud, avoid spoilers like the plague! A big event from book 3:2 has featured in season 3 of Game of Thrones, and therefore with people discussing it, posting reaction videos, etc, spoilers are rife, so be careful.

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
Yeah, I've been avoiding them totally. It seemed quite hard to do because you'd just find people online in forums/threads/articles unrelated to the books/show at all saying things like "this news has made me almost as shocked as the ending to season 3 of Game of Thrones". Will be glad once I'm past this book and get ahead of the show.

Mutsumi

Guild Member
It was a combination of fear of spoilers and fear of the show being cancelled that spurred me on to start on the books after watching season one. That decision has gotten me back into books in general. :D

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Been reading Gai-jin by James Clavell. The only other book in his Oriental Saga I've read is Shogun, and I loved that. I'm not sure what order your supposed to read these books in, but I would imagine it perhapes would have been more ideal to go through some of the other books about the 'Noble House' before getting on to Gai-jin. But funds are low and Gai-Jin was lent to me, so I'm just getting stuck into this. Only a hundred or so pages in but really enjoying it, no doubt it's going to be another epic- but you could tell as much from the massive length of the book alone, coming in at over 1500 pages.

Mutsumi

Guild Member
So I finished 'A Dance with Dragons'...

I do not think Jon Snowwill be dead. There are theories thatJon Snow will become Azor Ahai reborn. It is also theorised that he is actually the son on Rhaegar Targaryan and Lyanna Stark, making him aTargaryan. I am glad thatStannis is still alive, but will things turn out well in the fight versus theBastardof Bolton?

She of many faces, I watch her story with the most intrigue. Can't wait for book 6; The Winds of Winter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amon81

Student Council President
I've been looking around for a new zombie series to listen to at work (as I can have a headphone in as I work nights). I saw Zombie Fallout mentioned on reddit.

I stared it last week, only about 2 hours into 10 of book 1 so far. Its written in first person POV much like the rather good Day By Day Armageddon (but not in diary form).

So far its good. Nice to know there are 7 books so far if it stays like this.

PandoraHane

Vampire Ninja
Really just got backing into reading for enjoyment now that I have a LOT of spare time. I decided to do the general 'let's read what's popular' so I've gone through 'The Hunger Games' series and now I'm reading 'The Fault in our Stars'. I've got 'Looking for Alaska' and the 'Divergent' series to go through next.

I finally came across a book I've been searching for for years. It's called 'The Icarus Girl'. I remember reading it at 12 years old and finding it nightmare inducing (I'm a wimp :lol: ). I really want to read it again to find out if it was just my age or if I still am a coward! I found out the author was 18 when she wrote it and I have to say, from what I remember, it was very impressive for someone so young.

LukasROAR

Straw Hat Pirate
Currently reading Haruki Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

I'd say Murakami is my favourite living novelist and even though i'm only 20 pages in, i'm really enjoying this one so far.

He has such a unique style of writing that I truly love.

Norwegian Wood, Dance Dance Dance and Wind Up Bird Chronicle are probably my favourites of his.